Having a 5th wheel with day room moved

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventuregurl

Reaction score
I am considering getting a 35' 5th wheel that's currently stationary near Quartzsite and wondered if anyone knows what it costs to get something like this moved, say from Quartzsite in the winter, to Prescott AZ in the summer and if it would be worth doing this over and over again. I am not planning to get a truck, and am not ready to become a full on nomad yet but this might ease me into it.

It has been moved once before from Lake Havasu City. I assume it's done by the mile. Are there many who would do something like this? I do understand it will most likely need new tires to move it.

Hi AG!
When I got my trailer I had some issues with my truck so I just ended up paying to have it delivered. Approx 230 miles cost me $450. The tow was arranged through the dealership I bought it from, but was done by an independent contractor who's entire job is delivering RVs. I'm sure costs will vary based on mileage and demand.

Aside from the condition of the 5th wheel's tires, does the trailer you're looking at have any mechanical issues that would effect it's roadworthiness? I guess what I'm asking is - you said it's "currently stationary", does that mean it's just currently parked without a tow vehicle, or does that mean you'd need a specialty flatbed to haul it?

[emoji3577]
~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

is it worth it to pay to move over and over. that really depends on how much it's worth and how much it cost to move. you really don't want to exceed the value of the trailer by paying to move it over and over, that just doesn't make sense. at least to me. I am just guessing but I would think it's going to cost at least 500 bucks to move it one way, so that's 1k a year. how much is it worth? highdesertranger

You might look on craigslist for an RV mover and get some real quotes specific to the locations and type of RV. I had a friend who owned a 5th wheel for his living quarters but he only had it moved to different towns when he was changing to a job in a new city.  I think that moving cost was likely part of his employment contract situation.

In your situation it might be more cost effective just to rent a 5th wheel that is already on location in an mobile home/RV park. I do know that sometimes people leave their RVs in place in a park year around for seasonal visits and that sometimes they decide to stay put at their second home that year instead of going to the winter or summer place. Of course sometimes those owner head off to Europe or a long sea voyage and when away they rent it out to cover the expense of keeping it in the RV park.  This means you can try it out as a lifestyle without buying an RV.

Put out feelers in the nomad community and you MIGHT find someone willing to move it just for the cost of fuel. Maybe not, but it's worth a try.

I believe the going rate was around $2.00 a mile last time we checked. Tires, bearings,brakes and suspension are the big issues should they break or need repair on the road. We had our trailer delivered as part of the sale and haven't moved it since. If the price is right you can always sell it at the end of the season or move it once and sell it if the market is better in Prescott. We ended up having a home base in two locations as it was cheaper than moving using a motorhome and the trailer and leaving them parked. It costs about the same as moving but you do have a little maintenance when you store them. Many RV parks have reasonable rates for storage or only charge 6 months rent and allow you to leave the trailer on the spot as long as you don't stay in it for a very reduced rate. Many of my neighbors have large trucks that they use to move their fifth wheels and have in the past moved other peoples trailers basically for expenses so they could visit family or go shopping. If you ask around you may get a really good deal on moving from an individual.

Thanks [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]everyone for your replies they are much appreciated! I will probably just leave the rig in [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Quartzsite (if I get it) and pay for the year but use it in the winter but then I got to thinking about the possibilities so I asked![/font][/font][/size]

AMGS3, the rig is a '97 in immaculate shape, owned by one person but has only been moved twice, once when new to LHC and then one ore time to the Quartzsite area. Are there breaks on a 5th wheel, or other things that can be a problem? I didn't even know this! The initial move to where I want it to be is 18 miles but I guess breaks need to work for that!

Bullfrog, I am leaning to 2 locations!

Mr. Noodly, I bet that in [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Quartzsite there will be some people willing to do it for me.[/font]

By checking around the parks with older owners you will find some really reasonable buys. Many get to a point they can no longer travel or do maintenance and just want to finalize things.

My wife just picked up a really nice older camper for $1000 that needs some re-doing (It is going to be her back yard "she shed"). We pulled it home, and are repainting it, and installing new lino floors. It may be better to have another trailer in Prescott to keep the costs down.

That being said....you might ask around to folks who have a 5th wheel hitch setup if they could help you, and how much they would charge to move it (private RV camper/fellow camper).

highdesertranger said:
yes fifth wheels have brakes.  highdesertranger
Are they something that would go from just sitting around? Is there anything else that might be a problem?

Thanks so much!

Tires dry rot and develop cracks usually in the sidewall area especially if exposed to direct sunlight. Tires have a manufacture date stamped on them. Anything over 5 years old should be an area of concern if it is going to be going over the road at highway speeds, anything over 10 years old should be replaced before moving it. Notice I didn't say anything about how the tread looks like new because it can have like new tread depth and still be bad. It is much easier and safer to replace them before you start. Once you get to where you are going take care of them with tire treatment and keep them shaded. The bearings will need to be looked at and possibly regreased and the seals replaced as they are rubber also and blowing sand may have accumulated on them. The high desert heat can over time cause the grease to leave some areas of the axle and bearings exposed and cause problems. Brakes can have rusted up or frozen as well. Depending when the last service was done will give you an idea of what you will need to do. I usually check mine once a year or when I plan to move it, again it is easier and safer to do it in the park than on the road. Who ever tows the trailer should insure the trailer brakes are working properly electrically once they are hooked up. I would think this time of year there would be a mobile RV mechanic in Quartzsite that could come check it out for you. He might even tow it for you as part of the service since you are going less than 20 miles. I usually make the seller deliver it, set it up and show me all systems are working before I pay them and transfer the title but offer them their asking price if I think it is reasonable. I have paid as much as $500 to have this done but it was transported 200 miles.

bullfrog said:
Tires dry rot and develop cracks usually in the sidewall area especially if exposed to direct sunlight.

It's funny to me how you'll see RVs and TTs with tire covers but usually not on their tow vehicles or towds.

I have found the tire covers especially the black ones hold in heat and cause damage. I usually just build some plywood shades to cover them. I find treating the tires, daily flexing of my vehicle tires by driving and parking with the plywood shades facing south helps prevent a lot of the damage. My vehicle tires usually wear out or get side wall cuts long before they can get dry rot!

Bullfrog
What do you mean by "daily flexing"?
~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Tires flex as they go down the road and wear as well. Dry rot seems to happen when tires are exposed to direct sunlight and heat while sitting stationary. If driven daily they are usually last longer in my experience. Which brings up the point of blocking the trailer frame and removing the tires or at least getting the weight off of them and the suspension if you will be leaving it stationary.

I will head the tire advice - one good thing is that they have always been behind some good skirting and not sitting in the open. The guy who has it will be straight up with me for sure...he already mentioned that it might need tires to move it (and he moved it once and has maintained it since new for his mom so he knows stuff about RVs and towing)

MrNoodly said:
It's funny to me how you'll see RVs and TTs with tire covers but usually not on their tow vehicles or towds.

Tires have a chemical in them to slow drying out and cracking.  Frequent use keeps this chemical active in the tires.   Tires that sit exposed to UV dry out and crack quickly, and those exposed equally to UV but used often don't.

isn't that the chemical the Chinese got caught leaving out of tires to save a buck? highdesertranger

MrNoodly said:
That's because the tow vehicles or towds are driven, often daily.