Good sources for full-length High-Tops?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2001 B3500 and have been hunting craigslist, ebay, and all of the internet for a high-top. Preferably a 24" with windows, with a flat top (plans to mount a roof rack are in my future). Ive contacted Fiberine and hear they are fantastic, except for the fact that they are wicked expensive. Any one know of a reliable source for tops? 
Thanks!

keep checking every wrecking yard you can find. have them put out finder. they can check other yards in any area. also keep an eye out in rural areas for a van parked look for one that looks like it hasn't been driven. then stop and ask. Boise has a fair scrap market so remove the top and anything else you want and scrap the rest. unless you want to spend the time to part it out. oh yeah welcome. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
keep checking every wrecking yard you can find.  have them put out finder.  they can check other yards in any area.  also keep an eye out in rural areas for a van parked look for one that looks like it hasn't been driven.  then stop and ask.  Boise has a fair scrap market so remove the top and anything else you want and scrap the rest.  unless you want to spend the time to part it out.  oh yeah welcome.  highdesertranger

+ 1

I can't begin to tell you how many vans I've seen sitting in farm fields with  the high tops. Of course I try to take the back roads whenever possible so I guess I up my chances but still.

Also, once you start looking for them in wrecking yards and backyards, you'll start seeing more and more of them.

Know in advance the dimensions of what you need (length and maximum width) and carry a tape measure. If it's a little shorter or narrower than your maximum dimensions it will still work, you'll just have more of a shelf on the original roof.

Almost There said:
+ 1

I can't begin to tell you how many vans I've seen sitting in farm fields with  the high tops. Of course I try to take the back roads whenever possible so I guess I up my chances but still.

Also, once you start looking for them in wrecking yards and backyards, you'll start seeing more and more of them.

Know in advance the dimensions of what you need (length and maximum width) and carry a tape measure. If it's a little shorter or narrower than your maximum dimensions it will still work, you'll just have more of a shelf on the originThanks
Thanks! Yeah I've been keeping an eye out and asking any time I see one. I've found a few on CL that i may pick up and scrap the rest, as they don't run. I have a lot of mechanical and fabrication skills but have never mounted a top and don't know much about using an econoline or express top on a B series. I have been told that most tops that work for '71 and up econolines will fit my Dodge; as long as they are from an extended E series.

the tops are mostly interchangeable between standard vans. take a tape measure and measure length and width. they are fairly easy to install. if you get a whole van to work with and remove the top you will see how it's installed. highdesertranger