Gray water disposal on BLM land

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildas mate

Reaction score
I’ve been reviewing the BLM materials linked from the new caravan page <https://www.cheaprvliving.com/caravans/> and found this statement:

“To further protect your public lands, campers must not dispose of any refuse, hazardous materials, sewage, or gray water, in any manner that would pollute the surrounding area.”

Regarding gray water, what do boondockers use as a rule of thumb to determine whether gray water would “pollute the surrounding area?” Is it the amount of gray water, the content of the gray water, the type of ground, surrounding vegetation, etc. Is it ok to pour out gray water onto the ground in any situation?

I’ve found that people have different methods of cleaning their dishes, pots and pans that vary from using a sink and a good amount of water as they would at home with a gray water receptacle to using very little water (such as a water and vinegar solution spray to wipe dishes after removing food) resulting in very little gray water that is mostly free of any food particles.

I’m interested in hearing from boondockers that don’t have a gray water tank or receptacle but clean up out of a bowl or a bucket.

One reason I liked my old motor home with one large waste tank was I didn't have to worry about issues like this as most anything that went down the drain ended up in a sewer at a dump station. Plus in most areas I was the only one there for months so what did pour out hit a ground tarp and had plenty of time to evaporate. It was staked down far enough away insects didn't get in the camper and was really cool to see what showed up the next day. Now days there are so many people around and the policies require using established campsites so everything pretty much goes in the tank. I carry a portable tank to catch gray water and use a seperating toliet or bucket with a bag now days.

The trouble with gray water is soap/detergent. Food is biodegradable, so are skin cells, and dirt is just dirt. If you wash with vinegar or certain biodegradable soaps, just toss your gray water on the ground.

Matildas mate said:
. . . Regarding gray water, what do boondockers use as a rule of thumb to determine whether gray water would “pollute the surrounding area?” Is it the amount of gray water, the content of the gray water, the type of ground, surrounding vegetation, etc. Is it ok to pour out gray water onto the ground in any situation? . . .

It is dependent on amount, content, area, time of year:
  • amount - I seldom have a gallon to dispose of, so I don't worry about it other than in very sensitive areas.
  • content - my grey water contains almost no food scraps and I use only biodegradable soaps.  I really don't want to attract bears, skunks, raccoons, mice, etc. to my camp.
  • area - desert areas are different than forest areas or rain forests.
  • time of year - I am less worried about my impact during rainy season than the dry time of year.
When staying in place for a while I disperse my wastewater to different sites and check to see that I am not leaving a noticeable residue.  And it is usually carried a ways away from my camp.

I contain my gray water in portable jugs and dump them at a campground. But I have used gray water to put out my campfire and ensure the coals are out before moving on.

"Leave no trace behind"....if you packed it 'in', you can pack it 'out'.

Then you don't have to worry about 'interpreting' the rule...just shorten to:

"To further protect your public lands, campers must not dispose of any refuse, hazardous materials, sewage, or gray water, in any manner."

EZ PZ.

From what I gather good old Ivory soap is 100% biodegradable. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2234581/biodegradable-camping-soap
Many soaps act as a fertilizer, so the plants really don't object. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soap-suds-as-a-fertilizer/
If I am in an area where the camp site is not used on a regular basis, I will water a bush with my grey, ( I Shower with a gallon or less using a garden sprayer jug).

People like to take issues to extremes. I try not to make mountains out of mole hills. If you can't tell that I was ever there, that is leave no trace to me. People buy products that pollute the earth on a major scale and then cry about someone pissing in the woods. How much pollution was caused in the manufacture of cell phones, vehicles, electronics, etc.? Even cotton farming is a major polluter.

highdesertranger said:
everything is biodegradable that's not the point.  highdesertranger
The part of the OP that I think covers the issue is, ".... in any manner that would pollute the surrounding area".
I am not polluting the surrounding area. I am watering and fertilizing. The plant does not consider it pollution.

For backpackers, the rule of thumb has always been to not dump any greywater within 100 feet of any water source, and dump it in sand if you can so it gets filtered on the way down to the water table.

Even biodegradable soap is toxic to waterlife, so don't dump it near water.

Latest posts