Greetings! New here; Would love your opinion on this van.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurtherStill

Reaction score
Hello vandwellers!  I've been lurking in these forums for a while soaking up the wealth of information that you guys share, but I just joined.  My name's Dave and I'm currently living in Phoenix while I look for and convert a new home on wheels.  I've been looking for a Chevy Astro van for a conversion, and I came across this one on Craigslist:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/5901127494.html

What do you guys and gals think of this?  The price is great, and I like that it's only had 1 owner, but I'm a little apprehensive because of the rebuilt transmission.  I sent him an email to see if he has any of the paperwork for the work that's been done, but I haven't heard back yet.  I'm hoping to take a look at it soon, but I really don't know what to look for mechanically.  Any advice on that?

As long as the transmission was a professionally done rebuilt as opposed to some guy in his backyard, it's all good.

I'd worry about an Astro/Safari with 179,000 miles on it that DOESN'T have a rebuilt transmission. It's a known weak spot on an otherwise really good van.

If you're not familiar with what to look for mechanically on a used vehicle, then, seriously, either take a friend/relative along whom you trust in this regard and/or make sure that you have a licensed mechanic inspect it as part of the buying process. Learn from them as they inspect it if at all possible.

Learning what to look for is something that would require a book be written. Actually, there's probably books out there on the subject... :) Some will come along and give you suggestions but even with many contributing, there are things that will be missed, and important things too.

If the body and frame are clean and rust free, it's probably worth $2800, if you look at it as a long term investment.  That said, you need to have a big enough fund to fix all the mechanical things likely to fail at 179,000 + miles - brakes, suspension, etc.  Might even need a replacement engine in the not too distant future.  It's a rare engine that goes more than 200,000 miles.

FurtherStill! Welcome to the CRVL forums! The van looks good for the price. If you're not a mechanic or gearhead have a mechanic do a complete evaluation

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks so much for the opinions and the words of advice, it's all much appreciated! We'll see if I get a reply from the seller on my inquiry, but in the meantime the search continues.