Handyman hang ups

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim Beret

Reaction score
Hello fellow vanners! I made first step and bought a cargo van, however I work graveyard shift and end up sleeping all day! So I  thought I'd look into hiring a handyman to build floor /walls and a bed. I talked to him and he called me wierd and hung up! I begin to see why people always do their own build! I'm off to look at some lighting options to build at night, I could use some encouragement please that guy made me feel bad, I'm a big marshmallow and I  guess I'm wierd :)

He's the weird one turning work down!

Plenty more where he came from, worst case post a CL ad yourself.

Thanks that helps! I thought that as well. I've never posted on CL,I looked at it and not sure how. I pick stuff up fast, but I need a teacher. Plenty more,eh? Ha

yeah don't let one jerk get you down. what area are you in? may be if you post up your area, someone here might know someone. highdesertranger

I've had the same problems. I've been told if I don't use 2X4 framing, then I'm wrong. I've been told by a journeyman plumber that I can't use PVC pipe as an exhaust pipe on a high efficiency furnace despite PVC being written into Code that it is the very product that is recommended. He refused to sell me pipe. I've been told I haven't wired my battery bank correctly, but it is. With some people when I was giving some of my stuff away, I was told that I shouldn't get rid of that and that I needed it, but I did get rid of it and still don't need it. Life is full of people like that- they are quick to tell you what you can't do.

I won't get into the story, but I keep a bar from a chainsaw as a reminder that no matter how wrong the most educated, experienced people tell me I am, I am sometimes still right. If it doesn't work out, well, then that is on me. If it works out, then that is on me. Turns out I've had more successes than failures going that route. As long as I don't hurt anyone but myself in the process, I usually go for it.

You are going to get some weird looks when you share your desires to live in a smaller than average home. I've learned to keep it to myself for the most part. Easier to keep acquaintances that way.

I had spoken with a guy that makes small sheds. He was willing and happy to make anything I wanted. Completely non judgemental. Is that by chance a common attitude with people who build custom small sheds?

Thank you highdesertstranger, I'm in kansas city,Mo. My lease on house expires end of April, another reason I was considering hiring someone! I work long hours as well about 60 hrs a week, not alot of time to do stuff.

Thank you Canine I agree with all you said and sounds like you have an awesome setup! I've told my employer though they will let me stay in parking lot.

Post an ad upfront describing you want the interior of a cargo van built out as a camper. To some people this is still weird, but it is becoming more common, and by saying it upfront you eliminate the people who do think it's weird.

Thanks TMG51 for the reminder! When I was doing my trailer, I stopped telling people I was going to live in it full time. Instead I told them when I go hunting, I wanted something a little warmer so I could extend my camping/hunting season a few weeks longer. Since I'm not as young as I "used to could" and have a little more money, I wanted to make a cargo trailer that was warmer and, therefore, more comfy than your typical pull trailer. I went on to say I don't care about the niceties of plumbing and fancy wood and cabinets because I'm not a princess. I just want a little more comfort in warmth and will "rough-it" with the rest. The story worked well.

I found that if you are making a trailer for camping or hunting, people are totally OK with that. If I were to tell them I was living small to have less of an impact on the environment, they would have kicked me in the groin and called me a sissy. There's nothing wrong with not being wasteful and such, but don't tell people that. Being "manly" about it helped.

what kinda cargo van? cargo vans rule!

if no van conversion companies near you, you could ask an automotive stereo shop for help or a reference. these folks make pretty elaborate cabinetry for sound systems that are by far more complicated that any home cabinetry.

actually, speaking from experience in this industry, you probably couldnt find a better woodwork craftsman for these purposes.

a handyman is often bottom of the barrel when it comes to skills and often the best BSrs and ripoff artists around. one size never fits all though but if you must find one of these types, look for the oldest IMO.

we need to come up with some kind of lego type kit for folks who dont have time to learn how to DIY this stuff.

I have some ideas..

I have a Chevy low top, it was cheapest with lowest mileage I could find! I plan on upgrading later. I'll check out the radio shops. The hunting story won't work for me being a lone female, I may end up trying it myself and keeping it simple for now, thanks all! Love talking with like minded folks♡

safarivan said:
if no van conversion companies near you, you could ask an automotive stereo shop for help or a reference. these folks make pretty

Wow! Lots of details on your build, great van! Thanks, I'll try radio shop and scrap handy man idea.

Grim,

Here's my own story.  I was watching the YouTube documentary, "Without Bound," which features Bob and a few other vandwellers sharing their stories.  My wife was watching with me.  ( I should say at this point that we had already started discussing retirement in an RV, but were in the early stages.)  My wife said something about "they're crazy," to which I replied, "Hon, these are the first people in many many years that have made SENSE to me!"   It was at this moment that I realized how far apart my wife's plans were from my own.

That was about 6 months ago.  Well, now I'm working on my cargo trailer conversion project, and my wife is helping make decisions on the planning details.  We have both compromised a bit and are a little closer in our goals.  We have several years to go before retirement, so I expect in that time we will come closer still, one way or another.  But in the meantime we still have to explain this CT build to family, friends, coworkers, etc.  Some get it, some don't.  Just like I've always owned a home and couldn't see renting an apartment, others will never see why someone would want to live in a vehicle.  It takes all kinds to make the world go round.  And that's why forums like this, and the RTR and other gatherings, exist, so that like-minded people can find each other.

And, when the economy collapses (or the zombies rise), we will all be proven right in the end  LOL.

> we need to come up with some kind of lego type kit for folks who dont have time to learn how to DIY this stuff.

They exist but are crazy expensive. Not a big market to base a business on.

I would never let a stereo shop touch my vehicle. particle board speaker cabinets, bird nest wiring, and cheap components. there stuff looks great from the outside but under the skin it's ugly. I am sure there are a few good ones but for the most part they have smelled to much contact cement. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

I have not sold, gifted or trashed anything that I did not need again with-in a decade. Sometimes much sooner. :)

Grim Beret said:
I have a Chevy low top, it was cheapest with lowest mileage I could find! I plan on upgrading later. I'll check out the radio shops. The hunting story won't work for me being a lone female, I may end up trying it myself and keeping it simple for now, thanks all! Love talking with like minded folks♡

I just tell them I am using the van for camping ... which I am!   :D

highdesertranger said:
I would never let a stereo shop touch my vehicle.

yeah, Ive had to repair and in most cases redo many of their electrical work, even had to replace a fuel tank when I found an amplifier was mounted directly onto it!

but the shops that have been an bz for more than a couple of years generally are good ones because this bz can really screw stuff up quick and you can only get away with it a few times before the lawsuits get served up.

the automotive stereo cabinet makers have skills and tools for the curvatures and stuff that are mostly beyond the average woodworkers skill level and creativity though.

best to get to know who youre dealing with in all cases prior to giving them the keys to the kingdom for sure.

highdesertranger said:
I would never let a stereo shop touch my vehicle. particle board speaker cabinets,  bird nest wiring,  and cheap components.  there stuff looks great from the outside but under the skin it's ugly.  I am sure there are a few good ones but for the most part they have smelled to much contact cement.  my 2 cents.  highdesertranger

Hey man, solvent brain damage is a high superseded only by meth and auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Big Rock, yep I've seen without bound as well, very interesting! I'm actually at the moment just planning on camping for a year to take a break from work! A coworker told me he knows a guy who hitchhikes across the country, and I said THAT was crazy!! So yes you are right, it takes all kinds!

Latest posts