Glad to be here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentexas57

Reaction score
A quick "Hello" and thank you for accepting me into this community.  I have been watching the youtube videos for a while now.  It sparked an interest then a desire to follow a simpler path for my life.  My job will be ending sometime in July and I have been going back and forth on cargo van dwelling or car dwelling.  I want to be done with throwing money away on apartment rent and not sure where I want to live in a future home.  Freedom calls from my 17th floor office job downtown in Texas, as I look out the window and realize I could be viewing a beautiful lake or mountain range.

Welcome. If you can afford a van, life will be more enjoyable than in a car. I started in a 2008 Chevy HHR; at 6'3" it was cramped. Make sure to maintain an emergency fund for repairs.

Welcome, glad to have you. I also recommend a van if it's in the budget. I've lived in a car and I've lived in a dodge caravan. It was only just myself and I removed to 2nd and third row seats. Much more room back there that way. The car I had to sleep in the drivers seat and would kick the pedals in the night. Not particularly comfortable.

Welcome Ken to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I hear ya. near a lake or mountain view in the clouds, beats a sight from a work window cubicle any day :) :)

if you want a new home somewhere, then just car it along the way til you find that special area you want to re-locate....if you have more 'travel' and 'see' the world before you settle go with a cargo van for extra space on the road.

decision is which way you kinda want to travel til you settle. So think hard what you want to do while you look for your new area to live. You can have tons of adventures on the road, you just kinda figure out how long you might be on the road and I am sure you have an area in mind for a new home to settle so......just go with your gut feelings and what you want on this one.

Welcome to this forum Ken. 

Im in an old 21 foot RV. It's not  great on gas as expected  but have enough room to make it a home and an office. I also can comfortably entertain 3-4 people if and when I want. Thats great if you aim at community building of some sort. Im traveling with the CRVL caravans for 3 months now and honestly this is quite an out of the box lifestyle. I would highly recommend it to anyone that's seeking something away from the mundane.

Ive watched a lot of youtube videos of nomads including Bob Wells on his channel cheap rv living. That helped me be better equipped to be living on the road.

Happy Trails!

Welcome I'm a car camper in a Prius V. I'm full time now and also hated living a city with neighbors and the rest of the stuff that goes with it. I'm the happiest I've ever been in 63 years on earth.! Good luck.