Fun with phone scammers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
How many robo calls, sales scams, credit card offers etc do you get?  Used to be 3/week but the past two months, it is 3-5 a day.  I mostly didn't answer, tried blocking, was going crazy.  Then one day, in a fed up mood, I decided to play along.  And am now having fun with it but the calls have slacked off.  Dang.

The credit card robo calls, which sound like it's about your current card, say press one to speak to our representative.  So I press one.  When the person comes on the line with their spiel about my current card, I tell them I don't have any credit cards, they have all been cancelled, and I would really love to have their card.  But since I had to sell my old computer and no longer have internet access...  about then the line goes dead.  I hope to get to the next part which will be can they send the app to general delivery since I don't have an address anymore.

The scammers who call about my computer being compromised...  I ask them which one? (I don't own one.) He said the microsoft computer and asked when was the last time I was logged in and I said, "hmmm... I guess about six years ago."  Click.  Didn't get any further.  Next tine I will say I'm on it now and see how far I can get with it.

This makes me laugh and now I look forward to these calls!  I answer every one.  Unfortunately, the volume has gone way down.  Rats!

I act really excited when they call, like it's serendipitous. I'll usually say OMG my wife and I were just talking about this (I'm not married ), and then I'll say can you hold on a minute I was just in the middle of *make anything up and put here* and then I just put my phone down, I'll come back on somewhere between 1 to 2 minutes and apologize for the delay, but oh wait, I left something on the stove, I'll be right back.
Then I put the phone down again.
Now when I come back a minute or two later ... this is what I say.
Look, I'm not interested in what you're selling, put me on your do not list or you can expect this time wasting $hit every time one of you calls me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Timmy Hawk,

LMAO!! Will put that in my repertoire, except not ask to be taken off their list. I want them to keep calling (I need to get a life).

I enjoy the call re the Police Benevolency. I say, "I am so glad you called...I really need a donation, what with being homeless and all. How much can I expect?"

Yep, love the calls asking for a donation. I tell them I would be happy to make a donation if they would send me the "forms" and I will send a money order return post. You can really drag that conversation out. Maybe say you're on parole?

I respectfully take issue with hassling phone solicitors. Most of them are poor folks just getting by, trying to make a poor-paying living. Often it is the only job available for people. I worked in multiple call centers as an RN and they, as well as I did, are graded on the number of calls they make in addition to number of sales.

Are the calls a hassle for us? Yes. Do I push the "spam" button on my phone when they call? Yes. Do I let a call go to voicemail if i don't recognize it? Yes.

But, if by chance that I do answer and there is a live person there, I don't even let them get going by saying "Thank you, but I am not interested" and hang up immediately.

They have to go home and feed their kids and pay their rent and I don't want to be the one who causes the poor shlemiel to get fired for not making their numbers. I just don't waste my or their time.
Ted

gsfish said:
I agree with all that Ted said,,, HOWEVER, the title of the thread states 'scammers'. The people wanting to give me a 0% credit card, reduce my student loan (never had one), extend the warranty on my 20 year old truck (never had one, Microsoft warning me of a virus on my computer...

Guy

I just LOVED the Microsoft one.

I would be so earnest, and do my best to click on everything they told me to click. Except I couldn't find the menus and submenus they were directing me to find. Because of course I couldn't. I have a mac. A fact I would neglect to mention. So here I am, poor little old lady, coming close to tears, because I just couldn't figure out my computer.

They always hung up too quickly for my taste.

Jacqueg,

"They always hung up too quickly..." yes, they do.

A news program recently interviewed a young man who had made tens of thousands of dollars suing robocallers. Said he made $20,000 the first six months.
Bought himself a brand new BMW! I did a search ("suing robocallers") and sure enough, you can do that! Seems it is illegal to robocall unless you have given permission. There is even a kit you can buy to guide you through the process ($45).

Thinking about that...and unless the tax codes have been changed, law suit awards are not federally taxable.

And yes, I am talking about scammers and law breakers who want to steal you blind.