Hello Everyone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnTravel

Reaction score
I am new to this site, I have been reading many of the posts for awhile. I am picking up our van on Saturday a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. I am going to purchase a kit from a gentleman at Gonecamper.com in Wisconsin. My wife and I will be camping 2-5 days at a time mostly in TN state parks. A little  about me, I am 56 years old and recently took early retirement . Previously I was a special education teacher in an elementary school for 15 years and prior to that I was a soldier in the Army for 23 years. I was a combat medic and flight medic for most of my career working in Hueys and UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters. My goal is to be as well prepared as possible for anything that could come up on our little camping trips. I am not very experienced in mechanical repairs and am very nervous about electric and batteries. If you were shot or hit by a bus I would be all over it and stabiize you in a heartbeat LOL, I have been reading posts for a while now my current question I need help on is this. I plan on using 12v DC accessories for everything we use in the van. The only item we will use that is not 12v is a Keurig mini coffee maker. This will keep the wife happy and of course happy wife happy life. My question it is rated at 1470 watts. Will a 1500 or 2000 watt inverter portable generator run just that coffee maker safely or can a house battery used only for that be used? please help me out. We will take some long trips and I hope to see some of you regulars on the road or at an event. Thanks for reading. I hope to pick everyone's brain. There is an incredible amount of knowledge on here.
Thanks
Jim Galloway

It should run off a 2000 watt inverter. The don't stay powered on for all that many minutes.

As to being nervous...the only cure I know of is gaining experience. So every month it will get a little easier.

Welcome Jim to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

2,000 should run it, you want some cushion. 1500 watts is cutting it to close.

highdesertranger

Thanks for the advice that is what I was thinking. I appreciate your reply.
Jim

As you go up in altitude, the generator will not put out as much. As HDR said, 2000 should be enough.

I run my generator in the morning for coffee and the batteries get a nice bump for the start of solar charging.

A follow-up question I know you guys and gals will know. If you have x amount of 12 volt plugs in a vehicle  am I correct in assuming that the battery and electrical system can handle all of them being used at once?
Jim

Exactly what is plugged into or will be plugged into those outlets?

Welcome!

It all depends on how they are fused and if your cumulative load doesn't exceed the fuse. You can only run devices up to the maximum that your fuse(s) will handle. If you plug stuff into every outlet and they do not cumulatively exceed the fuse rating of that circuit, you are good to go. They may be split over more than one circuit.

These outlets are normally (factory unless RV) wired to your starting (engine/chassis) battery and could leave you stranded if they work with the engine off.

My intent is to only charge things like cell phones and perhaps a tablet. Anything else like a fan will be 12v type plugs, nothing like a refrigerator or anything. I was just curious if I could use all the 12v plugs at once with items rated for 12v. I have decided that the only real appliance I am going to use is a coffeemaker that I will use with a small portable generator rated for just that appliance. I plan to be a weekender due to circumstances but if I ever went full time I would most def have a full fledged bank of batteries and from reading on here the most solar I could get lol. 
Thanks
Jim

B and C
Thanks for the reply, I also wanted to say that I plan to upgrade the vehicle battery to the best AGM deep cycle battery I can afford and I will be buying a voltminder monitor with a built in alarm that will let me know when to start and run the vehicle if needed.
Jim

They make car adapters to charge your cell phone and tablet, no need for an inverter (double losses in the conversion). Anything you can run from a vehicle 12V outlet is a plus.

^^^^^^yep! French press is my favorite. I have always just used glass with no issues -but may need to do a stainless upgrade for $25.00. t

B and C,
Thanks that looks really cool and has piqued my wife's interest. will check into this. Also a terrific price point.
Jim

Sofisintown said:
Dear Jim Galloway,
The best coffee money can buy is made in a French press....
I totally agree, and I'll have another cup please.

My first solar appliance was a luci light from REI. That's the light I use to read by, lasts about 3 hours on full.

Sometimes I use a hot drink in the morning in camp, but I am just as happy popping the top on a can and skipping the hot drink. Some ppl prefer diet Pepsi but I am partial to ginseng tea.
-crofter

Latest posts