GIRLS' ROOM!!! What clothing do you own?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have definitely been confused as to what to keep, get rid of, etc. Then I decided that since I already have a storage unit I'll just keep what I want until I've lived in the van awhile. That way I'll know much better what will be useful to me or not, how much room I have, etc. I'm not going to feel guilty about paying for storage because I've figured out that I can pay for it up to 2 years before the cost of storage equals the cost of replacing everything I have in there and several boxes worth can't be replaced. I felt a huge weight come off me once I figured that out.

For my clothes I bought 3 of those Ziploc jumbo sized flexible totes so I can toss them around, stuff them under my bed, chuck them up on the drivers seat, etc. I'm not going to have much room at all for things because I'm also going to be toting around 2 small critters with their crates and a litter box. Those totes will be plenty of room for my clothes and if there's extra room left in them(most likely) I'll stuff my towels in them too. Just to prepare for the occasion I bought some new sweatshirts to go with my tshirts! I'll be prepared for whatever weather comes.

Put one of those little round garage sale stickers with a date on everything. If a certain amount of time goes by and the sticker has not come off so you could wear it, you most likely will never wear it. Give it to Goodwill.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant storage as far as everything in general.  All my clothes are coming with me.  Thankfully I'm not a clothes horse but it does tell you how much I have(I have so little clothes I don't own a dresser, they are in 2 totes) being I not only have room for all of it, I had room enough to buy more sweatshirts...and I'm a BIIIGG girl!  lol

I KNOW that initially I will have more than I have room for... but that first week I'm truly heading out of here I will stop by 2 family's homes and dump the crystal and china and jewelry. hahaha whether they want it or not! That will remove about 10 cf of stuff and give me more walking space in my van.

I'm not even taking the clothes I thought I would because I've lost 5 more pounds of weight myself and need a smaller size now. Yay. Booo. Yay. I won't replace all the shorts till spring...who knows what size i'll be then? I'll keep a heavy pair of slacks because they'll fit fine with long johns under them. :D And I'll buy a smaller size jeans and maybe 2 pairs of cargo pants in the right size.

In downsizing (beginning last year) I have worn through what I've kept in the way of lingerie. So I replaced the PJs and need to replace the other stuff. Ugh have to wear a bra while camping? Who heard of such a thing!? hahaha it pulls on my neck muscles and I'm toast after a few hours. Dog doesn't mind a bit ;)

I water proofed my dog's red winter coat... thinking we might get caught in rain before cooler air moves in. (Spent a 10 year "tour" in MO one lifetime...that's the way it was.)

Now shoes. What clothing do I own the thread asks?
Well, I mentioned I wear vionics for high arch support, and have inserts for others.
I might have a pair or two of Birks (birkenstocks) still but won't replace when they wear out.
I have a pair of hiking boots even though I don't hike per se, they are perfect for woods and wild areas. Bought expensive leather ones at the start of my scouting activities in the mid 70s...and they're going strong.
I also have my military black fatigue uniform boots... like new. Just. can't. let. go. of them yet? I have the fatigues to go with :D
Then I have a grey pair of dressier short boots, and a tall pair of gorgeous brown sueded leather boots.... sigh. All coming with me.
A pair of black Tony Little exercising "Cheeks" that leave a literally looking "FOOTPRINT" in the dirt... and maybe maybe I'll bring my white athletic shoes because they are so new. They tie too though, which is tough for me, but I have the velcro adapter just have to put them on.
Oh and I have a pair of dark blue slip ons... which will be my mainstay until they wear out (soon).

And with that I hear my dad's sage comment again, "How many pairs of shoes can you wear at one time?" hahahahahah

DrJean said:
And with that I hear my dad's sage comment again, "How many pairs of shoes can you wear at one time?"  hahahahahah

Did you ever tell him "not enough" just to see what he would say?  lol

Nope, just regular ones. I realized I'll use them often enough that I'd be unfolding and folding them multiple times a day especially since I have a cat as I'd be putting her in the crate every time I took the dog out. My bed frame is high enough I can keep them under it. Since my clothes were the least likely item to get damaged or to cause damage and the weight wasn't too bad as far as tossing them around I chose my clothes as the movable object, and it may pay off. My bed frame isn't convertible and I'll end up needing to use it for my desk chair. I'm going to stack the clothes totes behind me on my bed and use them as a back rest.

Okay, just wondered. I have both rigid and folding dog crates for the cats, and haven't decided which I'll use. I'm sure I'll wait until the last minute.

Ok ladies, some of these topics and posts in the Girls Room are cracking me up! I joined the forum just so I could comment. I do not yet own an RV of any kind, just dreaming at the moment and reading as much on the topic as I can find to get ideas for "someday". I'm a few years from retirement and have a husband who is not into the mobile life and we have four cats and two dogs so who knows when my dream might become reality?

Anyway on the topic of clothes; I live in a very hot climate but I do not wear shorts or sleeveless shirts of any kind. It's capris and short sleeve shirts for me; these are pretty much three season clothes. I also do not wear or own jeans; I find them just too uncomfortable and hard to find in a size to fit someone 5'11" and 250 lbs. Instead I have Lee brand comfort waist pants in four basic colors colors; black, navy, khaki and beige. These can also be worn year round and wash and dry easily and wrinkle free.  I also can't  stand crew neck shirts; the tight neck feels too scratchy! LL Bean pima cotton shirts are the best, silky soft, pretty colors and last for years!

Lots of underwear and socks, two pairs of sturdy comfy shoes and I think I'd be good to go. Maybe throw in a bathing suit and two jackets, one light and one warm. I think I'd follow the weather and seasons so the above should cover me fairly well. Of course over time lots of these notions could change!

TxLady said:
Ok ladies, some of these topics and posts in the Girls Room are cracking me up! I joined the forum just so I could comment. 

Nice to meet you!!!

I'm not on the road yet but took the advice of someone who said to wear fleece to bed. I am definitely buying more fleece pants. Those things are warm and so comfortable!

I plan on bringing t-shirts (I have many free ones, cotton and technical), shorts, a couple of pairs of jeans, wind pants, 2 fleece vests, 2 fleece jackets, rain jacket, and winter coat. And lots of shoes: running shoes and hiking boots.

A word of caution - I definitely find that there is a BIG difference between the warmth of my fleece track pants and the ultra warmth of my fleece thermal long johns and top.

I just checked and the thermal long underwear are 'TMax' brand. I bought mine at Marks Work Warehouse.

Part of the extra warmth I think is because they fit snugly and don't ride up my legs at night.

The other nice feature of the fleece top is that it has the long arm length and the thumb hole built in so that they stay down right over the wrists and the back of my hands. I also tend to snuggle in to the hand area to keep my nose warm. I can tell that I do that because I've woken up sometimes with damp fleece from condensation from my breathe.

Almost There said:
The three that I wore for work all summer are the worst of the bunch and they were the best of the bunch last July. Too many encounters with food products  and about 3 gallons of olive oil will do that to even the toughest material... :rolleyes:

I also have that habit of spilling stuff down the front of my tops, but Dawn dish liquid really is a God Send. It removes the grease and the ketchup stains, better than any other detergent on the market.
Hubby's cousin told me about it, I buy it in 1 gal. jugs at Sams and I use some in the laundry room, some in the kitchen and we even wash our vehicles in it, better than any other stuff you can buy.

Sleep wear. I am a huge merino wool fan, it's king of the outdoors. I have to get a set of heavyweight Smart Wool underwear next year.

Oh, I love merino wool! I used to have two pair of long johns when I worked outdoors a lot in Las Vegas in the winter. I wore them until they literall fell apart. I practically cried when I had to throw them away.

The 400% increase in price is a killer!

I have revisited keeping my cashmere tops. Already I "dry clean" them at home in the dryer.... so I have it on my list to see if a good day's sun will also cause enough steam to "dry clean" them in the same bag.

I'm so allergic to petroleum based products... and even blends I end up "can't wait to get out of them" after 4 hours or so. Cashmere is just perfect for me, especially the few I have that are also silk blend. I know if I give them away I will probably never have any again in my life. This one is very tough. They were bought at the height of my career some 25-30 years again and are like new still....and cost now would be prohibitive both physically and psychologically (why spend that on that?)

They are perfect for cold weather and wonderful even in the low 70s... well, for me anyway... especially with a cool breeze.

Layering is key, as you know (I know you know)... and a light soft sweater top under another heavier sweater under a coat is great for the cold cold days I hope I don't run into. :D

I appreciate this spot for girls only.

I live near REI and the best thrift shop in town. Lots of people with $$$ donate great clothing to this shop that benefits the local animal shelter.

I live in merino wool year tops year round. Why:

It's machine washable in warm water. I use delicate cycle, 6 mins. Hang dry in the SHADE. No shrinkage. Dries fast.

It's anti-microbial and  moisture wicking, does not absorb perspiration. You can wear a single top for a week, maybe two.

Comes in various weights, from 120, the lightest, to 150, standard for summer, to 320, heavier for winter.

It's totally non itch material.

I buy from, Icebreaker, based in Australia, ethical treatment of their sheep.

Icebreaker has sales after December from 50 per cent off to 70 per cent off. Fit varies between styles. They're great about returns. Leave the tags on and use the shipping label to return items free.

Icebreaker does sales at 86 per cent off later in the year. Buy at your own risk, no returns in this category.

Their clothing is pricey but worth the money at big discounts. I live in the stuff. Merino tights under fleece pants really cut down on the cold.

Wool is extremely insulating. I sleep in it when tent camping in cold conditions.

I wear long sleeve white merino wool when hiking in the summer. Used to wear white cotton but due to the anti microbial, moisture wicking, no odor, I switched to lightweight wool.

They make merino wool bras and undies. May try those too. I own various weight sox and gloves of same material. Keeps feet and legs warm when the vehicle floor is cold. Gloves can work as liners inside waterproof big gloves if you get caught in a surprise snow storm.

I found cashmere, merino wool, and silk sweaters at the thrift store. Scored a heavy weight pair of merino wool pants to sleep in. I have to stay warm and these items were cheap.

I do layers, depending on the conditions. Waterproof/windproof hooded jacket, best ones have zippers under the arms to let air in when it's raining and let heat out. Big brim sun hat for high UV's and waterproof hat. (Bob has a photo of one he recommends at the blog or forum), fleece and down hooded vests, balaclavas that go over the head and chin, washable warm jacket with hood. It helps if clothes fold up tight or fit into a stuff sack. I have a sturdy long rain poncho that fits in a zippered pouch, to put over waterproof jacket and pants if it's really raining cats & dogs.

Goretex, it's waterproof, great material for winter boots, jackets, pants, gloves if you are in cold or wet country. REI has a sales outlet online, and you get great deals at their on site Garage sales where they have deep discounts on returned items. Canadians make great snow boots. I've had a pair of Santanas for 20 years. Great tread for winter hiking but when polished they can be worn with city slicker clothing. If you can find a nice used pair of Uggs they will keep your feet warm.

For warm weather, lightweight quick dry pants with bottoms that zip off or pant legs that roll up and attach with snaps so you can wade in the creek. Keene's waterproof sandals protect your toes while walking in rivers. (Using a pair of trekking poles is advisable there too. Coleman's makes inexpensive ones.)

REI free classes are really helpful about dressing/living outdoors and closer to nature. Hope this info is helpful. I roll the summer merino wool tshirts up, as they tend to wrinkle. They hardly take up any space and with 4-5 of them you are laundry free for a month.

Laundry free, as far as shirts go, that is!!