Full-time vandwellers in colder winter climates

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
Merino, silk liners.

Thanks for all the great tips. You reminded me of at least five things I forgot about when embarking on the cold camp. May have to make a list for next time. It is kinda fun to beat the elements once in a while without resorting to fossil fuel, even if just for a couple of days.   ~ crofter

When sleeping in bitter weather, especially if there is wind chill, I wear a full face balaclava in my sleeping bag. Not cotton or silk though: they will get saturated with water vapor from your breath and freeze (speaking from uncomfortable experience). Keeping your head and face warm will make the rest of you feel warmer.

The Dire Wolfess

AMGS3 said:
"" I almost said "it goes without saying" but really nothing on this forum "goes without saying" since there are so many people reading/learning about an issue/subject/question, not just the one person who posted it.""

*** My gratitude for this statement. There is nothing more welcoming than for experienced people to have the wisdom to remember their own "noob" days and allow "noob" questions without judgment. I have not posted yet but have been reading and watching videos. I am becoming more confident that I have questions I can ask and not be snarked at.
Bless you

Moxadox said:
I wear a full face balaclava in my sleeping bag. 

Keeping your head and face warm will make the rest of you feel warmer.

The Dire Wolfess

Balaclava.. me too

head and face... absolutely.  

Another thing.  Keep a set of DRY clothes separate , and sleep in those.  Even sweat can cause you a problem.  

I remember an overnight backpacking trip years ago, when I was much younger, during which I slept in the clothes I had hiked in.  I was very cold that night.  Later, I learned about separate sleeping clothes, and have since been much warmer sleeping in cold weather.  

Hope this helps,

WP

#1. layering.

#2. as WP said, your under clothes get sweaty if out hiking or other physical activity, and then you get a chill. You need to change your "undershirt" immediately afterwards, and certainly before you go to bed. I also figured this out the hard way.

I got a hat at a second hand shop that is lined with silver dots inside, some kind of miniature reflectics for clothing. Forgot all warm hats on the cold camp trip, but if I had that hat I might have been warmer.  I am not able to keep that one on if I am active, it traps so much heat. 

And I also forgot my balaclava. The list will be necessary on my next cold camp.    ~crofter