Has Anything Ever Happened...?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivGolden

Reaction score
After reading a post by another member about a startling dream he had, I remembered a couple of incidences which were startling for me while camping. I wonder if anyone else has had startling happenings while on the road.

The one that sticks out in my mind happened while I was hiking a short 2 mile trail that looped often giving several ways out but only one way in at the designated trailhead.

I camped nearby for over a week and each morning I'd hike over to the trail. The first morning I noticed a stick which was obviously used as a walking stick and had been propped up against a sign so I used it. After I completed my hike, I placed the stick back but in a different position so whoever might have left it, if they hiked there again, would know someone else had enjoyed it. I did this each morning. And each morning the stick was again placed against the sign.

About the 7th or 8th day, I hiked to the trailhead and regrettably the stick was gone. I went ahead and hiked the trail, which is really a nature preserve and terribly overgrown. I never saw another living soul on the trail, other than a deer which followed me on a couple of occasions. It was season and I thought she was leading me away from her fawn, possibly. She kept her distance and all was fine. 

For some reason, this morning, I got turned around. The trails were marked but I couldnt figure my way out that day. My golden was still a puppy and she was getting tired and I started getting a troubled feeling. No way I should have been lost but I was. I could not navigate at all.

I took an outlet which was unfamiliar and it seemed to go on for far too long. I was out of water and it was about to start a rain and my puppy started laying down, she was so tired.

I see a clearing with sunlight coming in ands I feel relieved so I start to follow the light. Just as I thought I was coming to the end I see man standing in front of us. He didnt speak. He was quite a bit older and not dressed for the outdoors. He was wearing clothes that looked decades old and I could smell mothballs. We just stared at each other. He was gray, he was so pale and I thought he must not be a hiker, maybe he was a local and was lost. 

Suddenly, the man smiled and reached out with his hand toward me. He was holding the walking stick.

I made my legs move and nudged my puppy and we walked slowly past the man. Not 5 feet away was a clearing. I don't know why but I picked up my puppy and I ran. I turned to look back and the man was still standing there, at the clearing, holding the walking stick out in my direction. And then, he was gone.

That was the last morning I hiked the trail. 

I was startled... :(

Difficult to respond to that one, Liv. Sounds like either an episode from Rod Serling, or else a hike into the vortex in Sedona. I thought you had promised to stop reading stuff like Kafka before bedtime.

QinReno said:
Difficult to respond to that one, Liv. Sounds like either an episode from Rod Serling, or else a hike into the vortex in Sedona. I thought you had promised to stop reading stuff like Kafka before bedtime.
:cool: Ummm, I did take a vortex tour while in Sedona. Or maybe that was an escalator.  :D

So, now you have to tell us: What it Real or was it a Dream? Too bad you didn't get his name, either way.

I do have to say, without getting into details, is that my impressions of "locals" out in the woods is not the best. I think a lot of them are like Caveman's tribe, stuck in place and jealous of Travelers.

It actually happened. My poor puppy was so frightened that she really couldn't walk from her legs trembling so bad. The man never spoke and neither did I. But there's more...

My first inclination was to head back to camp and tidy up and get out of there but I stayed - for one more night.

That night the folks next to me invited us over for supper. They had a beautiful RV with a full kitchen and they cooked a full delicious meal, including cc cookies. I explained what had happened that morning and the wife was very concerned. She, though, thought the man was an angel or spirit-guide leading me out. That was not the impression I had. Her husband just rolled his eyes at both of us. Neither scenario fit his idea. He believed I had imagined it. 

The wife and I walked to the shower together and along the way she told the story to some other women while we waited for our turn. One of the women said they had heard the story many times over the years but it didnt include the walking stick. That was a little discombobulating but I felt okay about it all and went off to my tent.

During the night my puppy sat upright and started trembling again. And I heard grunting. Very audible grunts. I was so sound asleep that at first I thought I was dreaming. I wasn't. It was a bear! Nothing one can do about that and so I just fell back to sleep, eventually...

The next morning I told my neighbors and asked if they'd heard the bear. No. They were safe and sound in their RV. Immediately, the husband said he thought I was dreaming. The wife stated that she absolutely believed me. Her husband asked her why. She told him it was because she left the cc cookies out on the picnic table to keep herself from eating them all night!

Although I had paid for two more nights, I packed up and left. 

I drove the entire day and finally found a great place to camp just before sundown. During the night I felt the earth move under me as if some thing was trying to come up from the ground. As soon as day broke, I packed up to move again. Intending to get a hotel room and recoup. As I lifted the footprint off the ground I saw what the problem was. In the dark I had pitched my tent over a gopher hole. 

Got a room, told the desk clerk my saga and before I left the lobby the clerk had upgraded my room to one with a hot tub. 

Ghosts; bears and gophers. I survived them all. 

Once in my room I turned on the jets in the hot tub. Not wanting to leave the comfort, I broke out my jetboil stove and attempted to heat up some chowder. The flame was too intense and it set off the fire alarm. I climbed up on a chair to rip the battery out before the fire department came. No longer hungry, I settled into the hot tub and fell asleep. 

Although I did not drown, it would have made the story more interesting. I guess I caught a break, after all.  :D

Anyway, that was my first visit to Wisconsin. BTW, I absolutely love Wisconsin! I'm going back - some day... :blush:

Awesome story Liv. I always believed that would happen to me and welcome it. But alas, I am always mistaken for the man with the walking stick except I smell like Lemon Verbena, and not so old.

I've been hiking in the mtns and forests my entire life, and never seen anything ominous or as described. I think the spirits know I am non-salvageable. Even the bears leave me alone. I'm sure my Aura must have some tell-tale color.

Qin, it is not your Aura. It is your perception of the environment around you and your state of mind/spirit. The most important aspect of Liv's great story is the ominous walking stick. The stick did not belong to Liv, I am sure she negotiated in her mind about the initial acquisition of the stick. Handling the walking stick and the temporary loss of her surroundings set off a chain of heightened awareness events. The old man smelling of mothballs could have gone another direction if she was in a different state of mind.

So you figure it was just a man and not a spirit. From the way her dog reacted, I'd have thought the opposite. OTOH, Liv has been sitting around campfires all of her life telling ghost stories too.

:DQinReno said:
So you figure it was just a man and not a spirit. From the way her dog reacted, I'd have thought the opposite. OTOH, Liv has been sitting around campfires all of her life telling ghost stories too.

LOL...Nothing I like better than a ghost story and a campfire. Q knows me!... :D

HalfShadows said:
Qin, it is not your Aura. It is your perception of the environment around you and your state of mind/spirit. The most important aspect of Liv's great story is the ominous walking stick. The stick did not belong to Liv, I am sure she negotiated in her mind about the initial acquisition of the stick. Handling the walking stick and the temporary loss of her surroundings set off a chain of heightened awareness events. The old man smelling of mothballs could have gone another direction if she was in a different state of mind.

Yes! The walking stick was a metaphor. The day before my husband died I took a wrong turn and we were lost traveling over a long bridge over water. The cypress were broken from the hurricane. They appeared as sticks coming out from the bayou. I apologized to my husband for being lost. He told me that sometimes one has to get lost to be found.  :heart:

And the stick- it really happened, just as I told it. Each day, the stick was propped against the sign and I took it. That was real. I can't explain...

Last night I watched one of my favorite DVDs, The Way, with Martin Sheen. About 4 people walking the Camino de Santiago for 4 very different reasons. Everyone has their own personal demons.

Not everyone dresses up in High dollar adventure clothing to walk a trail. He may have been wearing some wool clothing that he had in storage for a while. Not everyone is chatty with strangers. If the trail was overgrown that means that not many use the trail. If the old guy goes there every day, he probably figures why carry the stick home.
I think your imagination made a lot out of a little.

Illogical, as Spock would say. If it was a good walking stick at all, the Grey Man would hide it every day after his walk, else someone would shirley take it. He was obviously a demon looking for a pure soul.

I'm not saying this was the guy. I'm just saying add a wool Weskit and.... :s