Going Full Time

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenderGravity

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My name is mike, I have been a part time vandweller in the PNW, going full time in February. I have a 95 C20, recently rebuilt 350 and transmission. I really like the site and all the suggestions.
Thanks for all the great knowledge and sharing.
mike

Hi Mike.

Welcome to the forum neighbor!

pics brother...we like pics!!

Patrick from the Oregon Coastline

Thanks, and yes, I will work on getting a few pics. I did make a woodstove out of a metal 5 gal. pail, for times in the country where stealth is not important.

Thanks, I like the Columbia Gorge alot, I will try to load some pics. I made a small woodstove out of a metal 5 gal. pail which works good out in the country.
mike

Welcome!
We live in Forest Grove. How about those CG winds today! Pics of the stove would be nice. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a C20?

Yes, very clear and windy today. I should have said 95 Chevy C20 just a plain 1/2 ton cargo van that I am having fun fixing up. I bought a clean metal 5 gal. pail from Miller Paint, to make the stove. I also have a small Mr. Buddy for a backup and use when needed. I was also thinking of getting a 12' length of 6" black plastic pipe to mount on the rack on top, that could be filled with water, and used as a solar water heater with a spigot on the back for a shower. It would look like a pipe carrier plumbers use. Anybody else try that?
Thanks,
mike

Haven't tried that but it sounds like a reasonable idea. The 12' x 6" piece would be approx 17 gal. so many one could even get away with a shorter/smaller piece..

TenderGravity said:
I was also thinking of getting a 12' length of 6" black plastic pipe to mount on the rack on top, that could be filled with water, and used as a solar water heater with a spigot on the back for a shower.

That's a pretty good idea. Two birds with that; a shower and a commercial van look.
I haven't tried it but I've thought about using large PVC for a grey tank. You can sometime find scraps on Craig's for cheap.

Just an idea...but couldn't you also install a schrader valve into the pipe and just use an old bike pump to pressurize the shower ? I assume a screw on pipe cap could handle 10-15 psi (?).
KinA

I have a friend who did it but he used 2 inch PVC painted black. He ran it back and forth across the roof like the tubes in a radiator.His was so long and low you could not see it at all and it worked great! It warmed up fast and got really hot in the summer so he had to take his shower early in the day before it was scalding hot.

He said he was worried about a big pipe sloshing around as it ran down. Remember that 17 gals is 136 pounds and when it is half empty thats 70 pounds flying down the tube when you hit the brakes. My friends was only 4 gals and he said that was plenty.
Bob

I did wonder about the sloshing around factor, I never thought about the 2' pipe, it could be mounted on the underside of the rack.
Thanks,
mike

Hi TG, Welcome from north Florida. Good idea about the PVC pipe, A good place to find pieces is around a new housing development. When they install the water mains there are many cut-offs, they usually leave them all along where they are working, bury the pieces as they bury the pipe, easier clean-up for them. They won't mind if you want them. Like everyone says, we like pictures, and like to answer questions. Duane

I remember bookmarking this site some time back, at it had a piece about "Bob's 12 Rules For Stealth Parking in the City." I can't find it. Am I missing it, or is this topic worthy of a new thread so that others can come up with suggestions that work? I will be in the city to start with here in a few days, any suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks,
mike