Hello from Miami, FL

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msconce1980

Reaction score
Hello! I currently live with an elderly family member whose delusions from dementia over the past year are putting me (and others) at risk (they spontaneously make claims like they are being stalked, raped, kidnapped, poisoned, etcetera). I feel I would be better off and safer living elsewhere, but my income is not great, nor is my income-to-debt ratio. Hence, I am considering living in a car or something rather than burdening friends. I can then continue caring for the family member only periodically like weekly until the time comes to move them into an ALF or something.

I am self-employed and work remotely in education, teaching live over Zoom. I currently earn about $20,000 USD during each school year. This is not enough to afford a place of my own in Miami (would probably need to double my income). I would prefer to live in my own apartment rather than in a car, but what can I do.

I do not yet own a vehicle. I could probably save at least $5,000 for one by December 2022.

I am a member of Planet Fitness already.

I was considering renting a small office space for about $600 per month so I could have a reliable internet connection in order to continue to work when I lived in a vehicle.

If it has any bearing, I am within four months away from being eligible for a job doing beginning actuarial work. I have a very strong math background, but no computer programming experience at the moment except for knowing the basics of Python and R (I don't find it difficult at all though).

What do you think?

It sounds like the time has already come if you and others feel threatened. With Internet now available through satellite your job could be done almost anywhere. We had a seasonal worker last year that also taught night classes via the internet. The seasonal day job provided housing and internet. Check coolworks.com for jobs that might be flexible enough you could still teach. Maybe like a night auditor at a front desk at a lodge. Lots of possibilities! Welcome by the way!

I am self-employed and work remotely in education, teaching live over Zoom. I currently earn about $20,000 USD during each school year. This is not enough to afford a place of my own in Miami (would probably need to double my income). I would prefer to live in my own apartment rather than in a car, but what can I do.
It is very uncomfortable to spend extended time in a metal box in south FL. It is hot and humid almost every day and many nights. An AC and an electrical hookup to run it, are essential. While parked in my driveway, the inside temperature of my van reaches triple digits daily. When in motion, the OEM AC can keep the cabin comfortable, with the engine off, it only takes a few minutes for the temperature to rise above comfortable levels.

As a landlord, I'm very aware of market rate rent levels. Miami-Dade, Broward, and Monroe county are very expensive. Have you considered co-housing opportunities in mobile home parks? As Bullfrog suggested, there are live-work and house sitting opportunities out there. Admittedly, finding them can be challenging without a wide network to draw from.

I would strongly discourage living in a vehicle without a wanderlust calling you to it. Living full time in an RV is a challenging way of life. In a lesser vehicle it's even more challenging. Doing it on a budget makes it harder still.

If you have the ability to travel anywhere, then you have the ability to live anywhere. Sure a vehicle dwelling payment is cheaper than renting in an apartment in a Miami Beach high-rise. But it may not be cheaper than renting a single wide trailer in Lake City.

Don't believe the hype. Living in a vehicle is not the solution to the affordable housing problem for most of us.

I am self-employed and work remotely in education, teaching live over Zoom. I currently earn about $20,000 USD during each school year. This is not enough to afford a place of my own in Miami (would probably need to double my income). I would prefer to live in my own apartment rather than in a car, but what can I do...
Do you make too much to be eligible for subsidized housing?

Check Jacksonville State there in FL. They're often looking for adjunct professors for online classes. Also, Pearson Education often has need for test graders and writers online... They could add that extra 20k you need to get on your own down there.

Best of Luck!

Cheers

Hmm, test graders -- how does that work?