Hello from Northern Nevada

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4GNomad

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a recent site visitor and am currently researching my way to eventually get myself to a van living lifestyle. I was browsing some Youtube videos and coming across the Without Bound documentary. Bob, Randy, Laurie, and the others in the documentary where so inspiring to watch and it really kickstarted my interest to seeking out this lifestyle once again. I hope that one day I can meet these great people and thank them for sharing their lives with others and inspiring me to get off my ass and do something about it.

For the past couple of years I have been yearning to get into a minimalist lifestyle and was actually looking at tiny houses to fulfill the need. Since they are pretty expensive to build or purchase, I started looking at RVs as an alternative. These are a bit cheaper, but as I did my research and what I really want to do with the lifestyle, van dwelling with some stealth camping seems to be the way to go.

I am in my early 40s and have spent some time on what I have done and what I still want to do travelwise and to finally feel like I am "living" a life, instead of working one. I am currently reading Vanabode and will be reading Bob Wells book next as I just purchased both in the last couple of days. I have already started looking at vans and trying to figure out what will be better suited for what I am trying to do. I came across this van the other day...

JNyRMVN.jpg

It is a 2001 E-350SD XLT, Extended Wagon, 5.4L V8 EFI, 4-Speed Automatic, RWD. Would any of you consider this for a van dwelling. I know it is a pax version, but I am curious if I could still make this into a stealth van. One of the reasons I was drawn to it was the low mileage of just over 50,000 miles. It is near the price range I was looking at (under 10K) for getting started. The other option is to keep my existing vehicle (AWD Saturn Vue) and get a cargo trailer and setup a stealth cargo trailer similar to what Randy Vining has done. I will continue to do some research and figure out the plusses and minuses of each, but appreciate any feedback from users here based on your own experiences.

I hope to have a blog/YT setup in the next few weeks so I can share my experience with others as I make the transition and hopefully inspire others and family members and friends who seem to be stuck the same way I am with not being able to travel and stay home to just pay bills and get by.

I look forward to discussions with others here as well as learn and enjoy from your experiences as well.

Take care and enjoy life!

Welcome Funkyuncle! We're very glad you're here! That's a beautiful van and would make an awesome van home!! If the price is right and a mechanic says it's a good one, I'd grab it right up!

We're here for you every step of the way!
Bob

Welcome to the CRVL forums,FunkyUncle! The van is beautiful and could do well. One thing that is a priority for me is a high top or at least a bubble top. Having to live my life stooped over is not negotiable.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

That is a gorgeous van! I love it. There's a link under "Other Conversions" on how to add a High Top, because Cyndi's right about not wanting to spend your life stooped over. However, that's a modification you could make down the road (so to speak). Welcome to the group!

Thanks for the welcoming. Great to meet new people online with similar interests, etc. Being hunched over all the time is a concern now as I am 6' 2 and a rather bulky fellow. :) I will continue to do research and look at other options. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to future discussions with all of you.