Good price on new TC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goshen is 45 miles south of me. Lots of RV surplus dealers between here & there I used to visit building remote cabins & aircraft hangers. Also lots of Amish bulk food stores with great deals. I miss going down there, great deals, nice people & a pleasant area.

Just West of Elkhart, Indiana. Elkhart has long been a leading RV producer.

In the U.S., about 85 percent of recreational vehicles sold are manufactured in Indiana. The industry has a 32.4 billion dollar annual economic impact in Indiana and supports 126,140 jobs and 7.8 billion dollars in wages.

Years ago Tom Raper RV in Richmond, Indiana used to advertise in my area. (Raper now deceased) His business wasn't far from I-70 where Columbus, Ohio is on I-70. He drew numerous buyers from Ohio, West Virginia, and Kentucky.....who didn't realize Elkhart was at the north end of the State. Richmond, Indiana was at the south end of the State. Buyers could have driven on north to Elkhart and saved even more.

California has also been a leader in RV manufacturing, but it isn't so centralized as it is in Indiana.

California RV Manufacturing

It's the Elkhart area as most surrounding towns either make RVs like Goshen makes motor homes, other trailers, etc & some towns even in Michigan make components like BigFoot leveling who sold a building & I bought all the equipment in it.

I knew that about Indiana. Maybe because I live next door in Illinois. Guessing many of the trailers made there end up in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. After scouring craigslist for four years for campers, I learned that those three states, plus Colorado, have the biggest selection of campers. Florida has a big selection of RV's. West coast has plenty, too.

I'd love to visit (no, I WILL visit) the RV/MH Hall of Fame in Elkhart: https://www.rvmhhalloffame.org/ <<< Their page won't load for me.

Atlas Obscura has lots of photos from the museum: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/rvmh-hall-of-fame

Edit: Traveling Robert on youtube visited the RV Hall of Fame and made a video about it. Think that is how I learned of the museum. Here is his video:

Last edited:
And just FYI they moved the museum and its now on the south side of Amarillo...I have not visited since the move, but it's on my bucket list!

Latest posts