Hawaii Van Dwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evalani

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum, but have watched a bunch of YouTube videos over the past year and a half. There is a lot I still have to figure out. I let go of my Prius C ? and decided for a small cargo van, a pre-owned 2018 Ford Transit Connect. This was the best available option for the price and what it had to offer. I needed to go with a newer model, since I don’t have the knowledge for repairs. Since I am only 5 foot 1”, I don’t mind so much that the height is less on these newer models. I have two windows in the rear doors and one in the sliding door. 
First question: Anybody on the forum who lives in Maui??
2. I don’t have the tools and knowledge to put in a fan myself. I asked at the auto glass place. They were reluctant but would cut a hole and put the fan in for about $400. I still would have to figure out the electrical part. Any recommendations regarding where to go for something like this? It seems quite expensive. 
I have lots more questions, but don’t want to make it so long. Thank you all!
Evalani

Hi Evalani, welcome to the forum... I can't imagine vanlife in Hawaii since you can't drive very far in one direction, but why not, so long as there are plenty of boondocking places. I've never been to Hawaii. Are you planning to stay in the city or countryside, or at beaches?

Welcome Evalani to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I have to be in stealth mode since there is officially no free camping anywhere. I will have several places, probably different ones on the same day. Yea, not a lot of traveling here, but a good variety of scenery, ciy, upcountry or beach area. Good thing is, I don’t have to worry much about insulating or a heater. The fan is essential! Thanks for your reply.

Hey Evalani, my two cents here. You really need to get the fan put in by someone who knows what they're doing and can do the wiring for you. Try some auto body repair shops. They will know how to do it, or at least be able to refer you to someone who does. Look at ads in your local paper, search online for "auto body repair." Then visit them and show them what you need. Take your time and don't compromise. You just don't want some bozo cutting a hole in your roof who doesn't know where the wiring is, possibly messing things up and not even finishing the job.

The Dire Wolfess

Ah thanks, I hadn’t thought of auto body repair shops. This guy I talked to did have some experience but was recommending against the fan because of possible leaks down the road. Haha, no pun intended. He had put some in before, but no wiring, because that’s not what they normally do. They are an auto glass shop and they put my windows in. Living on an island resources are a bit limited. I know I will need a fan in our climate for sure. Thanks for your input, i’ll check out the auto body shop.