HELLO DEAR NOMADS !

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy108

Reaction score
i sold my car last week and bought a van !!!!  i can't wait to get it built !   i plan on just using my own furniture to build it....dining room table to be a platform for my bed...my desk (marble top) to be my kitchen (put propane stove on top) & to have a nice place to sit & write & eat.  I plan on getting solar power ( i have a ladder rack on top ).   I will use my bookcases to make cupboards....i want to insulate it with non toxic material (wool).  Use that poly foam stuff for floor insulation.  Maybe cedar wood for paneling (bug repellant)

I've been working in health care all of my life.  Have 3 grown kids. I write poetry and paint. I hope to have more time to write and do artwork when i finally get on the road to freedom.....

Hope to meet you someday !!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Gypsy to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forums Gypsy.   :)

Congratulations on acquiring a  Van.  That's the first big hurtle.  Even if you just drive it around a week or two getting used to driving, parking, and getting used to maneuvering it in traffic that is a big step you need to get down early.   Like having your own horse and becoming one with it.  It will be your vehicle and home too so take it out on some day trips to make sure you can depend on it first before starting your building.

It is great that you have a plan for it too and materials & resources to pursue those goals.

Let me invite you to view the two websites below in my signature space.  The first addresses fixing up your first rig.  It doesn't  go into insulation or wiring in a big way but anyone can do that in time.  This is more for just getting a rig set up for the basics in nicer weather.  It will be most helpful for those like myself who are still with one foot in both worlds.   

The second site is a bunch of helpful things to know about as you travel.  Cause once you're out there by yourself 
in areas that you've never been in before it can be a bit daunting.   Yet if you have a laptop and can find a WIFI to access the internet with, that info will be at your fingertips and handy as a compass for your travels.

All the best !

WOOHOO! Congrats. Smart move using what you own for some of your build! Go for it! Your excitement is fab! Best of luck in your new adventures!

CONGRATULATIONS! You didn't say what type of van. Weight must be taken into consideration during the build out and after. Depending on the van marble table top could limit what you can carry in the future. Generally, you'll find the GVRW (gross vehicle weight rating) inide the driver's side door panel

Two 9f my very favorite van renovations were done with re-purposed house furniture.

Cheri's high top conversion AKA Hulk
https://www.cheaprvliving.com/?s=Cheri&submit=Go

And Mike the Mechanic's van (has since been sold)
https://www.cheaprvliving.com/conve...n-traditional-normal-feel-great-organization/

Gypsy108 said:
i plan on just using my own furniture to build it....

Great idea, that's what I did! I was/am an antique dealer, and my vehicle is a short bus, not a van, but I think it does show you don't need built-ins to make a vehicle work. 

I know promoting your channels and blogs and all is generally not warmly welcomed here, but since others have posted links to favorite furniture-based builds, I figured I'd put my own, since it's my favorite (though I'm obviously biased!): https://MaxMini.TV/SkoolieTour

Good luck with everything!

Firebird - I love how you have used old furniture and other items in unusual ways. All of the color is great too!

To clear up what may be misunderstood by forum members: Posting your personal blog or youtube channel is encouraged but new members must have at least 10 posts before including links. Posting in an attempt to draw members away from the forum is not permitted. Contacting members by PMs to draw them to your site is not permitted. There have been instances of people joining the forums and sending PMs to multiple members with false information about the CRVL forums in an attempt to build up their own sites. Please report any activities like this.

Since some of us have limited data posting photos along with a video link is helpful.

Thanks for clarifying. I got the impression from some past threads that, though not forbidden, it was considered bad form by many on the site. Good to know it's welcomed!

Thank you Highdesertranger . ( I love the desert btw ).

Thank you eDJ_ for all the valuable info ! I AM bonding with my van ! And dreaming of how to make him tame enough to dwell inside his magnificent body !

Thank you RoamerRV428 I'm going nuts trying to decide how this or that will fit, and how to make it all work...I have a LOT of nice furniture pieces that will look gorgeous as well as functional...it is a project i WILL have fun with !

Thank you Cyndi ....it's a 2016 Nissan/2500 ! Only 40,000 miles I named HIM : MAHARAJA ! Being that it is a heavy duty cargo van, i think a marble table top might work...but it is VERY heavy...so i will make sure it will work before i install it !

Thank you Firebuild ! I love your sense of humor...and sweet little home you have !!!
It reminded me of a real gypsy's home :) I subbed, and will watch the rest of your videos too !

I am very excited to get to know you all.......thank you !!!!

Hi Gypsy... congratulations on getting a van. I just bought one too... I'm starting with the floor. I have a plan - I just need building materials now. Good idea to use furniture you love.

Gypsy108 said:
Thank you Firebuild !   I love your sense of humor...and sweet little home you have !!!
It reminded me of a real gypsy's home :)     I subbed, and will watch the rest of your videos too !  

I am very excited to get to know you all.......thank you !!!!

I saw the subscription, I'm honored! Thanks you for visiting my little vardo!

Good luck with everything.

Hi Travelaround !

Congrats to you too !!!
I haven’t started anything yet ...still trying to arrange everything in my head...but I hope to get it mostly done this summer.... because I’m freaking out already about winter coming, and now I won’t fit inside a garage....and I can’t take off yet as I need to work to pay off the van...but when I’m done, I’ll take off like a bat outa hell ?

Also thinking about getting heated floors...anyone have them here ?

I'll be watching these threads. I am going to look at a van on Tuesday and already have a floor plan figured out. I had been thinking of selling my furniture, BUT, you have given me the idea to USE my furniture. It's not fancy stuff but it is strong. Thanks, maybe we will see each other out and about.   :)