Harness/Seatbelt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivGolden

Reaction score
Does anyone harness or seatbelt in their dog when traveling?

We are going back out on the road, later this week.

When she was a puppy I just let her roam around while I drove. That was last year when she was a puppy. This year, she weighs 80 pounds. I worry that she might get injured if I have to slam on the brakes or if something else occurs. 

I bought a slip cover, today, which separates ages the front from the back but she figured it out in a minute.

How do yo travel safely in your car with your dog?

I have a harness tied into the seat belt for Simon for two reasons:
  1. As you have stated, to keep him from hitting the dash or windshield in a panic stop or crash.  It's always a tradeoff over freedom vs. safety
  2. To keep him from jumping on me when I am driving.  He's only 30 lbs but he could cause me to loose control if he saw cows out the drivers side window.

I think you're right. Yesterday, I slammed on the brakes, lightly and she hit the dash. She is 80 lbs., though. I guess I better start looking for the right type of harness. Thanks.

I don't know anything about dog harness/seatbelt. The one thing that comes to my mind is the dog getting tangled/strangled. I keep my 2 dogs in a pet pen on the floor. It's canvas with 2 soft doors, as well as a zipped top so prevent them from jumping out. If I have to slam on my brakes to the point where my bedding comes flying forward, the pet pen with dogs probably will too. I'll probably get burned by the deployed airbag. Nothing is 100 percent sure, but at least my dogs can't roam around the rig and disturb my concentration while I'm driving. That's the #1 reason I got the pen.

Well, there's another consideration. My Golden is, for the most part, calm while in the car but she sometimes does get excited. And the fact that she's never been harnessed or seatbelted - I don't know how that might go. Still thinking...