Full-time minimal set up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
I'm doing an extensive spread sheet (nothing else to do with my time apparently) of dream, okay and bare bones needs. 

I will be getting a cargo trailer that will be converted.  It will have a 15 amp shore plug.  My power needs to start will be a vent fan, a couple LED lights and charging my phone and tablet.  I will be honest here and say that battery and solar power perplex me, but that's another post for another day. 

Anyway, I will have to choose between a generator and solar -- can't afford to do both out the gate.  I have been thinking a generator makes more sense because it will always be available to charge batteries but I won't always have sun.  I have no clue how to connect a battery in my cargo trailer to my vehicle battery to charge when I'm driving (see "perplex" statement above).  So let's make some assumptions:  Let's assume I can figure out how to charge a house battery with either a generator or solar.  But what really would be the most sensible arrangement for the least amount of money to reliably get me the power I need until I can get a really good set up?  One 100 watt panel, a mediocre controller and inverted and a couple car batteries?  A generator and a couple crap car batteries? 

Yeah, I'm in over my head on this.  Someone save me!

IIWM, I'd go with the generator - a Honda 1000 will do and if you ever get to be like me and need more generator power, the 1000 can be paired with another 1000 by adding a parallel power cord. Each of them is far easier to lift in and out of the trailer/vehicle than the 2000 which may always be overkill for you, depending on what you end up with for power needs.

You'll need a battery charger that is sized to go with your battery(ies) and some wiring done. Or you could just use the clips that come with a battery charger for now until you do wiring.

Rather than a pair of crap batteries, I'd try to get at least a fairly good battery. Yes, newbies to power generating tend to kill their first battery but if you want to learn, it's better to learn on something that isn't going to, well, crap out at first opportunity. People generally tend to treat good things better than if they already thinks it's expendable.

You're going to have to buy the battery anyways, no matter which way you go. The generator will be a little more expensive than the solar but not by much after you figure in all the parts. BUT with the generator you're assured of having a way to charge the battery and hence power the things you need to power. With nothing but solar you are dependent entirely on Mother Nature and we all know how fickle she is.... :D

"Someone save me!" that's what we are her for.

what do you want to run with your setup?

we can help you to get a charge system from your tow vehicle to. I forget do you have the trailer and truck yet? highdesertranger

Your power draw is really low... how long will you be in one place? If you're going to be in place for maybe a week at a time, you might be able to get away with alternator charging alone. It's a lot cheaper than the other two options, and this site could get you through the install.

It all comes down to how much power you will use per day, how many days you will be in one place, and how much battery you have (how many amp-hours).

If you buy a modest sized and priced inverter generator in the 1000-1500 watt range, about $400 to $600 or so, then spend about $500 on a modest solar system, then you could have both for a very reasonable amount of money.

If you plan on AC, that generator will run a 5000 btu window unit. ( not a roof AC)

It might run a microwave, depending on the power level, but a 600-700 watt microwave should be ok.

It would also run a decent sized battery charger.

Not all at the same time tho! (one at a time)

Alternator charging on a trailer is going to require some substantial re-wiring in your vehicle. My truck really has no effect on keeping my batteries charged at all...too far of a distance with small wire gauge = not getting much voltage back there. By the time you invest in heavier wire to go from the alternator to the plug and then to the battery/ies you may as well have bought a 100W portable solar panel that would probably work better.

while it's true that you won't get big amps that far from the alternator, you will get some. and some is better then none. I mean your driving anyways why not get something out of it. trucks with factory tow packages already have the truck side done. highdesertranger

The answer for long term boondocking is both. In the event you have to chose I would say a generator because using it will show you how much power you use and how much solar you need. Then again the Sportsman 800/1000 inverter generator was under $200 on sale and a 160 watt portable solar kit is $179 at SolarBlvd.

I would try to get set up with things that will continue to be useful to you as you add on. Some of the feedback you get may sound as if it's coming from many different places. It is in a way, but it is almost always good info in order to really be informed and to make the best decision for you, and the info tends to all work together. My deal is that I got too excited and/or impatient about things and really jumped the gun. I need to slow down, learn about the different systems I'd like to be able to use, and come up with the best plan possible for me before investing a bunch on money, if possible. If it were me, and others will chime in if I'm wrong, I'd begin with a sealed battery in the vehicle and then look at a pair of 6v golf cart batteries if not 2 pair in the trailer. What humblebeginnings said, those are the first answers needed in order for folks to help. Batteries are the heart of the system. I'm new too, so giving you a heads up if it helps. Best to you!

I’m going against the tide and say solar on your cargo trailer. Gennies, while nice to have in inclement weather or at night, need maintenance, regular usage, gas and oil, then there’s where do you store it and the smelly gas... then the noise factor.  

So since your needs are so little I’d say solar, after a 4 gauge charge wire (with a return negative) run back from your alternator in the suburban, fused of course, and through a continous duty 100-200 amp solenoid.  Child’s play for some RTR friends to install for you.

So there, 100 votes for a gennie, 1 for solar...  :D

I would like to clarify, I did not mean use the tow vehicle as your only means of charging. I am in the camp that believes to use all means available. highdesertranger

mothercoder said:
It will have a 15 amp shore plug.  My power needs to start will be a vent fan, a couple LED lights and charging my phone and tablet. 
One 100 watt panel, a mediocre controller and inverted and a couple car batteries?  A generator and a couple crap car batteries? 
I'd vote for 100-200w of solar, a 10-20A controller (even a $20 PWM will do for now) and a single large marine walmart battery with cells that can be opened and water refilled.  I rarely say that last part, but:
  • your needs are minimal
  • the battery would be easy to source
  • and easy to exchange if/when it dies an early death
  • When the marine battery dies you can use the core charge against a better battery, as needed
A 200W renogy kit + wally world battery would be something like $400.

But the easy to exchange part seems to mean NAPA sourced.

I'm guessing that level of quality won't be worse than Wally, shorter drive seems to be a critical factor.

To start I'd choose a generator for power regardless of weather, and to give you the time to figure your solar needs. I just read with great interest a thread started by you, "key start generator", and wish to thank all contributors. The generator together with a proper battery charger will be of great benefit for your power needs, both now and unforeseen, as well as maintaining the battery bank. I also agree with highdesertranger in that, in the end, all means of charging are desired. This is our ultimate goal, achieved in due time.

Thinking back to the alternator charging suggestion, it would probably be more efficient to mount the house battery closer to your starting battery, then run your wires for your small electrical loads back to the trailer. That would also allow you to keep your battery charged up when you're not towing your trailer.

Mothercoder,

If you want to run a hair dryer, the 1000 watt generator won't cut it. You would need a 2000 Watt unit. Most hairdryers run about 1500 watts.

I made the mistake(or I thought it was at the time) of taking my old 1800 watt Coleman generator along on the last camping trip and my Wife got to use her REAL hairdryer for the first time boondocking without any shore power. She was one happy camper to say the least and now it is required equipment. She has a 12 volt unit but it is pretty pathetic and it is more like a little fan that blows warm air.

It ended up being a good thing that I had it along because where we were camping was pretty heavily treed and it was a real chore having to move my 200 watt solar panels chasing slivers of light thru said trees. Generator to the rescue which has a built in 15amp battery charger. I ran it 1-2 hours a day and it did a good job in keeping the batteries up to a acceptable level. The only issue with this generator is that it weighs 60lbs and is pretty noisey since it is an old school unit but in excellent condition.

There are numerous 2000 watt units available in the $500 price range that weigh less than 50lbs but yes the Honda is the best and it is also $1000 for the 2kw unit. 100 watt solar panels can be had for just a little over $100 on Ebay. I have 2 mono panels and a $15 charge controller that works just fine. I currently have 2 group 24 Marine deep cycle batteries in parallel from costco ($140~) which are on their 2nd year and working just fine but I do baby them and are on a float charger all the time when the rig is at home.

When I am out by myself, I just have the panels with me but we live in Arizona and have plenty of sun. My truck is also factory wired with a charge wire and when I checked the charge current it was 8 amps @14v at idle.

-Mike

I like to drive into town if the weather is bad for more than a couple of days. Either way I'd educate myself a bit further about options and calculating actual power needs.

Almost There said:
IIWM, I'd go with the generator - a Honda 1000 will do and if you ever get to be like me and need more generator power, the 1000 can be paired with another 1000 by adding a parallel power cord. Each of them is far easier to lift in and out of the trailer/vehicle than the 2000 which may always be overkill for you, depending on what you end up with for power needs.

You'll need a battery charger that is sized to go with your battery(ies) and some wiring done. Or you could just use the clips that come with a battery charger for now until you do wiring.

Rather than a pair of crap batteries, I'd try to get at least a fairly good battery. Yes, newbies to power generating tend to kill their first battery but if you want to learn, it's better to learn on something that isn't going to, well, crap out at first opportunity. People generally tend to treat good things better than if they already thinks it's expendable.

You're going to have to buy the battery anyways, no matter which way you go. The generator will be a little more expensive than the solar but not by much after you figure in all the parts. BUT with the generator you're assured of having a way to charge the battery and hence power the things you need to power. With nothing but solar you are dependent entirely on Mother Nature and we all know how fickle she is.... :D

Okay, stupid question but can't I use the generator to charge the battery? 

I agree on doing generator over solar for now.  I was planning on a 2000 because I will have a 5000 BTU window AC unit and I think I'll need a 2000 for that. 

My understanding was that if you were going with a deep cycle battery, it's better to get two right away if you think you'll need/want that much later on.  Reasoning that the batteries should be the same age or the older battery will affect the performance of the newer battery.  But if I"m going to get an AGM, one may be all I can afford so I may have to take that risk.

My biggest question, however, is how to connect the battery to the trailer's electrical.  And how to connect the battery to the car so it's charging when I drive.  I do plan on putting a utility box on the tongue of the trailer for battery(ies) but as to the wiring/connectivity, I'm a clueless bunny.  I can do it myself...I just need to know how.  I'm a very good student.   :D

highdesertranger said:
"Someone save me!"  that's what we are her for.

what do you want to run with your setup?

we can help you to get a charge system from your tow vehicle to.  I forget do you have the trailer and truck yet?  highdesertranger

This is my "save me" spot.   :D 

To run with my setup:  ceiling vent fan, a couple interior LED lights, 12v compressor fridge, charge phone and tablet, perhaps a regular table lamp from time to time.  I will use the generator to run the AC. 

Chevy Suburban + 6x10x6 cargo trailer.

HumbleBeginnings said:
Your power draw is really low... how long will you be in one place? If you're going to be in place for maybe a week at a time, you might be able to get away with alternator charging alone. It's a lot cheaper than the other two options, and this site could get you through the install.

It all comes down to how much power you will use per day, how many days you will be in one place, and how much battery you have (how many amp-hours).

I guess I wasn't clear.  I've done a power needs assessment and I think I know how much power I will need.  The real issue is figuring out how to charge whatever battery I get and how to connect it to the existing wiring in the trailer.