Gearheads: does this make sense?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand if you haul all that stuff around and tow a cargo trailer your probably going to need that transmission!

Spaceman Spiff said:
Changing a transmission requires a special jack and 4 jack stands. 

Corollary to Murphy's Law:  The part that breaks is the one you don't have.

Oh I'm well aware of what it would entail. I've pulled many engines and trannies but I'm well over 60, so I wouldn't relish doing it. If push comes to shove though, I  could do it. I do have ramps and jackstands and if I go through with the idea, would buy a trans jack (more weight..LOL). I'll have a small motorcycle for backup transportation so I would first try to find a shop that would install it. State Farm Emergency Tow would get me there. You're right, it would still cost but I'm thinking a whole lot less and I could (possibly) be back on the road more quickly.

It's not a perfect plan but the tranny has had regular service, works just fine in my van now and doesn't leak, so I don't think it would be necessary to have a shop check it out.

bullfrog said:
On the other hand if you haul all that stuff around and tow a cargo trailer your probably going to need that transmission!

Ha,ha...good one. And how true. But then I knew that. Oh well, life's an adventure...

from my experience a used automatic that has sat unused for awhile has less then a 50/50 chance of working as intended when tried to put into service. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
from my experience a used automatic that has sat unused for awhile has less then a 50/50 chance of working as intended when tried to put into service.  highdesertranger

That's a good point but I guess it would depend on how long and where it sat. I have thought that the seals would dry up in time. Somewhere I read that the best way to store a tranny would be to fill it up as much as possible with fluid. Maybe bouncing around periodically in the back of the van would be good for it...

Actually, I'd really like to locate one of the few Dodge vans that had manual trannies and do a changeover.