Hail yes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
Today I received some first-hand knowledge about how durable PV solar panels are.  Last night we had a fierce hailstorm that lasted about 30 minutes with hailstones that were about 3/4" in diameter. In the small house I'm renting there is a skylight located almost directly above where my recliner sits. The sound of the hail on the skylight was deafening and I thought for sure it would shatter but it held. I also worried about the panels on my van.

This morning I checked them and found there was no damage at all. I know there can be much larger hail that comes down but this experience eases my mind about the potential for damage from falling objects.

The last big hail storm we had in Denver before I left broke windows, dented cars, tore holes in vinyl siding and PVC fencing. It also took out the vent lids on my trailer and dinged up two sides getting it totaled. I'm talking larger than golf ball sized hail. Driving around afterwards looking at the damage we noticed that not one of the panels installed on the houses had been damaged.

A few years back a panel supplier had a bad batch of panels go out. They would replace yours if you called them without expecting the originals back. What they did require was proof that the originals had been shattered making them useless. I watched a woman in camp smack a panel six times with a standard claw hammer before she finally got it to shatter.

I am often asked about making covers for panels to protect them in a hail storm. My answer is always Please do not try to protect your panels because any hail that will damage them could kill you.

We had a hailstorm last spring at our home base, dented the metal storage building but the solar panels on hubby’s Pro-master were fine. Lucky for us the Travel Trailer, my minivan and his diesel truck were parked under a metal car garage. The hail was estimated at ping pong ball size and a few a bit bigger.

At our sons house it ruined 2 vehicles and the skyline window in the master bathroom.

i seen on amazon a car umbrella that is made for such situations it is a solo mount but will surely cover the panels. perhaps looking up one will be a good choice.

Replacing solar panels (if they DID break) would be cheap and easy compared to the windshield and other glass on your vehicle. 

In fact, I think of the panels up there on the roof as protecting that expensive roof sheet metal from dings!

They are covered in tough tempered glass.

Latest posts