HD Tent Stakes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinallyFree

Reaction score
I remember reading sometime ago about a vendor in Quartzsite that sales homemade heavy duty tent stakes made from rebar. Anyone know which vendor it is?

It is K&B Hardware, which has a large kiosk not far from Q's big tent.

This "Earth Anchor" seems overkill, but maybe sometimes warranted?

John61CT said:
This "Earth Anchor" seems overkill,  but maybe sometimes warranted?

HOLY MOLY! I bet a couple of those would keep my awning from blowing away. The trailer might be gone though.  :p

As I've said before I use 12" carriage bolts with plastic washers to hold ball bungees but I also have the helix screws for sand at Lake Powell. I usually drive them in with a battery impact. I've never had one come out but did pierce a water line once so I had to move! That just ain't right! I'm planning on being at the RTR with a Kodiak tent if anybody wants to see one come on by.

Ballenxj said:
I bet a couple of those would keep my awning from blowing away. The trailer might be gone though.
So put one on the trailer.

Probably could make a good anti-theft deterrent based on that :cool:

Yeah, K&B (Kuehn Street, just west of US-95, south side of the street) sells stakes made from rebar. I have some. They also have monsterous nails. The RTR site is covered in "desert pavement" which is a layer of stones. (see link below) So stakes need to be strong enough to force their way between the rocks. You'll want a sledge hammer, too. One trick to make things a little easier is to drill into the ground with a long masonry bit a little narrower than the stake. It's not that you're going to drill through rocks, just force space between them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=des...vVsenXAhXD0J8KHSqMA_cQsAQISg&biw=1325&bih=745

Another place to look would be re-enactor suppliers - Civil War, SCA, etc. People in many of these groups camp in large canvas tents. Though impractical for a van dweller, the stakes often used to tie these down are much beefier than your average tent stake. Many are about the rebar size you're looking for. Source: I've been active in the SCA and have a canvas tent with stakes like this.