Going full-time November 30th

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyVanderer

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone. On November 30th I am moving into my van full-time. It won't be done as things have unfolded quite quickly. But hey, I'll have a finished floor, solar, water, insulated walls/roof, and heat. What more do I need? This move has been a long-time coming and the preparation for it is obvious as I look back and see how my life and experiences have unfolded. So, I'm moving into the van first, and a week later I'm leaving my soul-crushing job. 

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My practical preparation/van build has begun and I've done the unthinkable, cut a hole in a perfectly good van roof! Installing my fan was confidence-building, but always one thing at a time. I just need the van build to be far enough along to have it[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] be[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] "good enough" to move into.[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] I'll live in it for a year or so, so I can decide how I want the space to be.[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I've learned a lot from you.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]As for living in a van, I have lived long enough to[/font] know that I will weather the inevitable "adventures" I'll have. I'm not nervous about this now and don't feel regret leaving my stuff and sticks and bricks behind. But I know I won't sleep too well the night before before I drive away from my family members. Regardless, I am relieved to make this lifestyle change, and am looking forward to be a part of this remarkable community. Thank you for reading.

Welcome to the CRVL forums happyVanderer! It sounds like you've planned everything well and you should be ready to go by November 30th even if your build is not quite finished. Please keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Regardless of who you are, one needs courage to take that first step, but I imagine that you will get more excited as the day approaches, I know I would, if I could leave my soul crushing job, and head out.

It can be tough to see a way of life die and almost immediately evolve into a rebirth, but given your situation I think you'll find the change to be worth it.   I would suggest you take some time to plan a venture that would take you thru several types of scenery.   Flat land, mountains, coastal seascapes, thru larger cities, and quaint small towns.  

As to the adjustment of such a small space as living in a Van,  Think about how much room you use at any given time in the sticks and bricks.  Probably small spaces too.  You just have to walk further to get to any one of them.  In your Van they are closer together.  If you get the yearning for space, you could stop and park the Van (somewhere safe) and visit a large Public Library, or a Gym (where you have a national membership....Planet Fitness as an example).  

If you feel lonely when on the road you can always turn to your social network media.  See and talk with people back home using SKYPE or Google's  "Hangouts".  Blog about your travels so you can have a journal on the cloud.  Take photos of wild & crazy stuff you see on the road and post them on Pinterest etc.  Consider taking up some hobbies.

Before long you'll wonder why you stayed so long on that soul crushing job and put up with a situation that may have made you feel inadequate while bleeding every drop of energy out of you it could.

We work to live, not to have the life sucked out of us.