hammock/bed size/air mattress

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janncwebb

Reaction score
I originally wanted to put a mostly full size bed crosswise at the back of the van. Though it is just me and one small dog that will be living in the van, I anticipate the grandchildren going camping with me sometimes. But, the more I consider layouts, the more I think I want a smaller bed on the side with a shelving or countertop unit across from it with a "galley" or walkway between. I saw a video with a hammock hung crosswise across the back of the van. What would support the full weight of a person (or teen) if you did this? I saw another with a hammock suspended above the driver/passenger seats. I'm just wondering what you'd have to bolt those  into to make them strong enough. Another option would be an air mattress... 

Thoughts?

Search for "hammocks" on this forum.
I have done a hammock several ways.
Straps over the roof (they leak in the rain) then back into the van.
Bolted a tie down bracket into the roof frame. The gutter area and the B-pillar or very strong. Presently doing this. 3 years. no issues.
The rope can be knotted and then trapped in the top of the door as you close it.

An outside tent might be happier for all. Having a tent available as part of your emergency kit is also a good thing - if your vehicle gets stuck in a shop you still have shelter. Plus, you could even backpack or use it to hold a spot.