GIRLS' ROOM: I need a solar power dictionary

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RV-Hopeful

Reaction score
Geeze, I've watched youtube, read forums, read solar panel reviews, installation guides, tips, suggestions and each time I just wig out, close down and tear up.

I did too at first!

Think of it kinda like Calculus or algebra, whichever one (or both) left you dazed and confused in high school.... :rolleyes:

Take it in short sessions, let a little bit at a time sink in. Soon it will all become, if not crystal clear, at least not mind numbing, eye rolling in the back of your head.

Oh, and start with one end of the system and work your way, slowly, ever so slowly, to the other end.

Where do you want to start? At the solar panel or at the batteries?

We'll help you know!

It gets easier! My Dad was an electrician & the actual wiring part is a breeze for me BUT & its a huge but. My mind turned to gel & I would melt at the mere mention of 12V. I understand my system & can deal with it but, again with the but, sure glad I have a solar guru buddy!!

Ask questions here, nothing is too dumb...trust me, my guru can give me one'a them looks via text!

I haven't read this book but I hope to.

"Managing 12 Volts: How to Upgrade, Operate, and Troubleshoot 12 Volt Electrical Systems"

I think it takes time. Start simple. I am gaining confidence. It helped that a friend who knows inspected my wiring so I know it's safe.

The title of that book gives me the vapours!

Seriously, I will wire breakers into the main box in a house without blinking but just hooking up my new inverter has me triple checking stuff!

Glad you got a friendly safety check, its a nice place to start from.

XXXXX (my eyes after 2+ yrs. of reading and YT on solar)

I finally got the 'gist' of it, and ?? TOMORROW is the big day... I hired someone to put in my (well, not yet solar) but home batteries in my minivan. Whee. (Will add panels when I get a little more cash.)

Yeah. Hiring can be pricey. :( But at least I'll know it's done right. (Just FYI cause now YOUR eyes may be X's: I'm running house batteries off a countinuous ? soloneid thingy when driving.. LOL )

Glad I finally came to the Girls Room.. Where we all speak ?? *raises eyebrow* Hmm... "LADY SPEAK"!! LOL ;)

I look at the diagrams and think - I got it. Then I start reading more and my head hurts.

Why does this need to be posted in THE GIRLS ROOM?

Is there not a forum for SOLAR AND WIND?

First, one of the main rules of 'The Girls' Room' is that no matter the subject it's a 'GIRLS' room.

Mostly, the subjects are of little interest to the guys so it doesn't matter anyways.

This time it's about something that a lot of the women here feel they are at a distinct disadvantage at when trying to understand. A lot have had a more traditional upbringing and adulthood where we were simply shooed aside and had things done for us. Now as independent adventurers we are trying to wrap our heads around things for ourselves.

Sometimes we just need a little bit of commiserating and encouragement. And sometimes a simpler explanation than the technogeeks amongst us hand out is all that's needed.

I know exactly how y'all feel. I kept reading and watching videos until my head was ready to explode. Then I'd say something to my husband about an article or video we both had just watched and what he said didn't sound anything like what I had just read/watched. So I've decided to wait until we get to Virginia next month and let our son (who is both a Master Electrician AND a solar certified whatever they call him) have a father/son project to get the solar set up.... Mom and daughter-in-law are gonna go visit relatives and hope the men are both still living when we get back. (and the solar is done) :p

I have a pretty technical background, and I'm still learning stuff I didn't know about solar everyday. I have found some of the more basic videos and posts (ie Bob's Electrical tutorial on the blog), really made it a lot more understandable. He takes it from the extremely basic and slowly builds up to the more complicated stuff. Too many of the youtube videos out there are leaving out important information. :(

Deb: "So I've decided to wait until we get to Virginia next month and let our son (who is both a Master Electrician AND a solar certified whatever they call him) have a father/son project to get the solar set up.... "

That's what I need. *sigh* I have a bad case of A.D.D., and when it comes to complicated things that are invisible, I just consider it to be magic.

I've decided to make some phone calls and find out how much it will cost to take my Element to a shop and have the solar installed. Hope it isn't too much over the parts, they are pricey enough.

LadyJo, is there any chance that you could link up with any of the current van dwellers? Most of them seem to be pretty helpful and knowledgeable about things like that. What state are you living in right now? Maybe a PM to Bob could get you some helpful information.

Thank you Cyndi! I did not know about this group. I just joined.
Are there any other groups of mobile people/mobile related groups you are aware of?

Van_Lady

Tons!
On Facebook use the keywords vandweller and RV fulltimers to search for other groups that may interest you.

There's also a couple of Workamper groups, if you're thinking of going that route

The nice thing about posting in the girl's room is that there's always at least one other that understands the kvetching and there is more commiserating and less "fixing." Sometimes it's more important to be heard.

Every time I think I've got the solar power thing figured out somebody mentions a new aspect that wasn't even on the previous list of considerations and then I'm back at the XXXXX eyes. I can't even remember what the latest one was because it just automatically caused the XXXXX eyes and emptied my brain of what I thought I knew. I can know what each of the different things are---volt, amp, watt, amp hour, blah, blah, blah---but stringing them together to figure things out? Ugh!

It's getting to the point where I think I'm going to accept that, just like how an internal combustion engine works, I'm not going to understand the solar power system before using one.

Newbie:  Isn't that the truth!  And there's some misinformation mixed in with the good stuff, which can cause problems with your understanding.

But I am discovering that letting it ferment a while helps.  

And if that doesn't work, write down a list of how you think it works (in order), and then add questions to each step, and then post it and see if someone can put it all together for you .  BOB is especially good at this.  But no one knows the parts you don't understand unless you can name them.

I haven't got solar nailed down yet -- but I think I've got a pretty good grip on insulation.   :D :D :s