ideas for healthy snacks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another easy snack for me is cup ramen. There are a couple brands with relatively short lists of ingredients. I can cook it up at a rest stop in less than 5 minutes.
To make it less salty just ditch the flavor pack.
I like to throw kale, frozen peas or broccoli in there to veggie it up.
My ex got me into those dehydrated veggie chips. Can't recall the name, but there is one brand that is low sodium and low fat, and another that is basically green and purple cheetos.
So you have to read the ingredients.
Bananas are great too. If you can keep them from getting bruised. Lots of vitamins in there.
Trail mix I cannot do. I will eat all of it and feel bloated and itchy.
I was a hippie kid so that and dehydrated pineapple are the equivalent of candy to me!

Gotta say, this van dances a lot above 65 so I don't eat much when traffic is busy.
Difficult enough trying to drink water.

Eggs are the perfect breakfast food. They keep you from feeling hungry for a very long time. Less hunger equals no need to snack which equals fewer calories. So the real key is not what to snack on but what foods keep you from wanting snacks. Think outside the box instead of thinking what to put into a box. You asked the wrong question instead of the right question which is how do I keep from snacking without feeling hungry.

Nuts or dried fruit.

Sometimes what really satisfies is a bottle of water.
-crofter

maki2 said:
Eggs are the perfect breakfast food. 
I have heard that hard cooked eggs cause inflammation, but if soft cooked is less of a problem.
-crofter

Some of us have to keep cholesterol down. So eggs/cheese based snacks are a no go.
But completely agree on a solid breakfast or lunch to eliminate the need for snacking.

However, I've found over the years that 99.9% of my snacking isn't hunger. It's boredom. And driving hours a day in a straight flat line hemmed in by corn and semis is 9th level of hell boredom!
I suggest a possible solution would be to pump some tunes on the radio that get you singing along.
For me that would be some 80's new wave or electro-pop. Some of us older metal dudes would find it impossible to make it through Iron Maiden or Dio without trying to hit those notes. (I can do most of them an octave lower).
Or you could play checkers or tic tac toe.
Dang, I'm the one that's supposed to be driving!