Goal Zero 1000 @ Costco for $1k plus 200 W Solar Panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
I saw Goal Zero 400 Lithium on sale and bought it with 60 W solar panels w/ tripod - I can add 60 more W to this tripod for $230.
I really do not want to deal with putting the setup together (for cheaper) myself.

Can I just plug the GZ into my cigarette lighter to charge when I am driving, shore at campsites and solar when stopped?

I would use it for phone, macbook and a smaller Dominic cooler.

Or would it be better to upgrade to a Goal Zero 1000 @ Costco for $1k plus 200 W (or so) Solar Panels?

wrt storage capacity, with the bigger one:

Phone OK, no problem.

Macbook, maybe if only light and occasional usage

*Dometic* "cooler", I really doubt it, even with the biggest $2000 one (only 132AH, the "1000" model only 83!)

IMO should get a proper fridge/freezer anyway.

wrt charging, ciggie sockets melt w/ that many amps

built-in shore power charger likely too small

wrt panels, mount as much as you can fit, probably need a bigger/should get a better quality controller

To do what you want requires more battery than you'd want to lift, really a semi-permanent install in the van.

If you don't want to figure it out, get solar/RV store recommendations and pay them (a premium) to do it all.

PattySprinter said:
Can I just plug the GZ into my cigarette lighter to charge when I am driving, shore at campsites and solar when stopped?

Their website talks only about charging it via the wall or the solar panels.  The cigarette plug on it appears to be power out, rather than power in.  Lithium batteries need some fairly sophisticated battery management circuitry to control the charging.  I would think if they wanted it to be chargeable via 12 volts, they would have provided a cord to do that.

Now then, the ac charging is done via a box that plugs in to the wall.  I couldn't find any specs on the output of that box.  If you have it, and it's marked for a 12 volt dc output, then maybe something could be done.

Bottom line is you really need to call their tech support number and inquire of them.

18+hrs to recharge from shore power.

Designed for a weekend of gadgets, not van living.

DIY not just better value, but objectively better full stop.

I have an inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket.  The Goal Zero AC charger could plug into that.  That gets it charging from the cigarette lighter.

You may not want to do any more than just buy a thing to do what you want.  The problem is that this product with no more engineering doesn't do what you want.

The Dominic cooler I found with google uses ice.  How would the Goal Zero be involved?

Really, Dominic? Sorry I assumed typo for Dometic.

Get a Killawatt and come up with AH per day number, a bigger yeti + more solar may be enough.

did I read that right, 60 watts for 230 bucks. wow just wow. highdesertranger

Yes, some people claim such outrageous overpricing isn't "scamming", but not me. . .

Really, better value is a $20 box for a $X battery, plus a few connectors and plug sockets.

Then you can afford a quality high capacity shore charge get recharged **much** faster.

And an excellent solar controller, sized for the reasonably priced panels filling up your available space.

With enough left over for a nice battery monitor if you invest in expensive batteries. If cheap FLA, then a hydrometer will do nicely.

Inverter only if really needed, then sized to match the device(s).

Double the capacity and functionality for half the price.

All the small lithiums powerpacks have to be slow charged. Even my hand built 37 ah lithium powerpack that I built with a 60 amp BMS has to be slow charged. I try fast charging it but it keeps tripping the BMS. It'll fast charge for an hour but as soon as the battery surface voltage reaches 12.6 volts it stops charging. It'll be at 11.8 or 11.9 volts. I have to slow charge the rest of the way.

But slow charging it takes longer to reach the 12.6 volts and gives me a better charge. But takes all day.

Balance charging is the only fast way to charge a lithium, I don't think any of the powerpacks come with an expensive balance charger or method to connect one to them. As soon as the built-in circuitry sees 12.6 volts, most will stop charging. It makes them extremely safe that you wont overcharge them.

AFAIC big design flaw, no rational reason for that if LiFePO4, handles 1C or more no problem.

Only "overcharging" issue is too high a voltage - which most BMS allow - or continuing to charge after current has dropped below .02C.