Hawaii Bound? split from -Am I being ungrateful and impatient, or is it time to move on?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hawaii Bound?
Well, Ive gotten tired of waiting for the perfect time to make change, Ive gotten tired questioning and dealing with the pros and cons, Ive gotten tired of the family rejection, Ive gotten tired of the mental health pills, Ive gotten tired of the waiting so much that its been ... years waiting! My only regret is not doing this change a looooooong time ago when I had plenty of money and all the energy, time, and even great health. So now that I'm going on 55, bad back, got sick as a dog last night (got Covid test at Kaiser and came negative), rejected an apartment, have very little money but a permanent stable income, and my van conversion (dont get excited, its an old 95 E250 and -117K miles). Now that I'm in bad health, little money, and getting old I'm now facing a dreadful waitin period of about 6-8 months to save so I can ship my van, my dog, and my personal items. Ive tired of trying to find life, love, a home, a church, and all that apartment living offers here in California that I am starting to feel if I dont leave soon to Hawaii I will be sitting next year at an old folks home on a big recliner and walker. NOW is the time to do it! DONT wait if your wanting change! Its embarrassing if I told you how many years Ive been talking about this. I will be now forced to sit in my van to save every penny I can to cover my entire shipping costs.

Speaking as a Hawaii native, you might want to stop and do some serious thought about an out of the blue move to Hawaii. Do you have a good moving fund? At least 25K? Do you realize how expensive it is there? Just a small 1 room apartment (in someplace like Kalihi - not good) will run $1000 bucks min. It's very difficult to stealth camp there due to the shortage of street parking. Literally every space will be taken or metered. The cost of everything is 30% higher. 57K a year is considered barely enough for a single person to pay just for the BASICS... Do you have that much coming in? Do you know anybody there? It's often hard for folks from the mainland to fit in due to the much different culture we have - it's very pan Asian. Not like any state on the mainland. Why Hawaii?

This is my daily read news site. You might want to check it out and see that Hawaii isn't the ridiculous tropical island parody that's put on for the tourists. It's a very tough place to live if you're poor with real problems in homelessness, drugs, and crime that's getting worse. NOT a good place to be on the streets... Especially as a malihini... (newcomer).

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/

Last edited:
Hawaii Bound?
Well, Ive gotten tired of waiting for the perfect time to make change, Ive gotten tired questioning and dealing with the pros and cons, Ive gotten tired of the family rejection, Ive gotten tired of the mental health pills, Ive gotten tired of the waiting so much that its been ... years waiting! My only regret is not doing this change a looooooong time ago when I had plenty of money and all the energy, time, and even great health. So now that I'm going on 55, bad back, got sick as a dog last night (got Covid test at Kaiser and came negative), rejected an apartment, have very little money but a permanent stable income, and my van conversion (dont get excited, its an old 95 E250 and -117K miles). Now that I'm in bad health, little money, and getting old I'm now facing a dreadful waitin period of about 6-8 months to save so I can ship my van, my dog, and my personal items. Ive tired of trying to find life, love, a home, a church, and all that apartment living offers here in California that I am starting to feel if I dont leave soon to Hawaii I will be sitting next year at an old folks home on a big recliner and walker. NOW is the time to do it! DONT wait if your wanting change! Its embarrassing if I told you how many years Ive been talking about this. I will be now forced to sit in my van to save every penny I can to cover my entire shipping costs.
I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but, as someone who lived in Hawaii for 30 years, and who‘s sons still live there I can assure you JDub is correct in his advice about moving to Hawaii. Even the locals who live there struggle to make ends meet. It is not the Hawaii I grew up in! Its a hard life, my boys are lucky in that their grandparents left them their house so they don’t have that worry. Heck, unless you are a die hard local that can dive, pick opihi, limu kohu, etc and know to to live off the land you will still be hungry on most days. So unless you are from there originally and already have a home and a huge nest egg I would think twice about moving over there, you will be in for a very expensive and rude awakening. Wishing you the best of luck in whatever choice you make, but please think long and hard about moving there.

Working here in California, we hired a guy that grew up in Hawaii. He and his wife were both police officers in Maui. Bottom line was that they couldn't afford to live there on their two incomes (they had a large family) and instead moved to inexpensive California. LOL As he put it, they could live in a shack but that is not what they wanted.

Don’t worry about the past, it’s here and now.

Boy I hope they're okay and finding some way to realize their dream.

Hawaii Bound?
I'm not sure what your idea is. Sorry. Are you going to stay on Hawaii? Have you considered putting the van in storage? Is there free public camp spots there? Cost of living is higher there. There's a lot of planning involved in this adventure? Maybe a change of scenery is called for?

Sounds like you need to get up out of your chair and go outside and have a very nice day looking at trees, grass, clouds, birds. Grab some pleasure out of the everyday, ordinary things. Turning 55 is not a one foot in the grave age. But depression sure can lead you into thinking it is.

I wonder if the OP will read further responses on this thread, since he has not commented on it or even been to the forum since March.

wonder if the OP will read further responses on this thread, since he has not commented on it or even been to the forum since March.
Wait, isn't this OP the same name as someone who showed up recently as an ostensibly new member (but with mysterious baggage), immediately pitched a couple hissy fits, and left again (or got invited to do so)?

I guess I could live without knowing the answer to that ... idle curiosity only.

Status
Not open for further replies.