Headed West

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SisterSue

Reaction score
Hi all. Have left Atlanta and headed for New Mexico. Haven't posted anything here to speak of, but thought I would start documenting the trip west here, I hope nobody minds. Left Atlanta and didn't document anything the first few days so will start off with where I spent the night last night I was in a little town of Crawfordsville Arkansas, plan on doing about a hundred miles a day maybe a little more but not much. Say the night tonight in some dispersed camping outside Brinkley Arkansas, only 70 miles, but beautiful area.

Have you driven in mountains before? Make sure your brakes and other maintenance items are checked and are up to snuff.

Be careful and enjoy the trip.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the welcome, and no, around Atlanta we don't really have any true mountains. I keep my van in tip top shape, just had brakes put on it about 6 months ago. Being as I have lived in it for years I have always kept it well maintained. I keep a budget and a certain percentage of my income is put aside for maintenance so that when something needs fixing I have the money in the bank waiting for it. My late husband was a truck driver so I do know from him that if you are going down a mountain, shift down a gear and let your motor keep you slowed down instead of having to use your brakes a lot. When he was alive he taught me a lot of things although I have to admit I never went on the road with him except for local runs. He has been gone a long time now, but I still remember many things I learned from him. He owned his own truck and he is the one who taught me to budget. He would set aside 10% of every load for the truck. He said you had to pay the truck just like you paid yourself. Anyhow thanks again.

Sue

I spent 2/3 of last summer, my first yr of official nomad, in North Central New Mexico mountains.
Fell in love with it.

She's been a self-declared "vagabond" for 10 years, so probably doing fine. Not hardly an uninitiated newbie.