Greetings and Salutations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravensoracle

Reaction score
Found the site a several month's ago and read through all of it but at the time didn't realize there was a forum. Came back to see what was updated and found it. Can't wait to see what all I can learn from everyone here.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>My name is Chris. I'm from SE Kansas. Currently I am in a stix-n-brix until the kids are grown and out of the house. Just a few years from now so I want to be ready to hit the ground running when it's time.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>As a kid some of the best memories I have is traveling all over the Lower 48 and even some into Canada and Mexico with my parents, 1 sister and 1 brother. We drove every summer for several weeks basically just picking a cardinal direction and finding stuff to do along the way. Our summer home for that time was our daily family driver. A full size conversion van with a wheelchair lift for my mom who had a history of strokes. We never stayed at an&nbsp;RV&nbsp;park. Sometimes we'd stay at a State or National Park to have access to the facilities and to set up a tent so we could spread out. The rest of the time we'd Stealth camp in the cities, park in Truck stops, or Boondock.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Now I have a 1977 International Harvester School Bus with a Carpenter body that was converted by a previous owner. He gutted an broken down camper and put the parts into the bus. I plan to do many updates but the structure is great and will be easy to get up to a more modern feel.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/RavensOracle/Skoolie/" target="_blank">Photobucket Album</a>&nbsp;&lt;&lt;--Link to pics of the bus.</div><div><br></div><div>The plan is to start having my own summer trips while the kids are outta school to show them the amazing things I saw as a kid. Once the kids are on their own then the DW and I will buy a piece of land with a shed for a home base and travel the country, giving into the wanderlust we both have.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I think I am going to really enjoy this site. I don't get the vibe here that I find with other RV lifestyle sites that are full of big money coaches and have attitudes that unless you have the same you are a second class member.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Again Greetings</div><div>Chris</div>

Welcome to the group. There are some great people here, and I understand your dissatisfaction with the Standard RV forums.

Looks like a comfortable setup in the camper.

Like that bus Chris&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What kind of gas mileage do you get ?&nbsp;&nbsp; Welcome..&nbsp;&nbsp; Ken<br>

Hey chris, welcome. I too, traveled ( the east coast) as a child with my parents. Since I have been old enough, I have continued to travel at every opportunity, doing some very cool things....
I understand wanderlust too, our youngest is 15, so still a few years before the chance to full time. Glad to have you here, and another bus owner is always a plus!
Les

Hello from the Bluegrass state, &nbsp;truck camper guy here!<div><br></div><div>my blog, &nbsp; www.apocketfullofwanderlust.blogspot.com&nbsp;</div>

<div>Thank you all for the great welcome.</div><div><br></div><div>I was getting about 12mpg but it had a 2 barrel motocraft carb on it that was undersized. I am getting the 4 barrel Holley that was originally on it rebuilt so I may lose some gas mileage but I should gain some much needed power. The mechanic has told me he doubts it will be a big difference in mpg because of the quality and proper fit of the "new" carb.</div><div><br></div><div>The gearing is setup so I am limited to about 55-60mph but I know it can pull like nothings behind it. I towed my brothers 2-ton dump truck with a load of gravel &nbsp;out of the hole he dug himself &nbsp;into trying to lay a new driveway for a customer of his contracting business. I&nbsp;also&nbsp;pulled it home on&nbsp;back-roads&nbsp;when the ground&nbsp;cable shorted on the&nbsp;dump-truck.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div>The bus is about 30' long. When people ask the size I call it a Medium bus. It's not a shorty but is is about the shortest you can get as a full size. I've parked it in Walmart parking lots taking both spots in length with a little left over. I've also fit it on some older private roads that require the clearance of a truck to navigate. I like that because I know that I can get to a lot of places most&nbsp;equivalent sized campers can't get to. We were considering a truck camper as a boondocking vehicle but I wanted to extra size the bus provided since I have the three girls.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Welcome, Chris! I love old buses! Lookibg forward to seeing your mods, etc.!<br>

I just bought a new truck, a 2011 Supercrew Ford F-150 XL that was the test drive model for the fleet dealership. I think I got the best of both worlds in the deal. They gave me a big rebate because it was already "driven off the lot." But I still get all the warranty and maintanace plans available. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the fancier models but I see that as a good thing. Less to break down in the long run.<div><br></div><div>That comes in really handy when changing out 4 of the 8 spark plugs &amp; wires on my old 97 F-150 leaves me stuck in a bed for 2 days barely able to sit up by myself. My wife and oldest daughter (a 14 year old that barely breaks 60lbs) were so great and worked hard to finish the job while I sat back and supervised. I see I forgot to mention that I am a disabled veteran.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>They also changed the oil and tranny fluids and filters. That was when I found that the 97 had barely cracked the water jacket and coolant and oil were starting to mix. Hence the new truck.</div><div><br></div><div>Because of that I won't be able to afford any mods for the next few months. I am still recovering from having to come up with extra beyond my emergency savings for a good down payment.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I've only gotten to use the bus twice but my brother and dad have used it a handful of times for some of the jobs they have had. My brother is a general contractor with his own business. My dad's retired but works with my brother on occasion for some extra spending cash.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>With their input I have a list of repairs/ mods I want to do to the bus when I can afford it. This off-season for camping in KS where I am has let me get the bus into the mechanics to get it a great checkup and extended time for maintenance. So far I've replaced the worst of the tires. Gave it a complete tune-up and have just rebuilt the carb on it. Since it could sit for a couple of weeks the mechanic gave me a huge discount on labor and no charge for storage. That way he could have his guys work on it during slow periods and leave it when things got busy. Worked out best for both of us.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Future To do list:</div><div><br></div><div>1: Revamp the power center. The converter went out of the all-in-one unit that was in the bus went out. I was able to wire in an old 12 V converter and power unit scavenged from a ruined old camper at the local junkyard.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>2: Go over the&nbsp;possibility of adding a 12V auxillary power system like solar or wind. Something to extend the charge on my batteries between generator usage.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think my initial system will be wind simply because of my location. There is a huge windfarm about 30 minutes away so I have no doubt that I will have good power from a turbine. But I want a setup that I can eventually add solar to as well. This is one of the reasons I joined this forum. I used to be an electronics technician &nbsp;so I know I can do the install. But I am&nbsp;definitely no engineer so I will need help designing the system.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>3: Paint the bus. You can't tell it that much from the photo's but the paint job is crappy on the bus to put it mildly. The wrong paints were used and are peeling and fading. I am looking at getting help from a retired friend of my dad's that repaints farm machinery for spare cash. He has some great ideas for cleaning up and properly painting the bus.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>4: Update the interior. The inside is good but needs to be refinished. Recover all of the seats and redo all of the curtains. I am even contemplating replacing some of the paneling. I still haven't gotten it all nailed down.</div>

The front couch folds down into a full size bed. But even up I've fell asleep on it easily. I just want to redo the upholstery because of a few tears. And I need to add blackout curtains. I do need to replace the the chep futon matress in the back. I think it came from a $100 walmart futon and is very lumpy. It works for now but I have to sleep on the front couch/bed with my sensitive back meaning the girls get the bed in the back.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>They don't mind it that way though because last time we went out in it they got to sleep through the whole&nbsp;tear-down&nbsp;process. I was already driving home before any of them woke up.</div>

<div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial">Welcome neighbor!</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial">Katie</font></div>