Gulf Coast Campground or RV Park

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith58

Reaction score
I'm interested in finding a campground or RV Park, on or near the Gulf Coast, that will accept a van RV for a possible 6 month stay. Anyone have any experiences or information? I would be looking to pay up to $300/month.

Thanks,
Don

On Craigslist you can access different places and sometimes find a spot.
We see ads in local shopper papers too.

I think there's a couple people from down that way. Maybe they will show up.

Try Shady Oaks Mobile Home & RV Park in Corpus Christi, TX. You would need to be completely self contained. You would have to provide your own cable/internet thru the local cable company (ran us about $100). It was on Flour Bluff within walking distance of the public library. We liked it but we have low expectations.

I'm interested in this also, might be heading that way myself for a spell.

Wondering how far down the coast does it take to find a mild winter?

AltTransBikes said:
Wondering how far down the coast does it take to find a mild winter?

AltTransBikes... most of Texas winter is mild...I am in the extreme Northeast corner near Texarkana... Today the weather is 66 degrees here.... in Houston it is 78. Last week it was 85 here.... The coldest night I have had so far is 30 degrees...The only heat I have used so far has been to take a bath. Our coldest months are usually January and February and even then it rarely gets below freezing. It's been a few years since I've seen ice or snow.....although we may be due for some.

One of the problems with Texas though is that there is so little public land. You can camp on the national seashore in places down around Padre Island, for the 14 day limit and there are three national parks that I know of, the Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains and Big Thicket National Parks.. Other than that it is campgrounds of some type.

Depends on your definition of "a mild winter". We are from the Southern Appalachians. The area of TN and NC encompassing The Great Smoky Mtns Park, Cherokee National Forest, Nantahala National Forest. We were in CC Nov 2009 - May 2010. Wind off the gulf is wicked on the island. But it was very light at the park we stayed at. There were some frosty late Jan - Feb mornings. Winter was similar to Southwest GA and North FL. We had no desire to head further South. Rio Grande Valley area is pricey and you need reservations. Same as Rockport-Fulton, Aransas area... popular with the "snowbirds". CC is not so much. Don't know why.

ice_maiden: Thanks for the info. I have a nephew in Dallas and spent time there one January... got a little snow that year and a good deal of cold. Was in a Scamp TT at a RV park, electric heater running any time I was home.

compassrose: Thanks, I'm in central New England so almost any place for me has a better and milder winter, lol. I'd say my definition of "mild" would be not much freezing overnights and mild enough to work outside most days. I am actually contemplating heading south to do the build out on a van....sure will be tough to do it here.

Anywhere from South Carolina down would probably be mild enough.
In SC we get a few nights below freezing and it is almost always
above 32 during the day. Most days are in the 50's but some in the
40's. It's frequently in the 60's and sometimes in the 70's.

Like anywhere there's the occasional cold snap but it's rare.

And then there was the year hubby left home (30 miles north of NC/GA state line) and pushed snow all the way to work in Clemson, SC. That was rare. We did get freezing winter nights in the "Golden Corner" often though. If you stay (roughly) well south of I 40 the winters are fairly mild (except for higher altitudes).

I am so jealous of this conversation, I just went outside and my thermometer read -22.

...........but my mind just kept wandering like them wild geese in the wind.......