Happy St. Patrick's Day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDub

Reaction score
Happy St. Paddy's Day to all you NOMADS out there!

Attachments

• il_794xN.980652400_4lrm.jpg
    il_794xN.980652400_4lrm.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3
I've never understood why this is such a big thing in the US. Kind of like if Ireland celebrated the 4th of July. Doesn't bother me, I just don't get it. Any excuse to have a beer or two can't be all bad though!

Guy

Just like all the other holidays hyped with commercialization on steroids.

I'll drink one to my Irish sailor great-grandfather though. Just not a green one!

I agree on the over commercialization, Honolulu of all places has a massive celebration centered around Murphy's Pub, but to me it's also my great grandmother's birthday 146 years ago. She was a hell of a woman who overcame a lot as a single mum in an age where that wasn't well accepted. Her story could easily be a Hollywood script, so IT IS a good day to have that beer for me! This is one of her "birthday cards" from the early 1900's. Racy too, look at that ANKLE!  :D 

Cheers!

Attachments

• sp 1.jpg
    sp 1.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Sp 2.jpg
    Sp 2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 9
Mah … I don’t read much into it. We need more days to be happy and connect. We’re all smart enough to understand the commercial side of it, doesn’t mean you through out the shamrock with the beer!
Oh wait.. we don’t throw out beer either!

Attachments

• 9FDC5736-16BC-4A0A-901A-5B64E7A2CDE7.jpeg
    9FDC5736-16BC-4A0A-901A-5B64E7A2CDE7.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 4
I agree on the over commercialization, Honolulu of all places has a massive celebration centered around Murphy's Pub, but to me it's also my great grandmother's birthday 146 years ago. She was a hell of a woman who overcame a lot as a single mum in an age where that wasn't well accepted. Her story could easily be a Hollywood script, so IT IS a good day to have that beer for me! This is one of her "birthday cards" from the early 1900's. Racy too, look at that ANKLE! :D

Cheers!
I am in love with this card… the writing and all of it! Irish women ARE characters! That’s for sure. I’m glad you are interest your family history and learned about her, and have those stories!

Back in 1980, a much younger me arrived in a village near Waterford in southern Ireland on March 16th. I'd hitchhiked in, and I slept in an abandoned peat workers' hut near some bogs. Of course a foggy night, spooky as all shit.
I hiked the mile into town to find the pub. I was a 19 y/o, and a long way from home...

I asked, "What do people do on St Pat's Day?" An old man told me that, "We go to Mass, of course."
So the next morning I went to Mass, just to see. After Mass, the women all headed home to make boiled dinner. The men went straight to the pub.
Naively, I asked if this was what they did every St Pat's day.
A (different) old man said, "What's St Pat's Day got to do with it?"

So, yeah, in the US, St. Pat's Day is kind of like Columbus Day is for Italian-Americans. A day to celebrate heritage, and spread good cheer. Unless you're in college... then its another excuse for a three day jag ; )

Latest posts