Getting crowded?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
in a different thread, I posted how it seems I'm always running into people who are either living this lifestyle, planning to join it, dreaming of the day when they'll be able to. The young man at the body shop who showed me a picture of an RV on his phone; the older gentleman installing a battery who will be retiring soon and he and his wife are almost ready to go; the young man in the bike shop who told me all about his trip a few years ago in a home converted bus.

Today, I was waiting in one of those quick lube places, getting a state inspection and an oil change when I noticed an unmarked school bus pull up to a bay. I watched it for a few minutes but couldn't really see much through the windows from where I stood. When it came time to pay, the cashier mentioned the bus. Seems the guy who owned it was sitting right there and I asked him about it. He has another vehicle that he lives in, too.

My point is, there are many many people doing this. I meet them everywhere I go. Even later, I spied a mini bus in the grocery store parking lot, with bunk beds in it! Pretty cool. Won't be long till we're the majority. Won't those be interesting elections?

Your thoughts?

When I first got into the mobile lifestyle in the 70s not many were doing this kind of thing. But they were out there. When you're new to it nowadays it surprises most folks as to how many of us there are. This forum also makes you notice things. I enjoy giving a big thumbs up when I see someone in their  "Stealth" van. It surprises them and makes them smile.

&nbsp;I find that it depends on the area of the country. Lots of people where the weather is nice. More people where there aren't as many restrictive laws. We had been seeing more people living in cars. Most seemed to be doing it by necessity, not choice but that seems to be diminishing as the recession lifts.<br><br>&nbsp;Getting involved in anything new makes you more aware of all aspects of it. All those people have been there for years - you just didn't notice them! ;-)

&nbsp;&nbsp; I love this site &amp; Happy for all that are surviving By any means-But&nbsp;I do wonder Just how many others that can't afford Internet,Power&nbsp;&amp; don't know about "Cheaprvliving &amp; Vandwelling" are actually "out there"&nbsp;barely making it.I lived on my place for several years with NO power&nbsp;&amp; worked every day.I had a old junker GMC work van &amp; a 17 ft travel trailer sitting in a corn field, I still have the camper, but now&nbsp;I have (3) newer vans, old but liveable,if necessary.yep I have a well,septic &amp; Power,But enjoy the simple life Better. <BR>sparky1in s.va.

" Voting won't be necessary when that happens."

Why not?

My hope is that the more people who do live this lifestyle the more accepted it would be. and that would be good for us!

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Seems quite common in Oz "living on the road"</SPAN> </STRONG></EM>

&nbsp;&nbsp; My concern is the more people know, the more government will regulate. That is why I posted what I did when Bob posted the thread about the people from TV. IMO, doing a video, newspaper interview, etc. will only bring unwanted attention to us. The fleeting personal attention that would bring to the individual doing it would hurt the rest of us long after. You can already see more and more regulation on BLM and NF lands.

i.m.o.,&nbsp; its takes a very strong people, to live in the dirt by the side of the road, on blm or&nbsp;nf or were ever!!. again j.m.o. i personaly don't see alot of people running off, to live in the drit by the side of the road. there a people living in rv's in the city. so much so and for&nbsp;so long now that they a call blacktop campers (ie) living on the steets&nbsp;in rv's on the high in of the scale and car's and finlley sleeping on the street. and none of these people would even think about living in the boonies.they wouldn't be able to support there livesyle there in the boonies&nbsp;. there are alot ways&nbsp;to&nbsp;live&nbsp;&nbsp;cheaper than rv living in the boonies.&nbsp;gary