hatch lift

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
Howdy people,

Was wondering if anyone has an input on installing "hatch lift" on their beds. My bed platform is super heavy imo. It is twin size  was originally 3/4 plywood but had an extra 1 inch panel added it to it for increased strength. I have no idea who much it all weighs in total.

I went to napa and picked up one "strut/shock" whatever they are called just to  test it out.. 46 bux!! and that doesnt even included the ball attachment part. I need to find a cheaper place.

The sales person said it was a 30 pounder..since I need 2..does that mean I have 60 pounds in lift or is it still ONLY 30..
I assume a lift that was rated for more weight than what I have would flop open. Is this a case of less being more?

I have looked on youtube for some videos. I didn't find them to be especially insightful. Nobody really talks about the selection process and it is just videos of people with drills making holes.

Any heads up would be much appreciated in regards to weight and length or a cheaper place to buy.

I do plan to sell/gift the rig in a couple years and can't imagine an older person trying to get into their storage.

Is there a different name I should be calling these?

Sofisintown said:
Look up gas springs at Home Depot.

All this Plywood probably weights upwards of 50 pounds, so try to get something strong, or keep your fingers away from the lid...

Rethink if you really need the extra 1 inch plywood. 3/4 would be enough with some support in the middle, maybe?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Automot...0rail%3Atop%20filters%3A2&selectionMethod=all
Thanks Sofi!

Those prices are much better than what I have found locally.  Unfortunately the extra plywood used to reinforce has been glued and screwed in place and it is a behemoth.

Is the capacity cumulative for each spring?

If I have too much lift the bed wont close and if not enough the bed will slam down?

I really appreciate my friend helping me build out but he has really over built everything. I am sure your estimate of 50ish pounds it about right and it isn't convenient at all. There is no doubt everything he built in the van will far outlive me.

Your 3/4'" ply weighs about #2 a square foot....x2 for another layer....Equals about 4 pounds per square foot.

Figure it out....Length x Width(in inches) divided by 144 (inches to foot ) x 4 (lbs/sqft) = ?Heavy?

Gas Struts/Lid supports.........Check online for prices

Ya its pretty heavy.. The opening I have is about 72 inch long and about 24 inch wide =1728/ 144=12x4 =48... then add the mattress...

60 pound struts sound about right?

Yes, 30 lbs each. The more you have, the more they will lift. There are other methods as well that don't where out, like a torsion spring system. Probably harder to install, but only once.