Haircuts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After being on the road dispersed, and not finding any barbers along the way. I bought clippers, knowing that cutting my own hair was likely to be a failure. Ended up buzz cutting with no attachment. Did that a couple of times, then I used my electric shaver and took it real close. No hairs to get dusty. Showers are shorter. No shampoo required.

Haircuts on the road are sketchy. Pros know how to cut hair so it looks good while you're in the chair, then a couple of days later it will look like crap. But you are miles away by then. They do that to their regular customers as well, except it takes a couple of weeks to degrade.

I'm probably overly concerned with hair style for a guy. I remember as a kid how cool the Beatles and their hair was. At the time my dad used the clippers to give me a crewcut. I remember how disappointing that was and still cringe when I hear the sound of the electric clippers. Buzzzzz... When I got out on my own I grew my hair out and working from home as an illustrator, that was fine. Got experimental during punk rock and wore my hair medium length most of my career. I currently grew my hair out very long during this pandemic. But as I get closer to going out on the road for an extended period, and living on a more modest fixed income soon, I'm finding long hair to be a bit of a pain to take care of and have been thinking about learning to somehow cut my own hair in some presentable fashion. Thinking the dreaded clippers may be the way to go. Fortunately I own a couple of hats I like to wear.

Years ago I met Robby Krieger, the guitarist for the Doors. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My brother in law was working for him at the time.  [/font]A rather wealthy man from all of the songwriting royalties. (he wrote "Light my Fire" among other hits) He could well afford to go to the fanciest salon in Beverly Hills. Instead he had my brother in law help him cut his hair using a Flobee. If its good enough for a rock star...

I cut my own hair, during the lockdowns it was hard to find a barber shop so I bought rechargeable clippers and started cutting my own. I use take the guard off and do a burr cut. The hardest part is cutting the back, I dont like leaving a strip of long hair in the back.

I have cut my own hair for over 30 years.
I use a Wall clipper with combs: 1/8, 3/8, 1/2 inch:
 - 1/8" to cut eyebrows and sideburns,
 - 3/8" to cut sides and back,
 - 1/2" to cut top.

I just keep going over and over the sides and back until a mirror check looks even.
If unsure or don't have a 2 mirrors, just use one length comb and keep going over and over until you feel its good.

The difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is about 2 weeks.
A hat covers a lot of screw-ups.

I cut my hair with a Wahl clipper set with the clip on guides. If I happen to mess up, it grows back real fast.

I've been cutting my own hair for years.  I found a kit that had a VHS tape with it. (that tell you how long ?)  It had various safety guards with it too.   But I found a small battery powered moustache trimmer and use that around my ears, sideburns, & eyebrows.

As a kid I was quite vain about my hair cuts & barbers.  It seems people can be finicky eaters just the same as with their hair grooming.  But,  with hair cuts going from $12 and up and me going a couple of weeks between cuts I figure I'm saving $300+ doing my own a year.  So I use a #2 guard on the sides & back and #3 on top. 

Youtube has many sites on this subject where you could learn to cut hair.  This is just one of them:

Hair Cutting for Beginners

I haven't had a barber shop haircut since 1972. How much have I saved?

When I start tucking my hair in with my shirt I know it's time for a trim.

Back when I had more of it I would chop it a foot at a time to donate for kids on Chemo.

Guy

Lots of folks looked pretty shaggy or were sporting the dreaded “COVID Cut” with everything locked down last year!

I decided to learn to cut my own hair start to finish and after watching several good how to videos on YouTube I jumped in the deep end!

The goal was to look about the same as when hitting the barber regularly. I did end up buying nicer combs for my clippers and a mirror I could hang up, but generally had most everything I needed!

I continue to tweak it a bit here and there, but have never cut it as poorly as a couple cuts I paid for over the years!

Now almost 2 years later I find it quicker and easier than driving to the barber and waiting for a chair!

Every 2 or 3 time I might have the wife check the edges to make sure I’m not missing anything important, but there are work arounds for that too if you need that!

Yeah I’m saving money, but it’s quick & convenient and I’m sold on it!

SD

Male pattern baldness has solved most of my hair cutting problems. Then I just buzz the rest. I ain't pretty, but I'm functional.

wayne49 said:
...Ended up buzz cutting with no attachment. Did that a couple of times, then I used my electric shaver and took it real close....
I will never recognize you now. And let mine go long so you won't recognize me either.
-crofter