gold mining

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Maybe HDR is from the 1800's?? "

Now-A-Days I feel like it. I am not 25 anymore. LOL

Highdesertranger

^^^Heck who are you kidding? Even 60 was better than where you are now! Lol!!! I saw a spade the other day that was made into an art piece by plasma cutting out a landscape from it, just trying to figure out what to do with mine now I don’t use it much!

Just so you know on Oak Island they still haven't found gold.

Freelander said:
Just so you know on Oak Island they still haven't found gold.

I'd been wondering about that, I hadn't seen the last couple seasons.
Great show but History effed it up, I royally hate their formatting of the show.
Is that the tree that shadowed the patch where the hole was dug? etc etc lol
And way too much recapping, episodes were maybe 5 or 10 minutes of new material, the rest was all recapping what had happened previously.
But I'm going to cut myself short before I get started on that lol

Interesting. Growing up in the Sacramento Valley, we have many gold bearing areas in the hills. I have helped friends with the deep dredge, fed by compressed air and warm water in the suit (it nice), and of course, countless times of just going out and picking rocks and panning to find small flakes. Just fun stuff. I've seen dredges with two Honda engines and one with a Volkswagen engine. Ours was an 8 inch, which i believe is about 2 inches over the limit, but that was decades ago. Looking at the pics I assumed you'd be somewhere in Cali, but no. I see Oregon. Looks nice for sure.

The dredge pictures are from the Klamath River in N California. you could make a living on the Klamath. But alas ALL dredges are now illegal in the golden state. Even Highbankers are illegal. I don't even mine in Cali anymore almost everything except panning is illegal and that's illegal in some places. Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
some more.

another shot I am under water here at the end of the green hose you can't see me because of the reflection on the water.  to give you an idea Robert is 5'10" and he is standing up.

here is Pat tending the dredge.  no wet suit Brrr.

WOW, that is SO cool. I love rockhounding and have found alot of gold containing pieces always high up in the mountains in CO (above 13K). Fun and exciting.

notice the mass of hoses. not really not really sure what Pat is doing here,  but the pump suction hose is right between his legs. :huh:

Pat sitting by the gold wheel.  more on the gold wheel later.

enjoying a cold one at the end of the day.  Pat has the visor on and I have a beer in my hand. on this shot you can see the jumper cables running from the gold wheel to my truck.  this is to power the gold wheel I have since upgraded this and now run the wheel of a battery box more on that later.  highdesertranger

I have a bit of the gold mining bug myself, and i very much look forward to getting out there and doing it this summer. Even if its just with a metal detector and a pan. Even if i don't find any, i just love the thought of it.

I have some friends in North Carolina and have gone up there several times and helped them out-- they have a very basic sluice set up WAY up in the mountains. Beautiful area but hard to get to (full day hike). The biggest problem is packing the beer up the mountain--it get heavy! They don't make a lot but as they say "it gives us a break from our wives"- :p