Fulltiming in Mini Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, I hadn't seen this one before (), looks like a great and comfortable setup!

i just tossed out the rear and passenger seat. cut in half a pair of 4 drawer chest of drawers, strapped them down, alongside the passenger side. Made an insulated box to hide-sleep in. Cover the chests with old blankets. Very low cost, simple effective. When I"m not in the box, soft stuff, like clothes, spare coat and hat, etc, go out of sight in the box. dark tint film on the windows, move 2x a year like the birds, to avoid heat and cold.

here is a minivan I converted
DSCN1772 (640x480).jpgDSCN1788 (640x480).jpgDSCN1789 (640x480).jpgDSCN1284.JPGDSCN1281 (640x480).jpg the entire interior is held in by two screws and a bolt can be removed in less then five minutes.

Attachments

• DSCN1772 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1772 (640x480).jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN1788 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1788 (640x480).jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN1789 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1789 (640x480).jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN1284.JPG
    DSCN1284.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
  • DSCN1281 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1281 (640x480).jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 91
flying kurbmaster said:
the entire interior is held in by two screws and a bolt can be removed in less then five minutes.

So, are you a finish carpenter? Your work is beautiful. Have you done builds for other folks?

that is very nice of you to say, yes I am a carpenter, and no I have never built one for anyone else, I have a few vans in different countries, I use all of them at different times of the year. This one is a great build not by me but is a tried and true design that has passed the test of time for good reason, economical, stealth, pleasant to drive with all that you need to live in if you can get your stuff down.DSCN1534 (640x480).jpgDSCN1744.JPGDSCN1514.JPGDSCN1581.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1534 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1534 (640x480).jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1744.JPG
    DSCN1744.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1514.JPG
    DSCN1514.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1581.JPG
    DSCN1581.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Those are excellent, do you have any more pictures or details?

flying kurbmaster said:
the entire interior is held in by two screws and a bolt can be removed in less then five minutes.

That's really cool kurb! I believe that's the best looking non-pop-top minivan conversion I've seen.

I've been leaning away from the "wall-of-wood" look recently, but I really like your open cabinets and drawers...I think that really changes the visual dynamic into something I want to give a lot more thought too. Thanks for posting pics  :)

very nice Flying K, impressive wood working skills. hell that's nicer then most houses. highdesertranger

Flying k, Vans in different countries for different times of the year? Do you have a blog? That sounds so interesting

I think there is a difference between a 'mini van' and a 'minivan'. Mini van being more of a cargo version, a bit larger with more headroom. Where as the minivan is passenger minivan with the seats removed... less headroom and width..

myke said:
I think there is a difference between a 'mini van' and a 'minivan'. Mini van being more of a cargo version, a bit larger with more headroom. Where as the minivan is passenger minivan with the seats removed... less headroom and width..
 then there are also the mini mini vans like the Suzuki, that nissan bug eyed thing Escargo  and the like. you could also add the miniminiminivan like Piaggios Ape, or indian tucktucks and now there are a host of Chinese plastic vans used for city maintenance that could fit the miniminiminivan category or perhaps could have a new category like the maximinis or supeminis however those tags might make one think that they are bigger then midminis rather then smaller,  at first glance it seems confusing. That said I think you are right there is a difference between the mid mini like the Astro and the minivan like the Dodge caravan but If you get the Grand Caravan which did not grow the extra 2 inches in height but stretched an extra foot in lenght the total cubic measurement would be similar if not equal or more to the total cubic measurement of the short Astro, if you factor in the seat wells perhaps there would be more space, however given the fact the the pop up rear door can be tented easier then barn doors it could be said that the possibilities of the mini at least in this case are greater then the possibilities of the mid mini,  I don't think there is any confusion. :huh:

CAMMALU no blog, I am afraid of overexposure and it is not that interesting  :)

myke said:

And then there's the Transit Connect which is neither of those.  :p
It can be bought as either a passenger van with lots of windows, or cargo van with very few or no windows, but the dimensions stay the same.  
They both have a high roof and a 4' by 6' cargo area.

So, here's what I'm wondering: An older Toyota Previa has a split back seat. I am tall but sleep on my side and don't need a wide bed. I wonder if there is enough room to build a bed beside the split seat with storage behind it and then have a fold out table in front of the seat? That would free up the middle bench area for cooler/refrigerator and storage.

Anyone have a Previa?