GIRLS' ROOM: Summer RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebC

Reaction score
Hi all-
I am seriously considering attending the Summer RTR, however it will be without any sort of a rig or van...at least at this point since I don't own one yet and the likelihood of finding the right one before the event is slim. :)

This will be a first for me on many levels:
-The first time boon docking
- The first time trying to sleep in my car ( 2001 Subaru Forrester)
-The first time camping completely alone
-The first time going to meet up with people I have never met

I'm thinking of a very small tent to basically house my stuff so that my car can remain open for sleeping as well as one of those portable shower tents...or maybe I should plan on showering at Pilot??  $11.00 for a shower is a bit pricey though...

Of course, the basic cooler, a one burner propane stove for cooking and all the personal hygiene stuff needed.  That's another first...I've used outhouses before, but never a bucket! Lol

Okay...all you have gone before me in this...feel free to advise me of all your vast knowledge!!

Oh..and are any of you attending?

Thanks-
Deb

Hi Deb,

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that I'll be able to attend the Summer RTR.  It's a beautiful area and l wish I could be 2 places at once -- there and here :).

I was in the Flagstaff area this time last year and showered at the Little America Travel Center ($10, I think).  What was unusual about this truckers' shower facility is that it included a separate large soaking bath tub, in addition to a large shower in each private bathroom.  Very clean, included towels and soap.  Exit 198 off of I-40.

I basically shower because it's the only way I've figured out how to get my hair rinsed clean (longish/thick), about every 10 days.  Between showers, I take nightly sponge baths with spray bottles.

If you haven't slept in your Forrester before, I'd suggest doing a test sleep in it for at least one night ... even if just parked at your residence.  I think a good bed is one of the most important parts of successfully living out of a vehicle.

Your list of items sound comprehensive.  If you are like me, it's easy to over pack.  So, I'd suggest that you edit your stuff, then edit again.  Remember, you'll be close to Flagstaff; so that if you really need something, you can just go buy it.

You may find some helpful tips on my blog from living out of my Prius.  Look in the right column for several how-to articles on how I set up my hatchback.

Enjoy!

Suanne

Hi Deb... big part of the RTR tribe are running units without showers. You would need to pack in your water for a shower & use a solar bag or whatever suits you. Likely running to Pilot this first outing.

I, who have a bunch of years if full timing beyond the current stint in my signature, recently spent 3 weeks rough boondocking in my Mercury Sable rather that be sick at someone else's house!

Sounds like you will be fine. You won't be very alone if you go to RTR other than at night in your own comfy bed.

The bucket system generally smells a lot better than most outhouses. The key, and I will just say it, if you can avoid mixing urine & solid waste you won't have as many smell issues.

Lots use a bug bucket & big bags. I used big dog waste bags & a smaller container inside a bigger bucket so I could sit.

And as above... definitely give sleeping out a test run. You'd be amazed how much difference an inch or a wiggle can make.

Good luck, keep us posted & have fun!

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

I've got a '14 Forester (they have been redesigned in the intervening years, but the footprint is still similar) and have spent a few nights in it, I hope you are shorter than me cuz I don't fit too well at 5'10", but if you're a side sleeper it would be better. Just a couple of tips/thoughts...

A foam pad would be a big help because the area where the seat back meets the seat bottom isn't level and is a bit uncomfortable.

The '01's didn't come with tinted windows and there is a LOT of glass in the Foresters, so I'd suggest some reflectix for privacy, or if you prefer maybe some curtains. Mine has dark tint but I still preferred some coverage.

Suanne said:
Hi Deb,

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that I'll be able to attend the Summer RTR.  It's a beautiful area and l wish I could be 2 places at once -- there and here :).,,,,,
You may find some helpful tips on my blog from living out of my Prius.  Look in the right column for several how-to articles on how I set up my hatchback.
Enjoy!
Suanne
Thank you Suanne for your response and I most certainly learned useful things on your blog.

I already have the urinary gadget from REI and have used it many times while hiking.  I should probably get it out and start practicing aiming it into a bottle! Lol. I remember the first time I used it..not so good...had to finish my hike with wet undies - yuck. 

Hope to meet you one day!
Deb

Hippiechk said:
Hi Deb... big part of the RTR tribe are running units without showers. You would need to pack in your water for a shower & use a solar bag or whatever suits you. Likely running to Pilot this first outing.....
Good luck, keep us posted & have fun!

Hi Hippiechk-
I think you are right about the showers...this being my first time out and all. Besides I've come to the conclusion for me to enjoy this lifestyle I am going to want a toilet and a shower so I'm looking at a Class B and really wouldn't use the equipment I would need to purchase for outdoor shower taking on this trip afterwards.

Also thanks for addressing the liquid and solids issue - good to know. :)

BTW - have been following the fire in Canada..devastating! Praying that the heavens open and plentiful rain falls quickly!

Thanks for responding,
Deb

Queen said:
I've got a '14 Forester (they have been redesigned in the intervening years, but the footprint is still similar) and have spent a few nights in it, I hope you are shorter than me cuz I don't fit too well at 5'10", but if you're a side sleeper it would be better. Just a couple of tips/thoughts...

A foam pad would be a big help because the area where the seat back meets the seat bottom isn't level and is a bit uncomfortable.

The '01's didn't come with tinted windows and there is a LOT of glass in the Foresters, so I'd suggest some reflectix for privacy, or if you prefer maybe some curtains.  Mine has dark tint but  I still preferred some coverage.

Thank you Queen for responding!
I'm only 5'1" so I think I will fit ok..:). I'm glad you mentioned the seat thing - I noticed it doesn't lie flat and would have probably spent countless hours trying to figure out how to take the back seat out!! Lol

I also thought I would need some sort of privacy because of the windows...I'll have to think this through to see what works best.

Hopefully I will have the chance to meet all of you one day!
Deb

Deb, my honey is 5'1" and she fits just fine, so you'll do great! Reflectix is an inexpensive option and will provide privacy as well as insulation so it might be worth a look, you could also repurpose it to your Class B when you get it.

We ended up not using our for camping in, but when I was considering the bed issue I was going to use double thick foam on the low point and single thick on the higher point to try and level out the sleeping area a bit.

DebC, hi! 
I will be there in my small, very small pickup with a shell on the back, two tents. So I can pick where to sleep:) my situation is similar to yours with sleeping in the cab of truck. They are right an inch can make such a difference,  practice, practice! It has taken me three weeks to get comfortable in truck.

I had a suburu out back 2004/that I slept in, I got really comfortable after time, don't know if they are similar.

I am going to do the tub thing suanne spoke of yay! About every third day unless I find water, a river ect to jump in. It is weird at first not showering everyday, but then it can become freeing. I thought one day what I could do with all the hours not spent blow drying ect:)

I am super non threatning, u will see:) if u need anything, I'll be there.  Like what they said we will be so close to flagstaff any discomfort, the modern world is there!

It will be great to meet u!

DebC said:
I already have the urinary gadget from REI and have used it many times while hiking.  I should probably get it out and start practicing aiming it into a bottle! Lol.

Speaking of showers ... they're a great place to practice ... :blush:

Suanne said:
Speaking of showers ... they're a great place to practice ... :blush:

Bwahahaha!

I gotta sit, I am old! I use one of those smaller pails that cat litter comes in in my bucket to pee & collect it as they have a nice secure lid.

And an RTR question?? How is urine dealt with at RTR? Is it also a pack it out thing? Most people I know dump a jug in the firepit, its a natural charcoal filter, but that is one camp of at most a family per square kilometer in these parts.

Hippiechk said:
And an RTR question?? How is urine dealt with at RTR? Is it also a pack it out thing? Most people I know dump a jug in the firepit, its a natural charcoal filter, but that is one camp of at most a family per square kilometer in these parts.

With collected urine, most take a walk out away from camp and water a tree/catus/bush with it.  Just don't keep watering the same plant over and over as it will begin to smell at that spot.

Suanne said:
With collected urine, most take a walk out away from camp and water a tree/catus/bush with it.  Just don't keep watering the same plant over and over as it will begin to smell at that spot.

Because so many were 'walking' it away from camp, I drove it away from camp.

When you're several miles from the paved road it's easy to find someplace where no one would ever be camped nearby. I deliberately chose places that were inhospitable to camp near!

At a dry camp in Quartzsite there were those horrid kangaroo rats...practice there was 'try to fill a rat hole'!

I put a hefty squirt of basic peroxide in my pee pail...it virtually eliminates most of the smell & its not toxic.

And you know those batter bowls, integral handle & pouring spout? Well they are virtually a drop in bowl liner for most RV toilets. Easy to get out & dump into a jug.

Yogidog said:
DebC, hi! 
I will be there in my small, very small pickup with a shell on the back, two tents. So I can pick where to sleep:) my situation is similar to yours with sleeping in the cab of truck. They are right an inch can make such a difference,  practice, practice! It has taken me three weeks to get comfortable in truck.

I had a suburu out back 2004/that I slept in, I got really comfortable after time, don't know if they are similar.

I am going to do the tub thing suanne spoke of yay! About every third day unless I find water, a river ect to jump in. It is weird at first not showering everyday, but then it can become freeing. I thought one day what I could do with all the hours not spent blow drying ect:)

I am super non threatning, u will see:) if u need anything, I'll be there.  Like what they said we will be so close to flagstaff any discomfort, the modern world is there!

It will be great to meet u!

Hi Yogidog,
I'm so happy to know you are going and I sure look forward to meeting you!

It's a great comfort to know I will already have someone in camp I can go to with questions.

I'm a pretty self sufficient kind of person, but I'm sure not afraid to ask questions! :)

Looking forward to June!
Deb

I also drove mine a distance away since I drove to town at Quarstzsite every few days. When I'm camping where I can come across a pit toilet or such, then I dump there.

I find liquid laundry detergent bottles to work great. They have a spill proof lid when tightened down properly and are easy to carry with the built in handle.

Obviously even from just this thread, there are lots of ways to get the liquid in. I found a small oval plastic canister at a $1,00. It can be used standing or squatting. Then a quick pour into the detergent bottle. Keeping a squirt bottle of peroxide or even a vinegar/water solution allows you to give a quick rinse to your initial collection receptacle as needed.

A simple shower booth I've seen others make is to use a cheap hula-hoop that has a few lengths of rope attached. Gather the ropes into a central knot for hanging it (tree branch or maybe even from a roof rack or such over the side). Use a cheap, opaque shower curtain with shower hooks on the hoop to create the privacy space.

Test everything out for how it works for you before you leave home to give yourself confidence.

Thanks for some really great ideas regarding showering and doin'yer bizness.  I'll never look at anyone carrying a bottle of  liquid laundry the same now, LOL and most importantly, the hula hoop shower sounds great!  I was just looking at my shower curtain the other day and wondering what to do with it when I leave - hate to throw it away, but who would want a used shower curtain?  Now I know.  Mine will be the one with the roses on it. :cool: Yes, I know we're camping an all, but hey! LOL I have a shower bathtub thing in my trailer to use, but I like outdoor showers too. I really like the garden/yard spray bottle set up , I've seen some use. Great way to get clean and save water.

Even though I have a full indoor shower I never use it quite that way as its a water hog. I have one of those nifty still ck one end in the water & plug into 12V showers...I use it indoors or outdoors. Can slow the spray down to real gentle & it saves all that pumping.

In my bus, that, hula hoop & shower curtain on my steps was my shower...door open dependant on weather.

Forgot to say...yup, always beware of someone carrying laundry soap & no clothes... or a green nalgene bottle...

Hmm. Just read my post and see I left out a word or two (it was late last night), but I guess everyone could get the gist of it.

Here is just one of the pics it is easy to find with a Google search of something like "hula hoop shower curtain." This woman uses the weed sprayer with it.

I actually carry a shower tent that is quite large when set up -- but you fold it into a self-rolling hoop for storage. Very handy if you don't want to get a lot of extra humidity into your rig.

Attachments

• hula hoop.jpg
    hula hoop.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17