Hello from Texas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueridge

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been living in a GMC truck and slide in camper for the last eight years.   

Mostly on the west coast, and pacific northwest, but also a year or two on the east coast.

I'm currently working in Texas, saving up to go back on the road for awhile, and I'd like to switch to a van this time.

I'm visiting this site to learn more about how to build my own camper van.

Lots of great information here, Thanks, John

Welcome to the CRVL forums blueridge!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Blue Ridge-

Welcome to the Forum! I think you'll find so much (maybe TOO much!) useful information here on building out your own camper van.
What's been your experience with living out of a slide-in truck camper for past 8 years that makes you want a camper van instead (if you don't mind my asking?)

I'll be interested to follow your journey here and see what transpires....

Take good care, see you around-

FG

I'd be curious to know why you are switching from a truck camper to a van, too. I'm just starting, and I got a truck and slide-in camper.

Why am I switching to a van.  How I use the vehicle changed over time.  

Originally I would work short duration contracts, then I would take time off and travel to remote parts of the US for a few months, and then I'd go back to work.  

I chose a 4x4 truck, and a pop-up truck camper because the low height would allow me to explore back country more, and get away from it all.

I also picked my seasons for travel and for work.  

I wouldn't work a contract in a hot and humid place because I didn't have air conditioning.  And I'd always pick my travel locations based on their best seasons.  Not too hot, not too cold.

The biggest surprise was how much time I ended up spending in cities, maybe half the time.  And a van works better in the city than a pop-up camper.   And in the back country, I found if I drove 100 yards off of pavement, I owned it.   You don't need 4x4 to get away from it all.

But the biggest change was the nature of my work, I don't have as much flexibility on time of year and  location.

I can't always choose the best season, so I need more insulation and I need to be comfortable in a wider range of temperatures.

I think I can accomplish this better with a van.  I think a van will be better for sleeping in busy and noisy cities, I'll be able insulate the noise too.

A camper and a truck is great for off the beaten path, and by far, the pop-up camper worked great for being in the back country.   

It has been a great choice for me, it could be a great choice for you.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Best piece of advice I received while shopping for a camper was this: [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Buy the simplest camper you think will work for you (I bought an empty shell with a few options) and get out on the road and use your camper.   "Add" things based on how you end up using the camper.   Solve the problems that annoy you on the road ... [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Because how you use it, and what you really need will be far less than you imagined, and your real needs will be different than you thought.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Best advice ever (and it saved me a ton of money).[/font]

Welcome! There is so much to read here that your brain might explode; mine often feels like it will! But you've got lots of on-road experience already so it should be easier for you :)