Got my Solar Kit!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I myself would never run solid wire in a mobile application. vibration will cause a failure. not if but when. I have seen it fail in houses where there is no vibration. highdesertranger

I agree, I would never run solid wire in a mobile application, would I use it for 1,000 miles if I didn't have any other option, sure, that aside, nope, it just isn't worth the risk, like HDR said, not if but when. I mean, I guess that applies to all things including the end of the world but in this situation it's a lot sooner than I would call an acceptable risk.

I appreciate your concern and I might replace it but I just looked and all of the 110 is run with solid wire. The rig is 17 years old and everything works fine so far, I'm going to take my chances.

Well, I was waiting for so odds and ends and wires but today I finished it all up.

I received the cables to connect the batteries on Thursday, left work early hoping to instal them and get the system up and running.

Battery-wires.jpg

My buddy sent me extra beefy cables, which was real nice of him, except that they were quite a few levels of overkill than what I needed. Additionally, they were difficult to work with.

I was unsure of how it should all hook together. I'm usually good at that type of thing but I just could not get my head around it without drawing myself a diagram.

Diagram.jpg

I got it all hooked up but it wasn't working. It was getting cold and dark so I cleaned up and called it a day.
I new I would have to be on the phone to AM Solar in the morning, and they would have to understand what I was talking about so I opened my diagram in Photoshop and redrew it.

Inverter-and-Batt-wiring.jpg

Attachments

• Battery-wires.jpg
    Battery-wires.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Inverter-and-Batt-wiring.jpg
    Inverter-and-Batt-wiring.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 7
I sent an email with the diagram to AM Solar and told them I'd be calling in the morning.

When I called, Roger answered and he ran me through a few checks, made a few suggestions, asked me to take a photo and then call him back.

Before I could take the photos and send them to him he called me back and said that he had looked at the diagram and that he saw the problem. 

The Black/Red wire needed to be all by itself with nothing else attached to that terminal. He instructed me to move a couple wires and check.

I did, flipped on a light and Voila! Let there be LIGHT!

Solar-Finished.jpg

This is a photo before I fixed my errors.

I tidied things up and covered it up.

Solar-compartment.jpg

So, there ya go! I'm up and running.

Now, onto the next project, new carpet in the cab area and Pergo type stuff in the back.

Carpet.jpg

Attachments

• Solar-Finished.jpg
    Solar-Finished.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 11
  • Solar-compartment.jpg
    Solar-compartment.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Carpet.jpg
    Carpet.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts