Local Caravan Resources As We Go Our Separate Ways

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamk

Reaction score
I’m currently camping by myself near the final Caravans that formally end in two days on Monday, March 23.

The Caravan website https://www.meetup.com/Caravans/ was a valuable resource to me because of the detailed local info about what to expect at each location.

Since we’re losing this resource for now and going our separate ways, I’ve found these current local resources also useful. They are guiding my travel plans as I work my way towards comfortable temperatures and disease-free areas. Please share yours too in this thread.

Arizona map of confirmed COVID-19 cases, Arizona EMS and 9-1-1 Resources, Valley Fever Resources, etc.
Arizona Department Of Health Services - Highlighted Infectious Diseases for Arizona

Note that La Paz County has zero confirmed cases of COVID-19 as of today, March 20. This is the county where the Caravans are currently located (home to the towns of Quartzite and Parker).
COVID19 - La Paz County - 2020.03.21.png

This local news website has a continuously updated blog on confirmed cases of [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]COVID-19[/font]:
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/live-blog-coronavirus-in-arizona-latest-case-numbers

Finally, I valued this recent advice from Bob Wells:

"The one last thing I would say as our general advice to everyone is to find a small group of people that you trust, work out some kind of agreement where you’re supporting each other, get as much food and water in your rigs as you can, go as deep into the national forests or BLM land as you can and hunker down."
- Bob Wells, "Live Feed Nomads and the Coronavirus - March 18, 2020 PART 2" (scrub to 54:28),

Attachments

• COVID19 - La Paz County - 2020.03.21.png
    COVID19 - La Paz County - 2020.03.21.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 6
Information: the case in Yuma is on the Marine Corps Air Station, and a few other Marines are being quarantined; it's all on the base. We do not have community spread reported yet in Yuma, but that Marine acquired the virus through travel to nearby metro areas (Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tucson) that do have some cases. Be safe out there.   ~crofter

if you head to the least populated area small towns do be prepared for what might not be the most welcoming of attitudes to a bunch of strangers coming in as a group. The times are changing at least for the next few months. Try to stock up on your supplies in the larger towns and do not buy in bulk quantities in the small towns as those locals do need to rely on those sources. They want and need to stay socially isolated at this time.

This is a very unusual situation, but in many ways it will strengthen your ability to be independent as well as adaptable.

At 9:30am Monday morning, March 23, there will be a Quartzite Town Council "Special Meeting" at 295 E. Chandler Street.

The second item on the agenda is "Declaration of Local Public Health Emergency in the Town of Quartzsite, Arizona".

Here is the full agenda: View attachment 032320_Council_Special_Meeting_Agenda_w_cert.pdf
The minutes of this meeting will be posted here:
http://www.ci.quartzsite.az.us/inde...08-06-41-15/town-council/agendas-minutes-2020

I originally learned about this on a local Quartzite radio station (96.5 FM if memory serves).

I do not plan to attend and will instead wait for the minutes. If you attend, please post your observations here.

Note that the agenda says "Members of the Quartzsite Common Council may attend either in person or by telephone conferencing."

Attachments

• 032320_Council_Special_Meeting_Agenda_w_cert.pdf
    208.7 KB · Views: 4
Quartzsite has the unenviable situation of being right in the middle between California and the rest of the US, being right on I-10, and near to Phoenix. Right in the middle. It might better to be camping north of there for the foreseeable future.

I should add that, if I were still down there, I would probably look at camping in the good sized area about 4 1/2 miles west of Parker off Hwy 62 (turning right near the big power lines) for the time being. There should still be a goodly number of other RVs in there, but there is space to camp not too close to others. It's up a bit in elevation so will stay cooler. And close to the stores in Parker.

Also, the rattlesnakes will be coming out of hibernation now, so camping near water, especially down along the river, may not be the best option.

Looks like the same process all towns of any size are needing to do now. There has to be a formalization of process in the council to invoke the emergency medical protocol so that the community can draw upon the available help from the state an federal government.
This is certainly not something that people camping nearby need to be worried about. It is very much similar to what President Trump and congress did the other day to invoke the process that allowed them to fund and staff the need for mobilizing the emergency health care system to make sure the areas in crisis had medical supplies and doctors on hand.  

Think of the meeting as the formal "start your engines" call the official makes to begin the race so the drivers can head out. The BLM campers do not need to attend this meeting, that would only make it longer than it needs to be and you would create problem for the council such as lack of social distancing that could prevent them from getting this essential task done. It is not about you, it is about a protocol that must be followed and voted on so they can submit paperwork to get assistance.

The draft minutes from Monday's "Special Meeting" of the Quartzite Town Council are now posted.

Here is a copy: View attachment 032320_Special_Council_Meeting_Minutes_-_DRAFT.pdf
These parts caught my eye:

• There is a new Facebook Group called "Quartzsite Community COVID Resources".
  • Town Manager Jim Ferguson stated that the Emergency Proclamation "... in no way establishes any specific guidelines. He said we are not suggesting that people shut down their businesses. … this simply, notes that we acknowledge what is happening and puts the Town on record as being supportive of the process."
  • The Emergency Proclamation also triggered this local statue:
… one of the Statutes that are referenced, A.R.S. § 26-311, it does specify that once this declaration is made, the Town can put these guidelines in. He said he thinks it is important to know that it is not necessarily the possibility of the Town doing kind of what it wants, how it sees fit, it is that there can be guidelines; it does specify curfews or possible ordering closures of business, closing to public access any public buildings, street, or public place. He continued that it also specifies in the Statutes about those that willingly fail or refuse to obey a lawful order or regulation issued; so, the Town can be issuing additional regulations once these powers are in place; the power changes when this proclamation goes in; our liberties can be curtailed to a greater extent. He said he thinks that needs to be emphasized. He noted that if someone fails to obey what the Town has put in place under this power, it is a Class 1 Misdemeanor which is up to six months in jail with a $2,500 fine.

It is interesting for me to get a glimpse into the mechanics of this small town.

Attachments

• 032320_Special_Council_Meeting_Minutes_-_DRAFT.pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 1
maki2 said:
if you head to the least populated area small towns do be prepared for what might not be the most welcoming of attitudes to a bunch of strangers coming in as a group.  The times are changing at least for the next few months. Try to stock up on your supplies in the larger towns and do not buy in bulk quantities in the small towns as those locals do need to rely on those sources. They want and need to stay socially isolated at this time.
I'm not going to go into detail but yesterday I stopped at a gas station somewhere not far from where I'm camped looking for water. I asked if there was any way to PAY to fill one of my 7 gallon containers. I was told no, the nearest place is******* which is 40 miles away. I didn't know what to say, so I just said WOW. She got the idea. Me and my money both left. I'll be leaving a Google review