Hello from Texas ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High humidity combined with the heat has gotten where it keeps me drained of energy. Got to fix that. lol

I bought an older 1993 Chevy van belonging to a city dept. at an online auction and have been working on it. Maybe it will get me by until I run across something else that will work better for me.

I have a friend that bought some land and eventually built a cabin at Pagosa Springs years ago. He had mentioned a couple of times about me making a trip up there but timing never worked. Then recently I asked about the cabin but he had already turned it over to his heirs. Who promptly sold it. So much for that.

Welcome aboard !
A little experience and a good sense of humor will go far around here.
It seems you have both !

Ask anything you need to know about and be ready for more answers than you know what to do with. Lots of knowledge accumulated here in the tribe....

On people posting replies....
Some do and some don't
Some will and some won't
Wait a while and you'll get lots more!

Hi there, and welcome!  I'm new to all of this as well.  I'm at the point where I have a rig (class B van) and am learning all about it so that, hopefully, I can maintain it well and prevent as many trips to the shop as possible.  Looks like I'll be working with a mobile mechanic at home for right now which is awesome because the shop, well, sometimes they treat the ladies differently, and I'm no fan of that.  I'm a Louisiana gal for now but hope to become a true vandweller in the future, the country as my backyard.  The humidity and increasing prevalence of these devastating hurricanes has me wanting out, out, out of my home state.  I want out anyway but it's just more reason to go.  Have so many in my thoughts now and hope they are getting all they need.  Going out for 3-6 months soon (yay, finally!) to see how that goes.  With any luck, January 2018, will attend my first RTR.  If I succeed, time to rent out the house, trade the car in for a 4x4 or sell it.  I wish you the best in your plans and believe all will work out.  PS, I went through Pagosa Springs and loved the area, did not camp as I was onward to Durango.  Ouray and Telluride took my breath away.  I want to go at least once a year to that little corner of the earth.  I ramble, anyway, best wishes!

TexasWoman said:
42 views and only one howdy?

Well...howdy TexasWoman. 

I have relatives in the Denton area north of you and also in Plano. I travel to see them quite often and even have my regular maintenance done on my van by a mechanic in Lewisville. I don't know who boondocks there.  I have boondocked in the Texas panhandle several times and the folks there were pretty friendly.

Dream True said:
Your camping trip sounds wonderful. I haven't been to Pagosa Springs in years but I remember that it was lovely. 

I have camped all over Colorado except, oddly enough, around the Four Corners or Ouray areas. Soon I hope. I like hot springs too. I've been to Mt Princeton hot springs, Glenwood Springs and ,just recently, on my way home from the Tetons, Hobo hot springs in Saratoga WY.  I image I'll be searching out hot springs when I start full time just so I can have a hot bath :D

I have only been to Texas once. I spent almost a week in Austin and had a ball. Great city. I really want to get to Padre Island. I think my dogs would love to play on the beach. Fortunately I heard the area was spared the devastation from Harvey. I hope that's true.

The Ouray hot springs were just remodeled and reopened this summer.  Definitely will be one of the first places I go to when I hit the road.
I talked to a forum member who is camping out in northern NM taking advantage of their great state park pass.  Wish I was there!

Padre is nice .. I can only take the beach for limited amounts of time.

duckwonder said:
Hi there, and welcome!  I'm new to all of this as well.  I'm at the point where I have a rig (class B van) and am learning all about it so that, hopefully, I can maintain it well and prevent as many trips to the shop as possible.  Looks like I'll be working with a mobile mechanic at home for right now which is awesome because the shop, well, sometimes they treat the ladies differently, and I'm no fan of that.  I'm a Louisiana gal for now but hope to become a true vandweller in the future, the country as my backyard.  The humidity and increasing prevalence of these devastating hurricanes has me wanting out, out, out of my home state.  I want out anyway but it's just more reason to go.  Have so many in my thoughts now and hope they are getting all they need.  Going out for 3-6 months soon (yay, finally!) to see how that goes.  With any luck, January 2018, will attend my first RTR.  If I succeed, time to rent out the house, trade the car in for a 4x4 or sell it.  I wish you the best in your plans and believe all will work out.  PS, I went through Pagosa Springs and loved the area, did not camp as I was onward to Durango.  Ouray and Telluride took my breath away.  I want to go at least once a year to that little corner of the earth.  I ramble, anyway, best wishes!

Hey duckwonder ..

I live in north central TX away from the coast (thank God) but this hurricane business is for the birds!
We have had gas lines and gas stations running out of gas. Crazy.
My brother rode out Katrina in New Orleans .. gotta be tough to live on the coast.

The drive you are talking about, from Durango to Telluride, has to be one of the most wonderful in the world.
I had no idea until I drove it ... Wow!  

Are you driving or flying to RTR?

I have a friend in Phoenix who wants to go since I told her about it.
She and her boyfriend were driving by Quartzite this afternoon coming back from L.A.
When I called her, she said she was just thinking about me ... 

So let me know if you ever want to talk on the phone sometime.
Just PM me and we can share info.

Best,

Texas Woman
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Van on 66 said:
Well...howdy TexasWoman. 

I have relatives in the Denton area north of you and also in Plano. I travel to see them quite often and even have my regular maintenance done on my van by a mechanic in Lewisville. I don't know who boondocks there.  I have boondocked in the Texas panhandle several times and the folks there were pretty friendly.

Thanks for the howdy!

We need to get a Texas group together on this forum ...

I would like to do Palo Duro canyon on my way over to Colorado/NM next trip.

Let me know next time you are coming this way.

Best,

Texas Woman

TexasWoman said:
The Ouray hot springs were just remodeled and reopened this summer.  Definitely will be one of the first places I go to when I hit the road.
I talked to a forum member who is camping out in northern NM taking advantage of their great state park pass.  Wish I was there!

Thank you for the info about Ouray hot springs. That's what is great about this forum - good information.

I camped NM for the first time last March and kept asking myself why did I wait so long. Very pretty and even without the yearly pass the state campgrounds are reasonably priced, half the price of a CO state campground.

Dream True said:
Thank you for the info about Ouray hot springs. That's what is great about this forum - good information.

I camped NM for the first time last March and kept asking myself why did I wait so long. Very pretty and even without the yearly pass the state campgrounds are reasonably priced, half the price of a CO state campground.

Yes, I think NM is going to be my home spot .. with excursions into Colorado that should keep me pretty busy.

I'm going to look at a van today.  Kind of exciting!

If you or anyone else on here want to talk on the phone sometime, send me a PM ....

Texas Woman

TexasWoman said:
Yes, I think NM is going to be my home spot .. with excursions into Colorado that should keep me pretty busy.

I'm going to look at a van today.  Kind of exciting!

If you or anyone else on here want to talk on the phone sometime, send me a PM ....

Texas Woman

Hi there, TexasWoman,  East Texas here (lived and worked DFW many years) now mostly part timing, just got back today from floating/paddling the Illinois river in Arkansas traveling in a Transit Van with My Lab/German Shepherd mix dog Rosie. Did the RTR last year then N California, New mexico, Colorado. will probably do RTR this coming year, then considering Alaska for the summer

frater secessus said:
There are a several of us from DFW.  I work in Mesquite and live about an hour east in Rains county.

Hi there frater ...

Maybe we should have a Texas summit gathering sometime and meet each other in person ...

What do you think?

I'd like to see that - I'm in Plano and I'm looking into doing this full time sometime in the next year or two.

duckwonder said:

How are your plans coming along?  I haven't been on this forum in awhile.  Were you able to make it to the RTR?  If so, how did it go?

TexasWoman

Hi TexasWoman. I should say "Howdy"!! As a kid, my grandparents used to go to the hot springs in Calistoga, CA and they loved it. You might check the wine country (and the wine) in northern California. And the redwoods.

High TW. I was born and raised in Euless, Texas. Joined the Military After High School. Only go back to Texas to visit family. Going to Texas in October to see my Sis. Good luck on your on the road adventures.