Front windshield Sunshade, RETRACTABLE!?! DOES THIS WORK!?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance22

Reaction score
Okay, not sure where is best to post this.. however...

Has anyone used any of these newer methods to cover the front windshield?!?

There is an umbrella design to cover the front windshield Here is an Amazon link..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CBRVNYVF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=&psc=1

Also a sliding one that looks to slide across the entire window.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TDH59Q2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A2DYPJ8CV9O3WO&th=1

Where as THIS is the one I was leaning towards the most.. it's RETRACTABLE. I'm not sure about the sizes and how it would fit or it it would need to be cut or anything to fit but.. a simple up and down shade or sliding one would be SO EASY to do on the daily.

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Re...1c5-9f3a-6c4c0b205720&pd_rd_i=B0D93CZ7M5&th=1

Has anyone tried any of these? Pretty cheap so I might just give it a go myself but figured I'd ask..

Also planning on looking for some cling tint window coverings for the front side windows. The 2nd row windows I have blackout curtains (the Minivan lee's method) and the 3rd row and black will be left in place. ( I bought the weathertech coverings but bought fabric and binder clipped them and took off the binder clip feet and they fit well, I like it) including the back window once I get my blind spot mirrors glued onto my side mirrors. I HATE having to waste time with putting in and out window coverings so If it can be simple and quick then I'm all in!

Figured I'd ask since I'm sure somebody has to have tried them already. The umbrella one does make me wonder how much easier it would be.. but I have an 06 Honda Odyssey minivan. Not super concerned about blocking out heat just blocking out light and so people can't see me inside hunched over a stove cooking food. haha.

I mean putting up reflects for the night is one thing.. but when you gotta do it 3-4 times a day it be nice to have something that takes 6.7 seconds and that's IT vs 90 seconds.

Keep It Simple, Sweetie, is my suggestion.

The quilted aluminum reflectix, cut to fit and put on the inside, works great.

No mechanicals to fail or wear out, just your own two hands.

It is simple, sweetie..

roll down maps have been in classrooms for decades and simply gluing or mounting them on the dash isn't complicated and reflectix wear out just like everything. I have a cut out reflectix from weathertech that is massive and no where to store the thing! Plus store bought typical dash covers that work but leave gaps and take time to position and fold up..

Now simply rolling them up and down if they are mounted on the dash would be super easy beyond belief!

Now that I think of it.. a tension rod with a curtain that you remove when driving and store away might be another alternative. Might need a secondary tension rod for the lower part to keep the curtain towards the window, but still it be easy to set up and storage be simple Plus I wonder if that curtain tension rod could double as a behind the driver seat curtain to seperate the front row seats from the back..hmm..

Nothing worse than fighting gravity with reflectics it's the NIGHTMARE of van life! at least for me. That's why I switched to curtains on the side and the rest are getting reflectix that are permanent aka tapped to hell into place!

You don't mind fighting with reflectix to stay into place then have fun, just don't volunteer me to as well thanks sweetie!

I think the easiest way to review those different types of windshield covers is to look for video reviews of them on YouTube. I myself would prefer to see such things being installed and removed in a video and what they look like in position rather than seeing photo stills and drawings made for marketing purposes that have been enhanced and digitally manipulated and/or written descriptions. Go for the live action reviews, that will tell a better story.