GIRLS' ROOM!!! What clothing do you own?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently got rid of 2/3rds of my clothing and now I am living out of 1 suitcase, and a backpack.
What do you consider items of necessity, as an example, I have recently bought a fleece shirt, quickdrying and for warmth.
I like to be able to hand wash clothing and have them dry overnight.
I also have bought synthetic fabrics, specifically for winter wear. Leggings, and clothing that layers well.
I currently have 1 raincoat, a pair of vans, flipflops and black flats.
Then I own a few pairs of jeans and leggings as i mentioned before.
As far as summer clothes, I have 3 pairs of shorts and several t-shirts and a bikini.
What are some things that you need for either extreme weather, or just in general. As ladies, I know we like to have a variety but it makes it difficult when space is limited.

I'm not on the road yet, but some things that I consider essential now that I'll undoubtedly keep:
Thin merino wool base layer long sleeve tee shirts
2 lightweight down vests
Polyester base layer long underwear - I'd like to switch these for merino wool or silk if I suddenly get rich
Knit cotton tops - sleeveless, tee shirts both long and short sleeve
Evaporative cooling vest - it is UGLY, but does the job. Super ugly evaporative hat that goes with it. Fantastic menopause survival gear.
Packable sun hat
Wool trail socks
Gored Grasshopper tennis shoes - so comfy

Things I'll definitely want to switch out:
Cotton jeans - I have way too many and they're not practical - heavy to wash, dangerous if wet and cold. Nylon would be nice.
My current sandals - they don't have good toe protection - I lust after some Keens
My shorts don't have enough pockets. Pockets are vital.
A much better raincoat/windbreaker.
I'd like to switch out the cotton shirts for rayon or silk if I can find them at thrift stores.

I'm hoping to avoid extreme weather by traveling with the temps, but layering always seems like the best strategy. My priorities will be multi use, layering, easy to wash by hand, don't hold odor too badly (the one big problem of poly) and of course, COMFORTABLE.

A big cold front just passed through this morning, so I'll be switching out my summer/winter wardrobes and doing some decluttering too.

I am currently sorting clothing, the final cut. Having lived many places over the years, I suggest items that layer. The weather has only gotten more strange as time has passed. Also, "comfort". I'm older but I have always leaned toward "comfort". Quick drying is always a bonus. I have one jacket I can't part with and it is bulky and I'm thinking I'll stuff it in a pillow caseand make it useful.

I can go about 3 weeks in between laundry. Keep in mind I have mobility issues so I don't sweat very often or dothings that might require changingclothes more frequently

Lots of undies and socks
1 skirt (only worn once in 4 years)
5 pairs of pants, 2 khakis (can be worn indefinitely) 2 pairs of jeans (1 is black and can be dressed up) 1 pair of dress slacks
5 pairs of shorts
2 pairs of capris
Lots of Ts (long and short sleeves)
4 or 5 long sleeve shirts, for layering
4 short sleeved more dressy shirts.

I do have a bag of "winter" clothes that I hope I don't have to drag out.

I will probably take the same clothing that I've been wearing for the past 15 years: underwear, wool-mix socks, fake denim pants w/pockets, quite a few t-shirts (L & S sleeved), man's LS cotton button shirt, sweatshirts, cotton long underwear bottoms, insulated nylon coat, two pairs of everyday shoes.

Polyester makes me sweat even when I'm cold, and acrylic isn't much better, so I stick with natural fabrics. I would replace some of the above with wool, if I had the money, but mostly I'll stick with cotton. Yes, it takes time to dry, and no, it's not good for a stable body temp if it's wet, but I try not to get into those situations. Planning ahead really helps.

I have a very small wardrobe, I fail at that part of being a girl.
Also, being a fat girl makes clothing shopping not much fun.

Two pairs of jeans a pair of yoga pants, 3 pairs of footless tights, two dresses, One pair of shorts. I hate wearing shorts and would rather wear a dress.
Four shirts, a cardigan.
Two pair of sandals, a pair of winter boots, a pair of everyday shoes on the dressier side of casual.
A hoodie that I only wear around home, a zip up polarfleece jacket, and a couple pairs of "magic gloves" for when it gets really cold (which doesn't happen often in California).
A couple lightweight scarves and a blanket scarf (just the fabric actually, I've not made it yet).
Enough socks and underwear to go a week between washing, although I do laundry more often than that.

I've got dibs on a pullover fleece that my husband owns but doesn't like, I'm just waiting for him to decide if he's willing to let go of it.
I also have a really awesome ScottEvest jacket that fits, but I can't zip it up :( Too much hips and tits. I just can't bring myself to part with it.

KASibson said:

Ditto.  My wife is very tiny and she owns four times as many clothes as I do.  Every single thing I own, except my winter coat, fits in a medium sized rolling duffle.  Makes packing for the road pretty simple.

KASibson said:

I'm with you on this!

I own sweat pants, sweat shirts, tshirts and jeans.  Lots of socks and undies.  I'm getting pretty good at determining what will fit me or not online so I almost don't have to go clothes shopping in the stores anymore.  I even hated doing that when I was a jock.

I hate that all the clothes in "fat girl" sizes are either outrageously expensive or aren't well made (or both).

Bags (handbags/backpacks) are a whole other story though lol.
I have entirely too many of those.

KASibson said:
I hate that all the clothes in "fat girl" sizes are either outrageously expensive or aren't well made (or both).
KASibson said:

x2 if you're fat AND tall!  I can find "plus sizes" and "tall sizes", but plus + tall = SOL
I've just started buying jeans from the men's department.  1/3 the price and twice as sturdy.  "Relaxed fit" generally fits the hips without gaping too much in the waist.
Why can't women's pants be sized by waist & inseam like men's?

mayble said:
Why can't women's pants be sized by waist & inseam like men's?

When they created the sizing standards it was still during an era when it wasn't polite to know a lady's measurements.

Amen, Mayble!! I'm 5'10", in most "womens" sizes the slacks come with a 30" inseam. I hate wearing floods, so, like you, I buy guys jeans. I order from LL Bean and their jeans last for-ev-er!

I have probably way too many articles of clothing because except for t-shirts now, I can go up to 3 weeks between laundry runs. As soon as I hit the states this fall, the t-shirts have to all be replaced.

In addition to a too large collection of grungy t-shirts, I have 4 pairs of shorts, a pair of capris, 3 prs of jeans and 3 prs of convertible pants. Add in long sleeve t-shirts and 5 sweatshirts, a half dozen pair of hiking (wool/lycra blend) socks and we have the mainstays of my wardrobe.

But I also have a tote of 'I can clean up with the best of them' clothing that has a pair of dress shoes and socks, 5 prs of dress pants (different colors for seasonal use), 4 dress tops and jackets/overshirts and 4 winter weight dress sweaters. I know, I know but they were favorite clothes that I didn't want to part with AND I am blessed with the room for storage for them! I can go out for dinner, to a wedding or a funeral any time of the year without going shopping... :rolleyes:

Then there's the tote with the winter ski jacket, hats, mitts and scarf and winter boots.

I also have a rain jacket and a fall/early winter fleece lined flannel jacket.

Hey, I only have one swimsuit and a pair of shorts to wear over it :D

I could wear guys jeans, but my waist/hip ratio would mean I'd either need a belt or I'd have to get jeans that sit at my hips. While that may be the fashion these days, I'm just not comfortable showing that much butt cleavage.

Headache said:
You have an awesome supply of some of the best material to make panties with!
I sew a whole lot of things but my own panties is NOT one of them... :D

I had to use my favorite t-shirts for working in the last three months and they took a beating in that kitchen...they look like they bin drugged through the pig sty.... :rolleyes:

KAS:  "I hate that all the clothes in "fat girl" sizes are either outrageously expensive or aren't well made (or both)."    I finally figured out that most women's clothes are poorly made, compared to men's.  It forces us to to buy more often.  Men wouldn't put up with that sh!t. Even men's t-shirts are better than women's.

"Bags (handbags/backpacks) are a whole other story though lol.  I have entirely too many of those."
In van camping, those are called 'hanging storage units'! They're all different, so you'll know what's in them.

Mayble:  Why can't women's pants be sized by waist & inseam like men's?   
It makes too much sense, so we know it won't happen; so we'll continue to be offered one-size-fits-all hats, and pants that don't fit w/o fixing, beause it's more cost-effective for the mfgrs, who are all male.

Headache:  "When they created the sizing standards it was still during an era when it wasn't polite to know a lady's measurements."   Is that fact or theory?  Do you think more men or women are involved in the initial measuring and design of women's bras?

AlmostThere:  "I have probably way too many articles of clothing because except for t-shirts now, I can go up to 3 weeks between laundry runs. As soon as I hit the states this fall, the t-shirts have to all be replaced."  :s YOU REPLACE YOUR T-SHIRTS?????  I wear mine until they fall apart.  A friend gave me all of her husband's t-shirts after he died, so I figure that I'm set for maybe 30 years... I have my poor old brown one that is ready for the funeral pyre. I think it used to be brown.

TrainChaser said:
 YOU REPLACE YOUR T-SHIRTS?????  I wear mine until they fall apart.  A friend gave me all of her husband's t-shirts after he died, so I figure that I'm set for maybe 30 years...  I have my poor old brown one that is ready for the funeral pyre.  I think it used to be brown.

Some of mine ARE ready to fall apart but most of them are so disgusting that even I'm embarrassed to be seen in public with them on.

I try never to buy plain color shirts because it's a virtual guarantee that the first time I wear them I will spill something with an oil base right down the center and on to the 'shelf'.

The three that I wore for work all summer are the worst of the bunch and they were the best of the bunch last July. Too many encounters with food products  and about 3 gallons of olive oil will do that to even the toughest material... :rolleyes:

TrainChaser said:
Is that fact or theory?  Do you think more men or women are involved in the initial measuring and design of women's bras?

Fact from an ancestry full of tailors.  Sex has nothing to do with my statement but in answer to your question both did.

AlmostThere: "... it's a virtual guarantee that the first time I wear them I will spill something with an oil base right down the center and on to the 'shelf'."

Yes. Sigh. That's how it goes with me, too, without fail. I keep a spray bottle of stain remover where I get dresses/undressed. Sometimes, I even remember to use it.