Good Reads.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres the review from goodreads.com (heh)
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/190542.Gun_Monkeys

but like I said, its a lot like sin city, if you didnt like that movie/comic I dont know if you'd like this but for me... when the maul meets the brutal thug and they discuss all the many uses for duct tape and fall in love... it was a winner ;-)

and if you do like that, I also really enjoyed "Go-Go girls of the apocalypse" as a adventuresome read...

Blue, thank you for the link.

Reducto, TheClockwork Universe by Edward Dolnick. Good read, sounds like it might be right up your alley.

I just got back in from my roadtrip, and I listened to "Wild", by Cheryl Strayed, which is her personal account of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. AWESOME story and really great writing!!

Patrick46, I also read "Wild" by Cheryl Stayed and found it to be a good read. I think someone said there is a movie coming out based on the book but doubt if it will be as good as the book.

‘A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.’
Henry David Thoreau

'As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.' - Henry David Thoreau

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden

I'm a big Thoreau fan. 'Walden' is a masterpiece on philosophical and some practical aspects of minimalism. Although published in 1854 many of his ideas ideas are applicable today. Some even more so now than back then.

I was wondering how many posts it would take on books before we got to Thoreau, kind of how many licks it takes to get to the bottom of the tootsie pop (lol) yeah Thoreau definately hits that rebellious nature loving heart string I see in most vandwellers, but its just a little too much Mike Dodge for me.

It's nice when one reaches that stage in life when one can turn to the Thoreau or Mike Dodge mindset. But it can't be for everyone at every stage of life. If it was, their would be no civilization to rebel against, and no vans or RV's to rebel in.

Still being reminded of a simpler life and the world we are part of keeps us grounded. I want to download "Wild," but I have to wait another day for my hispeed to refresh. Or, I could leave my cocoon and offer to buy DH a drink at Barnes and Nobel.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'Travels with Charley' by John Steinbeck. I've read it more times than I can remember.
-Bill-

I just bought "The Worst Hard Time" about the '30s dustbowl days off eBay but didn't notice it was an audio book. I've tried audio books in the past and didn't like them but this narrator is better, so it's good listening.

I finally found a copy of "Freedom Road" at Half Price Books. $4.99. This was (in my way of thinking) the first author to call for people to end the rat race and go full time in an RV. Much has been written since, and his prices (from 1991) are a bit dated, but the information is solid and it was an enjoyable read. If you find it cheap, you won't regret buying it.

Bama

Just finished "Wild." It was a good read. Got to say, I really never got to like or empathize with the author. Usually, I can find some common ground. Still, I can respect her determination and her hard-won achievements. It was a ripping good read.

Funniest book I've ever read was Queen of the road, 47 states, 22000 miles, 200 shoes, 2 cats, one Poodle, a husband and a bus with a mind of its own by Doreen Orion Yes that is the title, I got it on Kindle and after reading it, ordered the paperback for my Mother. I love books on my Ipod, Dean Kuntz had one about a rescued Golden that was really great and another about a dog who escaped from a lab who was smarter than any man. Sorry, can't remember the names but I hated to stop driving I got so involved and I cannot read most of his books. The narrator was excellent.

Just downloaded "Queen of rhe Road." Reviews are good. I could use a good chuckle once the sale of this house closes.

I find it less tiring and easier on my eyes to listen to a book:
a great way to conquer the classics like Les Miserables, Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Loss of the S.S. Titanic, The Dead by James Joyce, Call of the Wild, Burning Daylight, White Fang, and Valley of the Moon by Jack London -- anything by Jack London

run by volunteers, public domain books;
https://librivox.org/

best search page; download or listen online
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/categories/1

Farley Mowat wrote some good, funny and very real stuff, too. He was almost Twain-ian, tho being staunchly Canadian, he would have hated to hear anyone say so.

I looked it up, both books were by Dean Koontz. Watchers was about the over intelligent Golden who escaped from a lab. Great book on tape. Darkest evening of the year was the other book about a rescue dog.
Let me know if you liked Queen when you read it Jean, I laughed to hard I had tears running down my leg. :blush:

Decodancer,
My mistake. :p :rolleyes::huh:
the book "Smart Dog" by Van deVelde is described as...

"F-32 (or Sherlock, as he comes to be named) is a ""smart dog"" indeed--he has escaped from a university research lab where a scientific experiment has endowed him with speech and all sorts of other signs of intelligence. Unfortunately, the experiment is scheduled to end in the dissection of his brain".

"Watchers" by Koonz is described as ...
"Haven't we all looked at the expression on our pet's face and wondered what were they thinking at one time or another? Koontz takes this notion and runs with it in Watchers. Travis is an ex-military that has lost the loved ones in his life and was taking a walk in the mountains trying to rediscover happiness. He comes upon a Golden Retriever that acts as if he is trying to warn him of impending danger ahead on the trail and convinces Travis to high-tail it in the other direction. He takes the dog home with him and learns that this is no ordinary mutt. This is an escaped secret lab experiment with the intelligence of a human. Travis names him Einstein."

Similar concept - One Happy, one Horror!

No mistake stude, I now have another book that I want to read! Thanks :D

Latest posts