GMC Savana mileage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seeker27

Reaction score
Hi, I'm considering buying a van like Bob Wells has - GMC Savana 4.8 liter gas motor. During his conversion videos he mentioned expecting to get 20-22 mpg I believe. Does anybody know what MPG he is getting now? I'm curious because some webpages have said the MPG is considerabley lower than those estimates and can't find any higher ones. Thanks for any info!

My 2007 Express 2500 with the 4.8L engine gets a consistent 16.5 mpg.

I have a 2017 GMC Savana 4.8 L and 342 gears with 10,500 miles on it and I get 17 MPG Hwy. and when pulling my 17' Casita trailer at 3,000 Lbs. I get 12 to 15 MPG.

I haven't done an old school math vs gallons at the pump calc yet but the dash screen showed 18.9 mpg . I'm really needing to do a long haul freeway run for true numbers.
This has the 5.3 LMF, Fed emissions, engine. The RPO lists rear axle as 3.42

I vaguely recall somewhere Bob mentioned his hi-top affected the mileage... It would be good to know that too...

2002 GMC Savana 2500, weighed in at 7300 lbs on scale when fully loaded.

5.7 L engine with 24 " high top.

Long haul trips including mountain passes- 16 +/- a hair per gallon.

Careful driver, no speeding, correct tire pressure and allow it walk up the inclines without hitting the gas, gentle braking!

I think for any of the V8's your looking at 16 to 18 tops on the highway. Funny how fuel injection and more modern engine management seems to have advanced mpg ratings on everything but full size vans. Every older carburated van I had (and I had many, many) did about exactly the same as the new ones without the check engine light nightmares.

While I did have older V6 and Straight 6 Chev vans (I hated), I also did have a V6 powered Chev Express cargo (by accident) that would nudge just over 19 if you were really gentle with it, but good lord living with the lack of power in comparison to any of the V8's was just brutal. It was marginally better than the older versions, but yuck... I would never, ever deal with a V6 in a full size van again unless it was a twin turbo /supercharged something of at least 4 litres. Yet often, I come across V6 models for sale that some poor soul drove 200 to 300K.. I would have gone nutz. I do still look at them because they always sell for less, and I guess I am still young enough to consider an LT swap.

Somewhat weirdly, I do come across references that show the full size AWD Chevy's doing a little better on MPG's than the 2 wheel drives. I don't quite understand why, but I've personally experienced the same with AWD Astro's of which I've also had quite a few. LOVED the AWD Astro vans... always dreamed of finding an AWD full size.

Good Luck... I think you would be thrilled with any late model Chevy V8 Van. Don't put all your concerns on mpg's. While you have vans like the Promaster bragging about 20 mpg numbers, I have a '16 Town and country I occasionally pull a 2990 lb max cargo trailer with (same 3.6) and there is simply no magic there even though they claim it can tow 3600lbs. Sure it can I guess.. with the engine screeeeeaming up there around the 4000rpm mark and 13-14 mpg's. I'd get better with a full size and a V8.

I have a 2016 GMC Savana 4.8L, 6-speed automatic, fairly lightweight minimalist buildout, not a lot of wooden cabinets, no paneling, etc. No towing. After 2 years and 16,000 miles on road trips, I get around 20 MPG on the highway and 18 MPG overall. :heart:  I tend to keep it around 65-70 MPH on the highway, any faster and the mileage suffers quite a bit. I believe the main issue with these later model vans is the 6-speed automatic helps keep the engine in its more efficient power range.