Getting rid of more possessions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second the Thrift Store idea. Invariably, the weather will surprise me on a long trip and I'll have to stop in and buy something more seasonal. In which case, I donate something. One-in, one-out is the rule in my van.

I removed the TV before I left home over 3 weeks ago. Haven't missed it for a single moment. I'd much rather stare out the window and watch the clouds roll by or the wind in the trees.

One of my favorite times of the year is spring and fall cleaning :)
When we downsized from 3 bedroom 1 acre home to our current 38 foot fifth wheel we sort of freaked out a bit. Now (nearly 3 years into our home on wheels) i look forward to the first break from the winter rains to open up the cupboards and basement storage areas and thin out more _stuff_ and head to the local donation center.

On technology (tv)...when my wife and i go out on our one-week-every-six mini adventures we don't miss the tv-streams...i'd rather be reading a good book by a real stream!

Thom

Greetings,
On the "mini adventures"...
As hinted elsewhere my wife and i are still enjoying showing up to the workplace (Costco. Me since 1993 and her since 1999). We have in the neighborhood of about 40 days of paid time away from work plus another half dozen of paid holidays. So what we like to do is from about late January through late October we take a Monday through Friday off _about_ every 5th or 6th week. We do this for a couple reasons:

1) It was an easy request to ask for mid-week days off (we've had Wednesday/Thursday off for over a decade) since we live in a touristy town and the weekends are our big business days (Friday>Monday). So all we need to do is use 3 other days off and can have a nice Monday through Friday getaway and then show up refreshed for work during the busy weekends (we like the Retail Rush!).

2) We found that we really enjoy having the mountains/rivers/beaches to ourselves. We are seriously Happy Hermits. Once a year we go to an annual fiberglass trailer event, but other than that we stay primarily off in the woods without hookups or anyone around. We have about 5 or 6 favorite spots in our neighborhood (~2 to 4 hour drive to camp) that are easy and beautiful drives in themselves...with campgrounds looking like this all by our lonesome with a river to ourselves:

2013-08QCring10camp.jpg

or _this 360 degree panorama_ of the same camp shot from the river looking up.

The five days away every few weeks for us was the game-changer in being able to remain active and happy in the workforce. We no longer have any big emotional buildup to a "Three week vacation" that might happen once or twice a year. Now we know that an adventure is just a few weeks away that will bring good memories and an emotional recharge in this crazy world we live in.

Happy Trails,
Thom

Going against the flow, here. After ruthlessly purging for the past several months, we had to go to the store and buy a replacement Pyrex covered baking dish. Can't make decent stuffed peppers without it. Checked the thift shop in Rangely, no luck. Walmart and Kmart in Vernal didn't have them, either. Finally found a TrueValue hardware store with one old dusty baking dish left in stock. A little smaller than I wanted, but I pounced on it. Don't people COOK in Colorado and Utah?

jeanontheroad said:
Don't people COOK in Colorado and Utah?

They cook, it's just that they inherited their casserole dishes from their great grandmothers, so they have no need to buy new ones. ;)

jeanontheroad said:
Finally found a TrueValue hardware store with one old dusty baking dish left in stock.

True Value has EVERYTHING!!!!

(my wife has worked for True Value for over 20+ years.) a very handy thing in my world!! :p

I came down to Cortez, CO, to watch the World Cup. I like a little television and learn a lot about an area, by watching the local news. My third purge of 'the crap that accumulates'. I've discovered that I only need what I use and nothing more. I am always, mostly in good weather. I love this area of Colorado.