Healthy snacks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
akrvbob said:
So whether while you are driving or just looking for something to get you by between meals, what's a healthy snack you reach for? 

On my last 3-day kayak trip I packed Red Flame seedless grapes, carrots, celery, apples, almonds, and honeydew mellon chunks (though admittedly that last one isn't really "finger-food").  :p  I also had some little bowls of mandarin orange segments that I could just pop open and gulp down, no spoon required, and some Cliff Bars.  

Hey, Hansen's is made with real cane sugar, so it counts as healthy!  :D

The honey was for the tea, which I almost always keep in a thermos-cup between the seats. 

ggwoman said:
Pork rinds are pretty guilt free - no carbs, decent protein, crunchy and are super fun to share with my dogs...

Not good for dogs: They have a lot of fat and are greasy. That causes pancreatitis or gastroenteritis in dogs.
One of my neighbors lost his big dog by feeding it fat, greasy food.

Writer Ms,   While some may question the health benefits of this snack,   I think it's a matter of how one uses it.  The Cheese and Pepperoni in moderation can be healthy foods and the garlic and red pepper both have excellent health properties as they are known for giving a boost in energy, improvement & stimulation of the immune system, and soothing aches and pains. (if in the case of Men, it's supposed to benefit the prostate)  The Canola oil It is low in saturated fat and high in unsaturated fats, including Omega-3 fatty acids.  Some salt is necessary in our diets and I'm sure that there is less sodium in this than a can of Soup or pack of Ramen Noodles which usually contains all the salt one needs for the day)

Yes, I've made the Oyster Cracker style also.   As a Munchable snack for the road, these could be more easily consumed at the wheel.   I would suggest, however, that these be placed in a paper cup do the driver's hands
won't become oily and make a mess on the steering wheel.   I haven't experienced a need to roast them in an
oven yet.  I may try that to see if it enhances some of them.  :D

As for the Crackers, they are more of a medium to carry the healthy stuff:

Saltines Basics

A 5-cracker serving of regular saltines contains 62 calories and about 1.3 grams of fat, almost none of which is saturated fat. This low, saturated fat content is a plus because a diet high in saturated fat can increase your risk of heart disease, obesity and Type 2 diabetes. Regular saltines are low in sugar, with less than 1 gram per serving, which is another plus. Saltine crackers aren't an impressive source of protein, with just 1 gram per serving, or fiber, with less than 1/2 gram per serving

Ranch Dressing Mix can be made too.

1/2 cup dry buttermilk powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley for blending, 1 teaspoon reserved
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed for blending, 1/2 teaspoon reserved
1 teaspoon onion powder[/url]
1 teaspoon dried minced onions
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar

You can grind 2 TB of dry portabella mushrooms to add to this too.

2 TB of this will be equal to a pack of Ranch Mix.  If you want Ranch Salad Dressing follow the directions on the package of Mix.

Store it in a sealed jar and it will  for 2 to 3 months at room temperature.

Ranch Dressing Mix is a building block ingredient for a number of snacks.

I like cheetos and potato chips with the occasional sip of water,salted cocktail peanuts. but the last 10 years planters has dialed down the salt and oil I wrote them an email to complain
but they did not respond.

Planters cares more about your health than you do Wagoneer...lol..just kidding.