hello from southeast Missouri

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the CRVL forums Jeep! Tell us a bit more about yourself! Will you be traveling or staying in Missouri?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Wow, good for you! That doesn't seem like much space but more power to you for planning to live on wheels!

--joe

Hiya Jeep4venturing! Best of luck.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

With your rig ready to go and the help you can get here,  you should have a great time out there.  

I'd invite you to check out the bottom link in my signature line below as it is a resource to make life on the
road easier.   You will be able to plan better and see interesting places you may otherwise drive right by.

There is a lot to see out there in the USA.

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

With your rig ready to go and the help you can get here,  you should have a great time out there.  

I'd invite you to check out the bottom link in my signature line below as it is a resource to make life on the
road easier.   You will be able to plan better and see interesting places you may otherwise drive right by.

There is a lot to see out there in the USA.

I want to get a class B van but I need to save some money first and pay cash for a van. I lived out of the jeep last summer for2 weeks so it can be done. I will post a pic soon

I am in CoMo, Stuck in the middle. There is actually a small tribe living here. (Stuck in Mizzery) Atleast a half dozen scattered around.

Do you want a Factory built Class B ?  Or would you want to fix up your own rig using a high top cargo Van ?

This photo looks a lot like my rig.  It's a 1 ton E 350 Ford Econoline Cargo Van.

90_E350.jpg

From the back of the front seats to the rear doors there is about 11 ft of usable room to build in.
The ceiling allows me to walk with about 2 or 3 inches of head space. ( I'm about 6 ft tall)   I've fixed it up
for a bed over the rear wheels,  and a cabinet where the top has a sink and a slim
2 burner propane gas stove.    This is illustrated in the first link below "Van Conversion"
on page 3.   The benefit is that I can remove all of this in minutes and restore it to a Cargo Van should I need
to haul something. (since I'm still living in my home and may need that utility)

Mine has a 351 V8 with Auto Overdrive.  On the road I may get 14 or 16 mpg if I drive it at lower speeds
like 55 mph.   But I'm not going to be in any hurry to go anywhere when I'm full timing.  

My final transmission gear in OD is   0.70:1 and he rear axle ratio is 3.54 so my engine is turning around 1550 rpm's @ 55 mph.  And I'm not carrying much weight.

Just describing this to illustrate a Cargo Van's set up and flexibility.

I want one already done. I barely missed out on a 4x4 van that needed some work but found another that has been setting a while for$1500 so I might go for it later.

I've known a few guys who sold RV's and the agencies that they worked for weren't so interested in Class B's.
When I asked them why,  they explained the owners didn't care for the "automobile nature" of them,  which meant that they were seen as Vans with RV interiors.  So they didn't want to display them on their lots.  If they took one in  on trade they would call a company that would buy it from them and put it on their network of Used Car Lots after having it detailed and gone over.  The owners only wanted Class A, & C or Trailers or pop up's.

So when shopping for Class B's the market has been for Hunters & Fishermen,  Couples without kids who want to travel or tour,   or  A Father who wants to take his kids out into nature for fishing, camping, and relaxation....basically.    You may find a lot of Class B's sitting around at homes where the kids have grown up and are away at College,  or have married,  and it isn't getting much use now. (like the one you mentioned above) 

The guys I've known who sold RV's told me that the market for the things isn't as wide as it would be for a Class C.   So you may find some good deals on these if you are in camp grounds and see them and talk to the owners
about how much use they are getting out of them.   Often I've seen them in campgrounds with For Sale signs on them while they are out for a week end.   The idea of placing ad's on Craigs or in newspapers stating,  "looking for used Class B"  may work also.