HEAT can we adapt?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofter

Reaction score
This thread is about dealing safely with high heat. Going north or to high mountain areas has traditionally been the go to for hot weather. This year we saw heat extremes is areas previously thought to be summer dweller areas.

How much heat can the human body stand?

Does your body adapt to heat (the thinner blood theory)?

How much cooling does your body require to survive high heat?

What are solutions?

These are some questions to discuss on this thread.
-crofter

Some real life rescues:

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-...s-render-aid-dehydrated-individuals-mountains

And fatals:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article253227228.html

With many more examples reported. Many years ago I made a pact with my climbing partner that we were not doing anything that required a helicopter rescue. As in no excessive human error please.

But in the above examples, travelers were pitting themselves against predictable climate extremes and known human limitations. Accept your limits.

One woman died trying to get a mountaintop photo. Well it better be a pic of the sunrise, bc in Phoenix sunset time on a hot day is STILL too hot to be on foot, without water, & without climate modifiers (and possibly a support team).

Viewers beware: in van dwelling there is no support team & no helicopter rescue, unless you brought the support team & helicopter with you. Unlike TV shows where the reality star always makes it, IRL you may not.
-crofter

the key to pay attention to is wet-bulb temperature which is a combination of humidity and temperature .once it hits 95 there's really no way you're going to be able to cool yourself. Google it

mattvei said:
the key to pay attention to is wet-bulb temperature which is a combination of humidity and temperature .once it hits  95 there's really no way you're going to be able to cool yourself.  Google it
OK. Here is the link to article.
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/19/eaaw1838

Temperatures are given relative to 35C (95F).
Link to conversion.

https://www.calculateme.com/temperature/celsius-to-fahrenheit/35

Farther down is a cool map & I am located in one of the hot spots on the map, which is usually dry but does have a monsoon. Currently 23% humidity and 109 F with not much breeze. Not good weather for a hike.
-crofter

I've been living in my van for eight years, most of it in the dry parts of the US, with a little time on the Coast and in the Pacific Northwest. I've acclimated to life without air conditioning (or much heating). I did a few weeks of 100+ temps this summer. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't the worst thing I ever had to do. And it was much better than, oh, the 80°F with 80% humidity I used to suffer through in the South.

My keys for dealing with heat are shade, breeze, liquids and aridness.

I drove through the Mojave Desert when it was 112°F. To keep the engine from overheating I turned off the air conditioning and opened the windows. It was 106° in the van, but with the 65-75 MPH wind blowing at me it felt more like 95°. Not too bad.

MrNoodly said:
...My keys for dealing with heat are shade, breeze, liquids and aridness...
Is there an upper limit when you decide to leave for a cooler area? Most people leave the low desert by July 4 unless they have a plan to use air conditioning, and many leave earlier than that.

The map I was looking at (link above) has this area at 80F to 84F if there was humidity. So to factor in a lack of humidity would put you closer to the 95F degrees survivability. And you could expand that with a fan which could get you an additional 8 degrees of cooling (or the wind from the open window at 60mph). So that puts you at 103 degrees in an area of zero humidity.

In areas where it gets cold at night, like the northern plains, there is the possibility of cooling down at night and recovering from the daytime heat. Also in the north, water stays cold in underground piping and can be used for cooling if you get overheated.
-crofter

Here is an article on acclimating to heat, says it takes 3 weeks. The article does support the blood theory (more blood volume) and says benefits are a lower heart rate, lower core temperature, and reduced loss of electrolytes in the heat. Specifics are included.
-crofter

https://www.gssiweb.org/sports-scie...athletic-performance-in-warm-hot-environments

But the article does not specify how much drinking is enough. Any answers to how much fluid intake is enough?
-c

mattvei said:
the key to pay attention to is wet-bulb temperature which is a combination of humidity and temperature .once it hits  95 there's really no way you're going to be able to cool yourself.  Google it

Monthly average temperatures in Slab City and Death Valley exceed that in summer.  People have lived there for a long time.
There are places on earth that have been inhabited for centuries that exceed 150ºF heat index.
When young I worked in 90º, 70% conditions (105º heat index) in the sun for hours and I'm still here.

The human body adjusts.  I don't know what the upper boundary is but it is above 95º.

Agreed, that 95 degrees seems low as an upper limit.

When I was younger I also did hard physical work in the heat, but we only got over 103F for about 3 weeks.

So can't compare with months of 110F plus heat like we have in AZ. What I did this year is to time my activity for the cooler parts of the day, and plan to be shaded up & in the AC once it reaches 110F degrees.

Getting acclimated & maintaining it might have better results.
-crofter

I think your health also is the biggest factor in your heat tolerance.

I am healthy. I am a lover of 100 deg. heat point blank and high sun. I wither and die in cold weather LOL

So for me personally, my heat tolerance and personality just love high heat and I function best in it....of course the body can only stand so much so at some point 'smarts' come into play. Drink alot of water. Rest if feeling overheated and all that stuff comes into effect when needed. Don't push into that 'past the point' and longer term of heat stroke activity that can take you down. Alot of people go past into that zone and then crashed....don't go into 'that zone' if you can help it :)

plus get healthier as one can at all costs, your health dictates so much of what effects you from high heat to winter freeze.

For me aging and air conditioning seem to go hand in hand and the same way with cool temps and heating. Growing up in southern hot humid climates without air conditioning there were three to six weeks a year where getting a good nights rest was impossible for me every year. Moving to southern Arizona after several weeks of adjustment was wonderful and probably why I liked it so much. A few degrees makes a big difference and over the last 50 years temps have gotten more extreme slightly but enough to make a difference at least for me. Adapting seems to have gotten more difficult and takes longer if possible at all.

bullfrog said:
For me aging 
yea aging is a big factor for so many of us! LOL
I can handle like...95 now and when it hits 100 I am like, wow too hot HAHA
age is a factor along with our health factored into that for sure!

what a younger person or kid could do well....older ya get, worse health issues and more....yea WE FEEL it definitely :)  So agree on that

Thanks for all the heat exhaustion information, Crofter - this is a recurring problem for me since 2013. I had two especially bad episodes in that time; I'm usually careful about activities in the heat.

My episodes with heat exhaustion and my own approaching old age years were my main reasons for ordering an air conditioner for my van, though I know I can't use it with just solar, so maybe being stuck in heat would be a reason to stay in a RV campground for a few days. More likely I'd drive to where the extreme heat isn't a problem. I'd probably be most likely to use it while at my home base during spring and summer. Good to know it is there. In case it ever gets installed. Right now it is in the van along with everything else I've collected for the build that is not yet happening.

100 F dry is way better than Minneapolis/St Paul summers with 85F and 85% humidity, and that doesn't lessen after the sun goes down, unlike the desert.

I'm good above 95, but that wasn't the case my first summer in the desert. I didn't have air conditioning in my Tahoe trailer until later. It gets up to 110s around here.

I avoid exposure to direct sun, and I use an Endless Breeze to blow air directly at me.

Drink lots of water, add a little salt (unless salt is an issue) to water, I use 1/2 tsp to 1/2 liter of water, to replenish sweat loss (sodium is primary ingredient in a sports drink) to prevent cramps and heat/sun stroke.

I'm okay being somewhat active, I limit physical activity and my exposure to sun. Do outside activities early in the day or later on in the day. Relax in between.

My Tioga has insulation that keeps the heat out in the day and keeps warmth in at night. Average was about 4 degrees difference, I saw a difference of 8 degrees a couple of days. One was at a BLM site with no shade, no trees, off of Benton Crossing Rd. in the Mammoth Lakes area in mid July. I have a temp monitor inside and one outside that is shaded from direct sunlight.

After being outside, I shed the outer clothing that has been heated by the sun. Loose clothing that allows an air gap between your skin and the clothing is good. Think of flowing robes in the desert. I have some loose fitting coveralls that work for me.

good post Wayne

Yea if one thinks about SO many of the population truly live in intense heat climate year round...they make it and have for ages....key to it all is be friggin' smart......remember this: the ol' siesta? :) A siesta is a short nap taken in the early afternoon, often after the midday meal. Such a period of sleep is a common tradition in some countries, particularly those where the weather is warm----you break for the heat of the day.

I know we farm and in the South and we are up at 4am working til that heat intensifies around 11 or so and break til about 3 or so and then back out in it but 'slower and easier' than that morning issue.......nowadays our lives aren't dictated thru nature much anymore, but when you can lean into mother nature and do some 'smart ways of your living' in big heat, you can handle it better than if you try to buck it and go against it for sure.

TA--yup with wheels if ya can you follow the best livable weather one can, if one can for sure :)

I also go with the flowing robes idea but easier
for me, sleeveless is best for cooling the pits. I found some sportswear dresses from Columbia that are my go to on really hot days. Somehow the fabric keeps me much cooler even if layered under something.

Also used golf clothing found at goodwill is designed for cooling and comfort.

I installed an air conditioner in the cabin area of the van for sleeping, only used when I have hookups. The van cab gets frigid when I am driving, so always an option to turn the key and do some travelling. I get pretty good performance from the insulation I installed in the van: about 2 inches of foamular polyiso XPS.

Cooling foods: iced foods like crushed ice drinks are effective in humid heat. In dry heat you are better off drinking your electrolyte drink at room temp and using the sweat / wet skin evaporative cooling with a fan. I have a personal fan I use to cool down after my daily hike.

The issue with drinking ice is that the temperature sensors in your stomach will stop you sweating, so evaporative cooling stops and your core temp rises.

Also foods like cucumbers are cooling & filling think greek salad with cucumbers and tomatoes. Can use canned tomato but the cucumber needs to be fresh.
-crofter

Keeping yourself out of the sun is a good way of cooling: shade or light colored clothing.  Bedouins wear white outer robes for that reason.  The more you cover the better the effect.  I used to wear white cotton dress shirts when driving in the sun before a/c.  The sleeve would keep the sun off my left arm and the wind would travel up the sleeve and billow out the front of the shirt (arm out the window).

There is clothing that is SPF rated now (far better than cotton) but hasn't shown up in the thrift stores I frequent.
There are specialized towels (that store more water) that you drape across the back of your neck that help with evaporative cooling.

I found that water in the 50º to 70º temp range is better than ice water.  I've tried a number of 'sports drinks' and think salty snacks and bananas work as well.  We did use Gookinaid when rock climbing and hiking in hot climates.

In real hot weather keeping my body covered with white, loose, floppy clothes and soaking my hat (and hair) does keep me cool.  Adding a breeze really helps.

when very hot after a big hike in higher heat my best way forward is ICE on my wrists and ice on the front of my neck and jawline area.....if no ice, just cool water for sure. Just cool down the body and for me, mostly that is why I always camp near water, just put the ol' body into the drink and let the cooler water cool the core. But that is me, a water baby to the ultimate and my life truly centers around water, so high heat etc. you can bet your happy azz my butt is near a wonderful water source :)

Latest posts